Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air compressor

I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.

What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up truck & car,
do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck rails. I'm
thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

dilbert firestorm wrote:
I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.

What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up truck & car,
do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck rails. I'm
thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.

Sometimes you can find these as low as $100 with free shipping:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2b75bsf

It's one of the best of the small portable compressors.

-Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in message
I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.

What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up truck & car,
do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck rails. I'm
thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Airbrush will run with any of them, truck tires take a little bit better and
powering a paint gun has the highest demand of all. The first 2 you can do
with a 3 gallon tank and decent horsepower, 120v for sure. Probably less
than a $100.

You need to look at the spray gun you want to use and see what the scfm
requirements are then you have to buy a compressor and tank that can deliver
that. I am fairly sure a 120v option will exist but it is going to cost
more.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in message
I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.

What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up truck & car,
do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck rails. I'm
thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.

Your needs range from a 1 to a 7 on a 10 scale. The air brushing requires
very little. Car and truck tires need up to 70psi, but just for a small
volume. Deck spraying may require a lot of air for a long time.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:35:24 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

dilbert firestorm wrote:
I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.

What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up truck & car,
do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck rails. I'm
thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.

Sometimes you can find these as low as $100 with free shipping:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2b75bsf

It's one of the best of the small portable compressors.

I've had one of those for five years, or so. They work quite well.

Bigger and still under $100 ($89.99 Saturday, according to today's HF-spam):

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-8-...campaign=5210c

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2010 4:45 PM, Steve B wrote:
"dilbert wrote in message
I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.

What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up truck& car,
do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck rails. I'm
thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.

Your needs range from a 1 to a 7 on a 10 scale. The air brushing requires
very little. Car and truck tires need up to 70psi, but just for a small
volume. Deck spraying may require a lot of air for a long time.

Steve

its just the deck rails and post that need to be repainted. that
doesn't take up alot of air does it?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dilbert wrote in message
I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.

What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up truck& car,
do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck rails. I'm
thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.

Your needs range from a 1 to a 7 on a 10 scale. The air brushing requires
very little. Car and truck tires need up to 70psi, but just for a small
volume. Deck spraying may require a lot of air for a long time.

Steve

I guess any cheap spray gun would do as long as it isn't gravity fed.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2010 5:39 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:35:24 -0600, wrote:

dilbert firestorm wrote:
I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.

What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up truck& car,
do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck rails. I'm
thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.

Sometimes you can find these as low as $100 with free shipping:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2b75bsf

It's one of the best of the small portable compressors.

I've had one of those for five years, or so. They work quite well.

Bigger and still under $100 ($89.99 Saturday, according to today's HF-spam):

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-8-...campaign=5210c

nothing that big, small and portable for storage in the truck. just
something that'll be enough to get the job done.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

dilbert firestorm wrote:
I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.

What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up truck& car,
do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck rails. I'm
thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.

Sometimes you can find these as low as $100 with free shipping:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2b75bsf

It's one of the best of the small portable compressors.

I've had one of those for five years, or so. They work quite well.

Bigger and still under $100 ($89.99 Saturday, according to today's HF-spam):

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-8-...campaign=5210c

nothing that big, small and portable for storage in the truck. just
something that'll be enough to get the job done.

Something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-94734.html

Or this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-95499.html

Harbor Freight isn't my favorite brand, not by a long shot, but they're fine
for occasional use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:48:34 -0600, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

dilbert firestorm wrote:
[...]

That little HF pancake compressor is OK for airing up car tires, but
that's about it. (The air brush will be a piece of cake for any
compressor) It will not really operate a blow gun or a sander or an
air chisel, and probably not a sprayer.

The PC compressor has a larger tank and much higher pressure, but
the overall package is not that much bigger, and it's not that much
more expensive.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, get an airless sprayer, and 3 gal pancake compressor, at
Harbor Freight (on sale).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

Your needs range from a 1 to a 7 on a 10 scale. The air
brushing requires
very little. Car and truck tires need up to 70psi, but just
for a small
volume. Deck spraying may require a lot of air for a long
time.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought one of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html
about a year ago. It works for short bursts of air tools,
with fairly long recovery times. It's great for inflating
sports balls or car tires. Not sure about the other things.
I also use it to blow dust out of refrigeration compressors.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in
message
I'd like some feed back on an air compressor.

