Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default Free!! V-belts

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
I have a steel "pallet box" filled with new old stock v-belts that
needs to go away. Long ones, short ones, A/B/C v-belts of all types
and styles

Got machinery that needs V-belts? Come and get this box for free and
you deal with sorting them out. Take what you dont need to the swap
meet, stockpile em, etc etc. Get em off my hands. The box is 4'x4' x
5' tall and is about 2/3rds full. Probably 2000 lbs of v-belts of all
types. They are about 10 yrs old..but have never been used. Got a
factory/facility that uses belts? Come and get em. Free-Free-Free. You
simply have to take them all.

*****

County is on my ass because of a complaint in 2011...2 yrs
ago..between me and an ex neighbor who thought one of my dogs killed
one of his (it wasnt). He couldnt find anything else to "get me "...so
he complained about that cargo container..which has been there since
2008ish.

Ive got an empty lot beside me that I have permission from the owner
to "if you keep it neat and mowed..you can use the back of it behind
the row of trees in the alley" So I put a 25' cargo container back
there, a small sailboat, a utility trailer and that box of v-belts.
Cannot be seen from the street. Now the county finally got around to
addressing the complaint from 2 yrs ago.

The neighbor has moved away..but the county wants me to remove the
"illegal dumping" and gave me 7 days to do it.

I can probably get them to give me extra time, but Im trying to find
the property owner so I can rent the lot, then put up a fence "to
enclose the property items".

My forklift of course is still broken, sigh.

The cargo container...is going to be a problem. Despite the fact
that there are many others in my neighborhood...and Im in an
unincorporated part of the county....they want it moved. And its full
of machinery that is going to need a forklift to move.

Anybody want a nice heavy duty steel utility trailer with a pickup
cargo body mounted on it? Best offer and come and get it.
The cargo body needs the locks replaced/repaired. and probably a coat
of paint. The original utility trailer was used by NASA to move
batteries of some sort around....I was told.

I need to get that forklift up and running ASAP. Or another
one..damnit

I just got off the phone with the enforcement lady..and she gave me a
little time..but not a hell of a lot. So come and get your belts, buy
the trailer..and get yourself some Good Stuff.

Gunner

It sucks when you're under pressure but it can be a blessing in disguise. I
got rid of a lot of stuff recently and I don't miss any of it. In fact I
should get back to ridding myself of "material surplus to current needs".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-02, Ignoramus9170 wrote:
I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

Oh, and I will be taking two dead GMC TopKick dump trucks to a scrap
yard tomorrow. One has 10,000 miles and another, has 15,000 miles. But
both were salter trucks and are hopelessly rusted. The engine was
working on one of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

On 2013-05-02, Ignoramus9170 wrote:
I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

Oh, and I will be taking two dead GMC TopKick dump trucks to a scrap
yard tomorrow. One has 10,000 miles and another, has 15,000 miles. But
both were salter trucks and are hopelessly rusted. The engine was
working on one of them.

I was able to barter a lot of scrap metal for clean up labor and got a
pretty good price for two vehicles. Now I have some space in my yard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-02, Ignoramus9170 wrote:
I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

Oh, and I will be taking two dead GMC TopKick dump trucks to a scrap
yard tomorrow. One has 10,000 miles and another, has 15,000 miles. But
both were salter trucks and are hopelessly rusted. The engine was
working on one of them.

I was able to barter a lot of scrap metal for clean up labor and got a
pretty good price for two vehicles. Now I have some space in my yard.

A lot of scrappers, are equipped with machinery and experience to deal
with junk and scrap efficiently, and cleaning up your place is no big
deal to them.

I recently bought two junk forklifts for $100 (for both), and one was
not even junk.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 1 May 2013 20:11:28 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I buy and sell machinery, and fix it for a living. Im not retired, nor
am I in any position to retire and will likely die on the job in the
far distant future,

So, such Stuff is part and parcel of what I do, and how I generate
income. Particularly in this economy. And Im feeding 6 adults and 3
grandkids, as well as a ****load of dogs and cats.

One simply doesnt run them all off or kill them. Its not polite.

Gunner

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 May 2013 20:04:36 -0500, Ignoramus9170
wrote:

I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

The container..with the belts in it...will get me at most ...$10 for
the container. Those belts are standard V belts..neopreme....you
know..that black rubber stuff? Like tires...there is no cost benefit
for recycling them.

The dead forklift is easily repairable..if one has money. And without
a forklift..Id be even more screwed than I am now.

