Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default "J" & "P" Under Sink Drain Traps: Differences Between ?

Hello:

A bit confused over terminology on this, was wondering if anyone can clarify
it for me.

Regarding the typical under sink bathroom drain traps:

I always thought these U-bend assemblies were called "J" Traps.

But I see that in some text they term them "P" Traps.

What are the differences between a J and a P Trap, then ?

Couldn't find any good pix of these two types; anyone know of any links
showing differences, etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Robert11 wrote:

A bit confused over terminology on this, was wondering if anyone can clarify
it for me.
Regarding the typical under sink bathroom drain traps:
I always thought these U-bend assemblies were called "J" Traps.
But I see that in some text they term them "P" Traps.
What are the differences between a J and a P Trap, then ?
Couldn't find any good pix of these two types; anyone know of any links
showing differences, etc. ?

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Elbow%20trap

A thousand words is as good as a picture.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Sometime between now & the time I learned my plumbing skills at my
father's side they came up with all thiese extra BS names

Rico I found the same webspage but (at least for me) the links to the
trap types appear broken or do not produce a picture.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

BobK207 wrote:
Sometime between now & the time I learned my plumbing skills at my
father's side they came up with all thiese extra BS names

Rico I found the same webspage but (at least for me) the links to the
trap types appear broken or do not produce a picture.

That's why I wrote a thousand words are as good as a picture and gave
it a little smiley. The description should be sufficient for the OP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

A bit confused over terminology on this, was wondering if anyone can clarify
it for me.

We call them S & P traps in Australia.

P traps are shaped like a letter P and S traps are shaped like an S.

P traps drain sideways & S traps drains down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

from buffalo ny: don't get "trapped" by the letters, the common P trap
has both removable nuts. other less common J trap has a captive nut
[where the short side of the trap has its own nut that screws upward
onto the threaded wall arm]. there are many varieties of traps in
plumbing but mostly just replace the kitchen with 1-1/2" and the
bathroom sink with 1-1/4" often found as a combination sized trap with
extra insert adapter in the bag for the smaller sink size.

i agree with the lack of photos.