Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "T" into drain line

I need to install a diswasher drain line into an existing 1 1/2" white
plastic drain line. The line is all glued in place with no give. There
is a place where a foot or so can be cut out but no way to move side
to side.

Surely some part is made to solve this issue. What do I need?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/14/2013 7:43 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to install a diswasher drain line into an existing 1 1/2" white
plastic drain line. The line is all glued in place with no give. There
is a place where a foot or so can be cut out but no way to move side
to side.

Surely some part is made to solve this issue. What do I need?

Karl

Is there a garbage disposer? Usually a dishwasher drains into the
garbage disposer. Mine does.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to install a diswasher drain line into an existing 1 1/2" white
plastic drain line. The line is all glued in place with no give. There
is a place where a foot or so can be cut out but no way to move side
to side.

Surely some part is made to solve this issue. What do I need?

Karl

Well that sounds like ABS so the easy method would be a saddle fitting.
They look like a normal Y or T with 1/2 the fitting sawn away.
You drill a hole into the side of the pipe and then apply cement to the
fitting and glue it over the hole. Many have room for hose clamps to
lock them down tight as well.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/14/2013 10:43 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to install a diswasher drain line into an existing 1 1/2" white
plastic drain line. The line is all glued in place with no give. There
is a place where a foot or so can be cut out but no way to move side
to side.

Surely some part is made to solve this issue. What do I need?

Karl

I've seen saddle "T"s at Home Despot and thought: "How COOL!".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/14/2013 10:43 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to install a diswasher drain line into an existing 1 1/2" white
plastic drain line. The line is all glued in place with no give. There
is a place where a foot or so can be cut out but no way to move side
to side.

Surely some part is made to solve this issue. What do I need?

Karl

If you can't find one, cut a hole in the line with a hole saw. Cut a
"T" in half lengthwise and remove any protrusions and glue and hose
clamp in place.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 May 2013 11:17:20 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 5/14/2013 10:43 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to install a diswasher drain line into an existing 1 1/2" white
plastic drain line. The line is all glued in place with no give. There
is a place where a foot or so can be cut out but no way to move side
to side.

Surely some part is made to solve this issue. What do I need?

Karl

If you can't find one, cut a hole in the line with a hole saw. Cut a
"T" in half lengthwise and remove any protrusions and glue and hose
clamp in place.

I'll look for a saddle fitting, probably do this for temporory if i
can't get it right away. Milady is getting a new kitchen remodel and a
new dishwasher is part of the deal. I'm upgrading the water and drain
lines so it can be winterized in a few minutes. Twelve years of
crawling under the old one to disconnect is enough.

This is a last appliance to upgrade. Now, I'll be able to get the
house ready for winter within 20 minutes after I get the word, "let's
go fishin' "

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 14, 8:50*am, George Plimpton wrote:
On 5/14/2013 7:43 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I need to install a diswasher drain line into an existing 1 1/2" white
plastic drain line. The line is all glued in place with no give. There
is a place where a foot or so can be cut out but no way to move side
to side.

Surely some part is made to solve this issue. What do I need?

Karl

Is there a garbage disposer? *Usually a dishwasher drains into the
garbage disposer. *Mine does.

Needs a vacuum break if you do it that way, usually modern sinks have
a knockout for that, looks like a small chrome cup upside-down.
Actually, you should use the vacuum break on any sewer connection from
a dishwasher, keeps from getting backflow and contaminating the
potable water supply. Dishwasher should never drain directly into the
sewer. Codes got strict on that decades back.

Also, be aware that there's a pump in the dishwasher that will retain
water. If the house gets below freezing, likely the pump will be in
pieces, just like one in a clothes washer will. Would need the RV
antifreeze treatment. That's if we're talking summer home here.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 May 2013 09:43:00 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I need to install a diswasher drain line into an existing 1 1/2" white
plastic drain line. The line is all glued in place with no give. There
is a place where a foot or so can be cut out but no way to move side
to side.

Surely some part is made to solve this issue. What do I need?

Most are installed in the -downside- of the P-trap, near the vent.
Mine has a short, 3", pipe inserted there with the dishwasher nipple
in it.

TIP:
Be sure to install it with the nipple UP so it doesn't send greywater
back toward the dishwasher. When the checkvalves plug up or go out,
they leak it back into the dishwasher. DAMHIKT.

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to install a diswasher drain line into an existing 1 1/2" white
plastic drain line. The line is all glued in place with no give. There
is a place where a foot or so can be cut out but no way to move side
to side.

Surely some part is made to solve this issue. What do I need?

Most are installed in the -downside- of the P-trap, near the vent.
Mine has a short, 3", pipe inserted there with the dishwasher nipple
in it.

TIP:
Be sure to install it with the nipple UP so it doesn't send greywater
back toward the dishwasher. When the checkvalves plug up or go out,
they leak it back into the dishwasher. DAMHIKT.

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon

The plumbing supply place should carry a tailpiece the part that attaches
to the bottom of the sink drain basket that has a dishwasher drain tee'd
into it . I have one in brass that was removed when I installed a disposal
.... one key to preventing backflow into the DW is to loop the drain hose up
as high as possible under the countertop - I usually tie that loop to one of
the sink clamps .
--
Snag