Junior Member

Default Old Compressor

Hi could you please help with identifying the attached compressor. I found it at a scrap sales and want to buy it to restore but found no make or model on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Compressor-image3-jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:21:46 +0000, Garry Coetzee
wrote:

Hi could you please help with identifying the attached compressor. I
found it at a scrap sales and want to buy it to restore but found no
make or model on it.

|Filename: Image3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6840|

It's a refrigeration compressor - looks like it's the one from the
walkin cooler on Noah's Ark.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You do realize that DIY Banter is not a web site. It is a portal to usenet
group rec crafts metalworking. Find a usenet provider, and post here the
regular way.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

--
Garry Coetzee

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi could you please help with identifying the attached compressor. I
found it at a scrap sales and want to buy it to restore but found no
make or model on it.

|Filename: Image3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6840|

It's a refrigeration compressor - looks like it's the one from the
walkin cooler on Noah's Ark.

If you really want to find out, plug all the open holes for the
refrigerant lines and stick it in a bead-blast cabinet - As the paint
comes off you might just find a stamped part number in the crankcase
or head casting, or a stamped spec plate on the side.

You may be able to use it as an air compressor BUT you need to flush
the oil in the crankcase and replace it with a mineral-oil based lube.

Note that for refrigeration they often have the oil circulating with
the Freon through the whole system - but it's a sealed system so it
works it's ay back.

The incoming refrigerant suction line goes through the crankcase first
- where it drops the oil and any liquid refrigerant before the gaseous
refrigerant goes through the cylinder. And they don't worry too much
about the Oil Control Rings letting some oil slip by and go out with
the refrigerant. It'll be back.

This makes them less than optimal as an air compressor. Any dirt in
the incoming air gets into the crankcase oil on the way through, and
as the rings wear they tend to spit a lot of oil out with the outgoing
compressed air - To the point you have to put an oil trap in the
outgoing line to catch it, and direct it back to the crankcase before
it runs dry.

Go find a purpose-built air compressor head, save the hassle.

This one (if it's the right size, and you can get new seals and a
rebuild kit for it) would be good for rigging a Home AC Off-Grid, to
run from an alternative energy source like a Pelton Water Wheel or a
Bio-Diesel engine running this compressor and a small alternator for
the lights and fan.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-12, Garry Coetzee wrote:

Hi could you please help with identifying the attached compressor. I
found it at a scrap sales and want to buy it to restore but found no
make or model on it.

This is really old, for a flat belt drive. Possibly 100 years old.

|Filename: Image3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6840|

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:46:40 -0500, Ignoramus9077

On 2013-04-12, Garry Coetzee wrote:

Hi could you please help with identifying the attached compressor. I
found it at a scrap sales and want to buy it to restore but found no
make or model on it.

This is really old, for a flat belt drive. Possibly 100 years old.

|Filename: Image3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6840|

I pulled a two-cylinder version very similar to that out of my uncle's
shop after he died. It had a leather flat-belt drive and he had
converted it to fill the enormous bomb...er, air tank...that hung from
the ceiling of his shop.

I scrapped it, but it was hard to do.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-12, Garry Coetzee wrote:

Hi could you please help with identifying the attached compressor. I
found it at a scrap sales and want to buy it to restore but found no
make or model on it.

This is really old, for a flat belt drive. Possibly 100 years old.

|Filename: Image3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6840|

I pulled a two-cylinder version very similar to that out of my uncle's
shop after he died. It had a leather flat-belt drive and he had
converted it to fill the enormous bomb...er, air tank...that hung from
the ceiling of his shop.

I scrapped it, but it was hard to do.

I think you may have been right the first time (bomb) - especially
if it hadn't been drained regularly or Hydrotested or Bore-Scoped in
forever.

"Hanging from the ceiling" and being run by a flat belt and Jackshaft
system makes it likely it hadn't received proper attention in forever.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 2013-04-12, Garry Coetzee wrote:
[...]

-- Bruce --- Hide quoted text -

A lot of the really OLD refrigeration compressors were set up for
thiings like sulfur dioxide, methyl chloride and ammonia. Freon is
relatively new as a refrigerant. The oil may be contaminated with
some undesirable stuff, hazardous waste. Ammonia takes a LOT of
pressure to liquify, so if it was designed for that, delivery pressure
could be significant. Might make a pretty good vac pump, too, with
proper clean out.

Stan

air compressor dilbert firestorm Home Repair 22 January 12th 11 09:46 PM
Air Compressor Sasha Woodworking 13 December 29th 09 12:45 AM
OT - air compressor stone Metalworking 4 October 19th 05 09:03 AM
Compressor needs 15A Jim UK diy 5 April 27th 05 05:32 PM
Should I fix my air compressor? [email protected] Home Repair 10 October 15th 04 02:52 PM