What the hell are you thinking?

Gunner

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 May 2013 20:06:01 -0500, Ignoramus9170

On 2013-05-02, Ignoramus9170 wrote:
I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

Oh, and I will be taking two dead GMC TopKick dump trucks to a scrap
yard tomorrow. One has 10,000 miles and another, has 15,000 miles. But
both were salter trucks and are hopelessly rusted. The engine was
working on one of them.

And you havent offered up the engines to a trucking company? Why the
hell not?

Gunner

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-02, Ignoramus9170 wrote:
I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

Oh, and I will be taking two dead GMC TopKick dump trucks to a scrap
yard tomorrow. One has 10,000 miles and another, has 15,000 miles. But
both were salter trucks and are hopelessly rusted. The engine was
working on one of them.

And you havent offered up the engines to a trucking company? Why the
hell not?

I am selling the one good engine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

The container..with the belts in it...will get me at most ...$10 for
the container. Those belts are standard V belts..neopreme....you
know..that black rubber stuff? Like tires...there is no cost benefit
for recycling them.

The dead forklift is easily repairable..if one has money. And without
a forklift..Id be even more screwed than I am now.

If it does not work, you do not have a working forklift. Sell it for
scrap and buy a working one later.

I would easily pay $200 for a not too rusted container.

What the hell are you thinking?

Gunner

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-02, Ignoramus9170 wrote:
I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

Oh, and I will be taking two dead GMC TopKick dump trucks to a scrap
yard tomorrow. One has 10,000 miles and another, has 15,000 miles. But
both were salter trucks and are hopelessly rusted. The engine was
working on one of them.

And you havent offered up the engines to a trucking company? Why the
hell not?

I am selling the one good engine.

You said above you are selling it to the scrapers

Whats up with dat?

Gunner

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

The container..with the belts in it...will get me at most ...$10 for
the container. Those belts are standard V belts..neopreme....you
know..that black rubber stuff? Like tires...there is no cost benefit
for recycling them.

The dead forklift is easily repairable..if one has money. And without
a forklift..Id be even more screwed than I am now.

If it does not work, you do not have a working forklift. Sell it for
scrap and buy a working one later.

It needs $200 in parts. A working one later will cost me a couple
thousand.

I would easily pay $200 for a not too rusted container.

48"x48"x5' tall? Really? How would you like it shipped. Do as you
wish with the belts.

How do you want it trucked?

Gunner

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

The container..with the belts in it...will get me at most ...$10 for
the container. Those belts are standard V belts..neopreme....you
know..that black rubber stuff? Like tires...there is no cost benefit
for recycling them.

The dead forklift is easily repairable..if one has money. And without
a forklift..Id be even more screwed than I am now.

If it does not work, you do not have a working forklift. Sell it for
scrap and buy a working one later.

It needs $200 in parts. A working one later will cost me a couple
thousand.

Gunner, come on, with your scrounging ABILITIES YOU CAN FIND ONE FOR A
LOT LESS.

I would easily pay $200 for a not too rusted container.

48"x48"x5' tall? Really? How would you like it shipped. Do as you
wish with the belts.

How do you want it trucked?

I meant locally. I could just pick one up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-02, Ignoramus9170 wrote:
I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

Oh, and I will be taking two dead GMC TopKick dump trucks to a scrap
yard tomorrow. One has 10,000 miles and another, has 15,000 miles. But
both were salter trucks and are hopelessly rusted. The engine was
working on one of them.

And you havent offered up the engines to a trucking company? Why the
hell not?

I am selling the one good engine.

You said above you are selling it to the scrapers

Whats up with dat?

One of the trucks, is scrapped with engine, and the other, without
engine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

The container..with the belts in it...will get me at most ...$10 for
the container. Those belts are standard V belts..neopreme....you
know..that black rubber stuff? Like tires...there is no cost benefit
for recycling them.

The dead forklift is easily repairable..if one has money. And without
a forklift..Id be even more screwed than I am now.

If it does not work, you do not have a working forklift. Sell it for
scrap and buy a working one later.

It needs $200 in parts. A working one later will cost me a couple
thousand.

Gunner, come on, with your scrounging ABILITIES YOU CAN FIND ONE FOR A
LOT LESS.

A lot less than $200? Good luck

I would easily pay $200 for a not too rusted container.

48"x48"x5' tall? Really? How would you like it shipped. Do as you
wish with the belts.

