Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need a 8" OD hemispherical tank head, 304/316 stainless and .125" thickness

Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...an-574585-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

flometrix fired this
volley in roups.com:

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

http://www.j-ssupply.com/tankheads.htm

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

flometrix fired this
volley in roups.com:

ps... they only list 10" and up, but since they're a 'spinning house'...

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"flometrix" wrote in
message roups.com...
Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

http://bakertankhead.com/products/tank-heads.htm

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 21:18:02 +0000, flometrix
wrote:

Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

A hemispherical tank head that small would be pretty unusual. While
one of the places others have mentioned could spin or press them, you
might find off the shelf hemispheres from a fabricator of hollow float
balls or decorative spheres. For example:
http://www.wagnercompanies.com/spher...mispheres.aspx
http://floats.arthurharris.com/viewi...res?&plpver=10

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

A hemispherical tank head that small would be pretty unusual.

Isn't that size pretty much the size of standard air brake tanks on
trucks?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

A hemispherical tank head that small would be pretty unusual.

Isn't that size pretty much the size of standard air brake tanks on
trucks?

Probably in the right size range, but I think it's unlikely the heads
are hemispherical. I'm taking the OP at his word that what he needs is
hemispherical and not the more common ASME elliptical heads.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:11:09 -0400, "Robert"
wrote:

"flometrix" wrote in
message roups.com...
Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

http://bakertankhead.com/products/tank-heads.htm

All my tank turrets are made of Iridium.

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB Wagner has them in 11 ga (0.120"), hemispheres and spheres, in 1010
steel, 304SS, 3003 aluminum, brass, and bronze. Go to
http://www.wagnercompanies.com/spher...mispheres.aspx. They do say
that these are for ornamental purposes and not recommended for mechanical
applications with tight tolerances. Give them a call and see if they are
good enough for you.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

wrote:

Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

A hemispherical tank head that small would be pretty unusual.

Isn't that size pretty much the size of standard air brake tanks on
trucks?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 20:26:07 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:11:09 -0400, "Robert"
wrote:

"flometrix" wrote in
message roups.com...
Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

http://bakertankhead.com/products/tank-heads.htm

All my tank turrets are made of Iridium.

As are the barrels on the Tri-barrels.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Ned Simmons , flometrix wrote:

Probably in the right size range, but I think it's unlikely the heads
are hemispherical. I'm taking the OP at his word that what he needs is
hemispherical and not the more common ASME elliptical heads.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Yes, heads 8"OD are common and I have
ordered some standard flanged and dished heads that size but we need a
much larger curve for our purposes. Unfortunately, since this seems to be
a special order item companies are not wanting to make such a small
quantity for us. I will keep filling out quote forms though and see what
turns up. I do like that decorative sphere idea, I will see what they can
do.

Kyle

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...an-574585-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"flometrix" wrote
in message
roups.com...
replying to Ned Simmons , flometrix wrote:

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Yes, heads 8"OD are common and I
have
ordered some standard flanged and dished heads that size but we need
much larger curve for our purposes. Kyle

Is this "much larger curve" a standard geometric shape?
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Explosive forming.. think auto-safety airbag, except steel.

Let us know where to go to watch the video.

--
WB

"flometrix" wrote in
message roups.com...
Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...an-574585-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 7:27:11 AM UTC-5, Wild_Bill wrote:
Explosive forming.. think auto-safety airbag, except steel.

Let us know where to go to watch the video.

--

WB

"flometrix" wrote in

message roups.com...

Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"

Thickness: .125" nominal or something close

Material: 304/316 stainless

Type: Hemispherical Tank Head

Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

--

posted from

http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...an-574585-.htm

using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to

rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

I met someone who claimed to have hollowed out a stump....
Laid the metal over the hollow, added a couple pounds of black powder, and then dumped a couple yards of dirt over the top to give it some back pressure.
Touched it off, and formed a nice tank head.

Of course it was quite a one-up-manship fest at Bonneville.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:11:09 -0400, "Robert"
wrote:

"flometrix" wrote in
message roups.com...
Hi, this is for a prototype project, it will not be welded.

O.D: 8"
Thickness: .125" nominal or something close
Material: 304/316 stainless
Type: Hemispherical Tank Head
Quantity: 2

Does anyone know where I could get this?

Thank you

http://bakertankhead.com/products/tank-heads.htm

All my tank turrets are made of Iridium.

As are the barrels on the Tri-barrels.

I hate the smell of burnt polyethylene in the morning...

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Carl Ijames , flometrix wrote:
carl.ijames wrote:

RB Wagner has them in 11 ga (0.120"), hemispheres and spheres, in
1010
steel, 304SS, 3003 aluminum, brass, and bronze. Go to
http://www.wagnercompanies.com/spher...mispheres.aspx. They do
say
that these are for ornamental purposes and not recommended for
mechanical
applications with tight tolerances. Give them a call and see if they
are
good enough for you.

Thanks for the help. The Wagner hemisphere was
exactly what I was looking for.