stone

Default OT - air compressor

I have a home brew air compressor which uses
an electric motor. It uses a pressure switch
to stop the motor when the tank reaches full pressure.

I'd like to put a small gas motor on the compressor
because the electric motor usually gets hot and
shuts down.

How are gas motor air compressors controlled?

You cannot start and stop the gas motor, so, is there
some sort of dump valve that opens when the tank
reaches pressure?

I want to use a gas engine, but I don't want to rely
on the overpressure valve for normal ops.

Thanks.

john

stone wrote:

I have a home brew air compressor which uses
an electric motor. It uses a pressure switch
to stop the motor when the tank reaches full pressure.

I'd like to put a small gas motor on the compressor
because the electric motor usually gets hot and
shuts down.

How are gas motor air compressors controlled?

You cannot start and stop the gas motor, so, is there
some sort of dump valve that opens when the tank
reaches pressure?

I want to use a gas engine, but I don't want to rely
on the overpressure valve for normal ops.

Thanks.

You will need a pressure valve that will feed air to a throttle down
valve to throttle down the gas motor. They ususally use an air cyilnder
attached to the throttle. The second thing you will need is an unloader
valve that dumps out the pressure in the cylinders so the gas motor can
idle with no load. A series check valve in the output of the compressor
and a dump valve on the line between the compressor and the check valve
will accomplish this. The dump valve opens when the pressure is at max.
and is operated by the pressure valve. Take a look at a factory built
unit and see how they got it hooked up.

John
Don Young

I believe a smaller motor pulley would be required to reduce the load on the
motor.
Don Young
"Ignoramus6433" wrote in message
On 18 Oct 2005 20:24:07 -0700, stone wrote:
I have a home brew air compressor which uses
an electric motor. It uses a pressure switch
to stop the motor when the tank reaches full pressure.

I'd like to put a small gas motor on the compressor
because the electric motor usually gets hot and
shuts down.

Your easy, 5 minute alternative is to put a bigger pulley on the
motor.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Ignoramus6433" wrote in message
On 18 Oct 2005 20:24:07 -0700, stone wrote:
I have a home brew air compressor which uses
an electric motor. It uses a pressure switch
to stop the motor when the tank reaches full pressure.

I'd like to put a small gas motor on the compressor
because the electric motor usually gets hot and
shuts down.

Your easy, 5 minute alternative is to put a bigger pulley on the
motor.

That would require more HP. A smaller pulley would be in order. A larger
pulley on the compressor would work as well.

Harold

Ken Cutt

stone wrote:
I have a home brew air compressor which uses
an electric motor. It uses a pressure switch
to stop the motor when the tank reaches full pressure.

I'd like to put a small gas motor on the compressor
because the electric motor usually gets hot and
shuts down.

How are gas motor air compressors controlled?

You cannot start and stop the gas motor, so, is there
some sort of dump valve that opens when the tank
reaches pressure?

I want to use a gas engine, but I don't want to rely
on the overpressure valve for normal ops.

Thanks.

You need an unloader valve for the gas set up . You can even get some
that will idle down the motor . Luck
Ken Cutt