How do you want it trucked?

I meant locally. I could just pick one up.

So...are you saying then that its that way all over this nation? Even
way out here in the high desert? Fascinating!

Lets see..Kern Co is .the 3rd largest county in California (the third
biggest state) ..and our population is 800,000 total.

Is that like where you are at?

Sure you dont want to pay the shipping? Its only 2066.7 or so miles.

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You're like a combination of Fred Sanford and Walter Mitty. What were you
going to do with those belts? How were they going to generate any income?
You need to take some advice from Comrade Iggy on how to run a business.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

..... and get an intervention about the hoarding. All his talk about
making $75 an hour and he can't afford $200 to fix a forklift. You'd
think that his "world class economist" friend, or one of his "black
tie dinner" chums would chip in.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you scrap your forklift for 500, and add 200, you can buy a working
forklift for that much.

I would easily pay $200 for a not too rusted container.

48"x48"x5' tall? Really? How would you like it shipped. Do as you
wish with the belts.

How do you want it trucked?

I meant locally. I could just pick one up.

So...are you saying then that its that way all over this nation? Even
way out here in the high desert? Fascinating!

Lets see..Kern Co is .the 3rd largest county in California (the third
biggest state) ..and our population is 800,000 total.

Is that like where you are at?

Sure you dont want to pay the shipping? Its only 2066.7 or so miles.

Try to advertise this and call a few scrap yards, you should have it
sold no problem.

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

The container..with the belts in it...will get me at most ...$10 for
the container. Those belts are standard V belts..neopreme....you
know..that black rubber stuff? Like tires...there is no cost benefit
for recycling them.

The dead forklift is easily repairable..if one has money. And without
a forklift..Id be even more screwed than I am now.

If it does not work, you do not have a working forklift. Sell it for
scrap and buy a working one later.

It needs $200 in parts. A working one later will cost me a couple
thousand.

What does it need. Maybe one of this bunch of miscreants has parts
laying around for cheap?

I would easily pay $200 for a not too rusted container.

48"x48"x5' tall? Really? How would you like it shipped. Do as you
wish with the belts.

I just picked up a plastic one for $150. It will be used at the fire
station to keep the trash in after we hold events. (Trash company picks
up for free so the least we can do is keep it all in one place)
Would have liked a steel one but the plastic I can carry. My days of
tossing a steel 4X4 basket over my head to carry it are over.

I have been looking at the prices on shipping containers again, they
went way up in my area.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Iggy understands cash flow, Gunner does not.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I wound up with them...along with an entire back yard of Stuff, when a
friend bought a factory up in Fresno. Google that story on Usenet.
Ive told it enough times.

I paid nothing for that Stuff..and it cost me an arm and a leg to get
rid of most of it. This is about the last remaining bit of Stuff that
was left.

Ive given away at least 20+ long flat belts with "cogs" on each side
to a group of kids from University So. Cal..to be used as treads on
their battle bots. Ive equiped half the wetbacks in town with belts on
their beater pickup trucks when they didnt have any money. Ive given
belts to guys who needed to replace belts on oil pumping units on a
Sunday afternoon.

The reason I still have them..is that I didnt throw them away..because
someone always needed one. They are brand new Gates etc etc..just
12-15 yrs old and have been stored in a covered container out of the
sun. Shrug

Im talking to the owner of the property ..the empty lot..and he has
offered to sell me the lot for between $5k and $8k. So..we shall see
what we shall see.

Gunner

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In Chicago perhaps. And how much to have it shipped?

I would easily pay $200 for a not too rusted container.

48"x48"x5' tall? Really? How would you like it shipped. Do as you
wish with the belts.

How do you want it trucked?

I meant locally. I could just pick one up.

So...are you saying then that its that way all over this nation? Even
way out here in the high desert? Fascinating!

Lets see..Kern Co is .the 3rd largest county in California (the third
biggest state) ..and our population is 800,000 total.

Is that like where you are at?

Sure you dont want to pay the shipping? Its only 2066.7 or so miles.

Try to advertise this and call a few scrap yards, you should have it
sold no problem.

Have what sold? A $2500 forklift...a rough surface 3000 lb lift with
a short mast...for $200?

Your not paying attention are you Iggy?

Gunner

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

The container..with the belts in it...will get me at most ...$10 for
the container. Those belts are standard V belts..neopreme....you
know..that black rubber stuff? Like tires...there is no cost benefit
for recycling them.

