Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rich brenz

Default Hydraulic cylinder source?

Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? Google was fairly worthless.

TIA,
Rich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
~Roy~

The cylinders normally used by most were usually found at The Surplus
Center or American Scientific, both of which no longer have any of
them. They were surplus items so their supplies were limited. I also
have looked for them as I would like to have a few more for some odds
and ends. The only opeion I have come up with is to find a suitable
air cylinder, and perhaps experiment with it. No reason it could not
be made to work. If the seals are satisfactory for the liquid used, an
air cylinder would work just fine, and with the vast array of air
cylinders out there may even work out better in the long run with more
options on mounting etc.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Try Murphy's industrial supply in El Cajon California. This guy has
about a jillion of everything.
Just 411 for that place.
I have no affilliation with it just refering

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

rich brenz wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? Google was fairly worthless.

I modified a 7x11" Wellsaw 58B using the smallest Prince cylinder that Surplus
Center sells. This is a new cylinder, unlikely they're out of stock. I think I
paid about $50 for it. The key to this thing is the needle/check valve. I got
two back when I was modifying my saw, don't think I'll ever need the other one.
It's a Parker item, costs a ton new, email me offline if you are interested in
it. It's a check valve/needle valve combo unit, and they work great in series
with a shutoff valve. Set needle valve to desired feed rate, cut your part, lift
saw just enough to clear, throw shutoff valve (saw stays up), move your part to
cut the next one, throw shutoff valve and the saw feeds again.

GWE
To email me, see http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you are in Canada or near the border check out Princess Auto. I
think they also have a web site. Don't know if they will ship outside
Canada, though.

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
S Young

rich brenz wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? Google was fairly worthless.

TIA,
Rich

Sell your current saw and buy this - http://tinyurl.com/zcmgc

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

rich brenz wrote in news:4ChNf.30$T54.17
@fe07.lga:

Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? Google was fairly worthless.

TIA,
Rich

http://www.parker.com/EAD/displayCat...d=46&menu_gid=
129&menu_divid=-1&catid=169190&catdesc=HYDRAULIC%20PUMPS/MOTORS%20VALVES%
20AND%20CYLINDERS%20FOR%20INDUSTRIAL%20MACHINERY&s ubcatid=218748
&viewtype=1&sMode=Details

Or:

http://tinyurl.com/mbh9l

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

in the storage container I'm helping a friend clean out is a medium
sized pile of hydraulic cylinders - the one I brought home to try and
sell is about 2 feet long with aprox 4 inch diameter (maybe 5?)
piston, dual acting - there are some smaller ones, maybe some larger
ones - what size do you need?

wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? Google was fairly worthless.

TIA,
Rich

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

I'm looking for one at least 2x12" (bore/stroke) with an end-face mount (square
flange at the end through which the shaft protrudes).

GWE

wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? Google was fairly worthless.

TIA,
Rich

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rich brenz wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? Google was fairly worthless.

TIA,
Rich

As others have said, the ones most folks were using were surplus and,
as with all surplus, they've run out. The ones I bought from Surplus
Center were originally from some type of home gym workout equipment,
might give you some ideas if you go dumpster diving or Saturday garage
sale prowling. I've never seen a home gym setup with hydraulics, but
you might be able to find the manufacturer and get spares. At least
one cutoff bandsaw I used, I think it was a Greenlee, used a small
pneumatic cylinder as a cutting rate controller. Worked as well as the
hydraulic ones.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

For driving something or just slowing down the feed, etc?

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

"rich brenz" wrote in message
Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? Google was fairly worthless.

TIA,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
eyeclinic

Slowing down the feed...

Rich

For driving something or just slowing down the feed, etc?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

Expensive, but awesome... Deschner.

http://www.deschner.com/home.html

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

V8013-R

"eyeclinic" wrote in message
Slowing down the feed...

Rich

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
For driving something or just slowing down the feed, etc?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

rich brenz wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? ...

What is so poor about the spring regulated feed? I can see if the feed
was way too high or way too low it would be bad for the blade and/or
affect the cutting speed, but it seems that there is a pretty wide range
of pressure/feed that works "just fine" (or good enough). No?

Just trying to learn,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
S Young

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
rich brenz wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for a source of hydraulic cylinders for a
small bandsaw mod? ...

What is so poor about the spring regulated feed? I can see if the feed
was way too high or way too low it would be bad for the blade and/or
affect the cutting speed, but it seems that there is a pretty wide range
of pressure/feed that works "just fine" (or good enough). No?

Just trying to learn,
Bob

Just got to thinking... OP never said anything about a mod to the feed
system - just a mod. Actually, inquiry was about cylinders - plural.
Wouldn't need more than 1 for the feed mod. Maybe he wants a
hydraulically operated vise?