Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Old Compressor

On Apr 14, 8:00*pm, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)"
wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:51:38 -0400, Ed Huntress

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:46:40 -0500, Ignoramus9077
On 2013-04-12, Garry Coetzee wrote:
Hi could you please help with identifying the attached compressor. I
found it at a scrap sales and want to buy it to restore but found no
make or model on it.

This is really old, for a flat belt drive. Possibly 100 years old.

|Filename: Image3.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6840|

I pulled a two-cylinder version very similar to that out of my uncle's
shop after he died. It had a leather flat-belt drive and he had
converted it to fill the enormous bomb...er, air tank...that hung from
the ceiling of his shop.

I scrapped it, but it was hard to do.

* I think you may have been right the first time (bomb) - especially
if it hadn't been drained regularly or Hydrotested or Bore-Scoped in
forever.

"Hanging from the ceiling" and being run by a flat belt and Jackshaft
system makes it likely it hadn't received proper attention in forever.

-- Bruce --- Hide quoted text -

A lot of the really OLD refrigeration compressors were set up for
thiings like sulfur dioxide, methyl chloride and ammonia. Freon is
relatively new as a refrigerant. The oil may be contaminated with
some undesirable stuff, hazardous waste. Ammonia takes a LOT of
pressure to liquify, so if it was designed for that, delivery pressure
could be significant. Might make a pretty good vac pump, too, with
proper clean out.

Stan