The dead forklift is easily repairable..if one has money. And without
a forklift..Id be even more screwed than I am now.
If it does not work, you do not have a working forklift. Sell it for
scrap and buy a working one later.

It needs $200 in parts. A working one later will cost me a couple
thousand.

What does it need. Maybe one of this bunch of miscreants has parts
laying around for cheap?

Its a Baker/Linde BP-30L forklift. The unit has hydrostatic drive.
Which means the VW Jetta engine in it runs a big hydraulic pump, which
in turn operates the hydraulic motor at each front tire.

There are 3 pedals on the floor. Forward-Brake-Reverse.

There is a lever on the dash that controls the engine speed.
There is a computer under the dash (now dead) that keeps the engine
running at whatever speed you set it at..no matter the load or unload.
It pulls in a big..big 12vt "solenoid" that operates the throttle
lever at the carby. The carby itself needs rebuilding. A simple seal
kit is $27. However...they discontinued the simply carby kit..and
redesigned the carby. So the NEW kit includes a new top unit for the
carberator and that kit costs $125. The heat exchanger is also
suspect..but the kit for that is only $25

This forklift is rated Rough Surface..which means it has knobby tires
and is tall enough to run on gravel and over rough, generally flat
ground.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...25006569125490

The computer...I found one in Georgia ...for $125. Ive had the money
($250+/-) 5 times saved up. Each and every time I got ready to order
the parts...something happened where I needed to spend the money on
something important..medical bills, cell phone bill etc etc.

Keep in mind..that last year..I grossed..grossed $27,500 or less.
Subtract the aprox $5k I spent on fuel and insurance for my work
truck.and all the mouths Im feeding..and the dogs and cats..and the $
I spend on cell service..and the highest electric rates in the US

So...Im not doing very well at the moment..and havent since 2008 when
the economy went into the toilet. Then there is the little thing
called "triple bypass surgery" and "stroke hospitalization"....

And of course..I have the van that is 3 yrs past due on
registration..which in California..means almost $1000

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/Van

That needs to come home. But I have a 97 Mazda/Ranger that runs
fine..but doesnt pass smog that Im trying to get $600 out of
it....with plenty of people wanting..but no one paying...it really
needs to go out of state...

And this stuff to sell

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...esForSale21213

And this stuff

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...602/NewForSale

and and and and.......

Shrug

Gunner

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 May 2013 14:16:43 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Im talking to the owner of the property ..the empty lot..and he has
offered to sell me the lot for between $5k and $8k. So..we shall see
what we shall see.

Here's what I see. That you don't have $200 to fix a forklift, but are
yapping about paying several thousands for a lot that you've claimed,
multiple times, to already own!

"the empty lot I own to the left. I also own the lot on the
other side of the alley." "Im going to put up a
30x50 steel building on the empty lot to the left of the house."
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...5fd34b5e5a19a9

"the other two lots that I own..right next to mine..and behind mine."
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...785581c332e034

If only you had a penny each for half of the horse**** stories you've
told.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If you scrap your forklift for 500, and add 200, you can buy a working
forklift for that much.

Try to advertise this and call a few scrap yards, you should have it
sold no problem.

Have what sold? A $2500 forklift...a rough surface 3000 lb lift with
a short mast...for $200?

Your not paying attention are you Iggy?

Yeah, because if he was paying attention, he'd tell you to get by for
now by putting some forks on the bucket of that backhoe you're always
lying about having.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Mabee in the reust belt where industries are closing down at a record
pace, but up here you don't get anything even REPAIRABLE for that
price.. A fork lift attachment to put on the 3 point hitch of a farm
tractor is worth $500 in decent shape. A non-running basically
complete 3000 lb hard-tire old Clark is advertized for $1000 - needs a
hundred dollars in parts plus labour to make it run.
An old 5000 lb clark - 1996 model - worling condition is $3000.
And old Mitsubishi 15000 pounder that "needs work" is $1800.
A leaky 2002 Linde, $2900.
A 5000 lb air-tired Cat on Propane, $4900.
A 5000 lb air tired Yam, $3800
All the rest on Kijiji in Ontario are in the $6000 and up range - a
good yard truck (larger air tires) is a $9000 item in running
condition.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

$3800 and up depending on condition around here - and the $3800 unit
will be ROUGH. A decent one is $6800 or more. That's for a "yard
truck" than can handle more than 2 inches of unevenness in the surface
and move if the ground is damp.

