Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air or electric cylinder?

Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks fired this volley in news:c6-
:

Yep, ant that would be a good option. I still will figure out how to
get the required push but we;re leaning toward air. Thanks.

Tom,
Not only is air the simpler solution (although I use motorized
positioners, too), but it's just as "springy" as you'd want.

One application I have requires that the pressing rod be able to retract
_instantly_ under explosive force. There's nothing for it, but to use an
air cylinder (with an especially long stroke, in my case) to ensure that
nothing-but-nothing obstructs the travel of that rod if it must be
ejected from the zone by the action of an accident inside the pressing
area.

I.E.-- I might use a 6" stroke for a 2" travel, so that I can make sure
there's not excessive force required to back the rod out of it's zone
when required.

LLoyd