Gunner

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-02, Ignoramus9170 wrote:
I second what ATP said, it can be a blessing in disguise. Sell the
container and its contents to scrappers, you will probably get
$140/ton. Same applies to the dead forklift.

Oh, and I will be taking two dead GMC TopKick dump trucks to a scrap
yard tomorrow. One has 10,000 miles and another, has 15,000 miles. But
both were salter trucks and are hopelessly rusted. The engine was
working on one of them.

I was able to barter a lot of scrap metal for clean up labor and got a
pretty good price for two vehicles. Now I have some space in my yard.

A lot of scrappers, are equipped with machinery and experience to deal
with junk and scrap efficiently, and cleaning up your place is no big
deal to them.

I recently bought two junk forklifts for $100 (for both), and one was
not even junk.

Sux 2BU, Ig. thud

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Horse****, ain't it?

It sucks when you're under pressure but it can be a blessing in disguise. I
got rid of a lot of stuff recently and I don't miss any of it. In fact I
should get back to ridding myself of "material surplus to current needs".

I brought in a couple grand last year offloading my accumulated goods
for projects I never started or never finished. Craigslist and eBay
both work fine. AAMOF, I finally bought the idler bearing (for the DP
you gave me/we restored) over 2 years ago and have never installed it,
even after selling the 8" HF DP 6 months ago. blush

I buy and sell machinery, and fix it for a living. Im not retired, nor
am I in any position to retire and will likely die on the job in the
far distant future,

So, such Stuff is part and parcel of what I do, and how I generate
income. Particularly in this economy.

Ditto, dude.

And Im feeding 6 adults and 3
grandkids, as well as a ****load of dogs and cats.

One simply doesnt run them all off or kill them. Its not polite.

Yabbut, one has to practice their shooting skills...
Or are you thinking "It's all food in a WROL/TEOTWAKI situ..."

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ive given away at least 20+ long flat belts with "cogs" on each side
to a group of kids from University So. Cal..to be used as treads on
their battle bots.

Ooh, got any 3/8" id 1-2" diameter 3/4" thick (or less) timing pulleys
and long (8+') lengths of 0.2 cog belts? Stick 'em in my box! I'll
use 'em on the Green Monster. Like this: http://tinyurl.com/cwclc33

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup. Iggy lives in Chicago...in what was once one of the industrial
capitals of the world. Once. Which is why he is now scrapping trucks
and getting forklifts cheap. Cause its now part of the "rust belt" of
America.

The same reason Im getting lathes and mills cheap here in California.

Guy called me today..wants me to work a day for him in So Cal..and in
return..I get a Clausing Colchester lathe that had a very primitive
CNC device installed on the ways that did 2 motions. And it cut
plastic. So the ways, the carraige and compound have never every been
used..and it was only used for 6 months.

This lathe

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page17.html

Built in 95 and not run in 10 yrs or longer.

With tooling. Collet closer, etc etc.

Now I just have to figure out if I want to sell it...or hang on to it
and use it. If I hang on to it..what do I sell to make room for it?
The 15x52 Clausing 1500? The Hardinge HLV-H?

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 03 May 2013 05:48:42 -0700

Guy called me today..wants me to work a day for him in So Cal..and in
return..I get a Clausing Colchester lathe that had a very primitive
CNC device installed on the ways that did 2 motions. And it cut
plastic. So the ways, the carraige and compound have never every been
used..and it was only used for 6 months.

This lathe

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page17.html

Built in 95 and not run in 10 yrs or longer.

With tooling. Collet closer, etc etc.

Now I just have to figure out if I want to sell it...or hang on to it
and use it. If I hang on to it..what do I sell to make room for it?
The 15x52 Clausing 1500? The Hardinge HLV-H?

There is a part of me that says "My heart bleeds chunky peanut
brittle for you." OTOH, I recognize the reality of the problem -
before anything new comes in, something has to go.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Free!! V-belts

Your requests for those hand tools still being ignored by your close friend
gummer? What a ****in shame that you didn't know he can't be trusted at his
word.

Not before the heart drama, and definitely not now that he has the perfect
excuse to not do anything for anyone else.

Who's a twit? I know you are..

--
WB

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Ooh, got any 3/8" id 1-2" diameter 3/4" thick (or less) timing pulleys
and long (8+') lengths of 0.2 cog belts? Stick 'em in my box! I'll
use 'em on the Green Monster. Like this: http://tinyurl.com/cwclc33

--
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the
results.