What I want to do with it is to inflate tires on my pick up
truck & car,
do some air brushing on r/c models and spray paint wood deck
rails. I'm
thinking maybe a 120volt would do it the job.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

This will inflate tires. Don't think it will air brush or
spray paint.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...ssor-4077.html
I used something like this to inflate a 17 inch spare tire,
for a friend of mine who had a flat. And a spare with no
pressure. Took a few minutes, but did the job.

The 3 gal unit I mentioned in the other email, rides in the
van with me full time.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in
message

nothing that big, small and portable for storage in the
truck. just
something that'll be enough to get the job done.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"dilbert firestorm" wrote
its just the deck rails and post that need to be repainted. that doesn't
take up alot of air does it?

Get a 4" roller and it won't take any air and yo won't have overspray.

For your other uses, a pancake compressor will work. The oiless ones are
noisy, but they are inexpensive and fill your needs. Look for some of the
package deals on the Porter Cable with brad nailers included.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dilbert firestorm wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I didn't notice that he wanted a paint sprayer. He's going to need a
lot more than a small compressor, no matter how big the tank.

The PC compressor has a larger tank and much higher pressure, but
the overall package is not that much bigger, and it's not that much
more expensive.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2010 9:14 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I bought one of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html
about a year ago. It works for short bursts of air tools,
with fairly long recovery times. It's great for inflating
sports balls or car tires. Not sure about the other things.
I also use it to blow dust out of refrigeration compressors.

Same compressor as Sears 'EVO' series 80-dollar model. HF version
doesn't have the hose kit, but they sell those separate at a good
prices. Good for car tires, a tad small for production work. All in all,
I'm happy with mine.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2010 8:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
So, get an airless sprayer, and 3 gal pancake compressor, at
Harbor Freight (on sale).

airless sprayer?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.google.com/search?q=airle...05516b4d416d47

http://www.google.com/products/catal...0CHQQ8wIwAjgK#

http://tinyurl.com/2fnbx4o

http://www.amazon.com/Airless-Electr.../dp/B003E7N0GW

The one from Amazon is out of stock. But, your local
department store should have something like this. No
compressor needed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in
message
On 12/30/2010 8:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
So, get an airless sprayer, and 3 gal pancake compressor,
at
Harbor Freight (on sale).

airless sprayer?

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2010 7:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?q=airle...05516b4d416d47

http://www.google.com/products/catal...0CHQQ8wIwAjgK#

http://tinyurl.com/2fnbx4o

http://www.amazon.com/Airless-Electr.../dp/B003E7N0GW

The one from Amazon is out of stock. But, your local
department store should have something like this. No
compressor needed.

lowes & home depot carries the wagner paint spray gun.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 08:07:04 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2fnbx4o

http://www.amazon.com/Airless-Electr.../dp/B003E7N0GW

The one from Amazon is out of stock. But, your local
department store should have something like this. No
compressor needed.

--
Christopher A. Young

"dilbert firestorm" wrote in
message
t...
On 12/30/2010 8:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
So, get an airless sprayer, and 3 gal pancake compressor,
at
Harbor Freight (on sale).

airless sprayer?

I would avoid this "atomizer" sprayer. I bought one to spray some
interior doors. Even when I strained the paint, the thing did not
work as expected. After using half the paint in the sprayer cup I
cleaned it up and returned it.

The OP wants to spray his deck, so I imagine he would get more paint
in the air than on the deck....

The one star review on the above site implies a similar experience:

"Well, you get what you pay for - this sprayer is a piece of crap.
Starting off with a brand new out of the box sprayer, and a fresh new
gallon of thin water based stain - the spray mist is so weak and fine,
that even the slightest wind will blow the stain everywhere except
where it's intended. After about 2 minutes of use, the line clogged
up, and no matter what I tried,... "

YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 12:16:27 -0600, dilbert firestorm
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2fnbx4o

http://www.amazon.com/Airless-Electr.../dp/B003E7N0GW

The one from Amazon is out of stock. But, your local
department store should have something like this. No
compressor needed.

lowes & home depot carries the wagner paint spray gun.

I would advise you not buy one of the "atomizer" sprayers.

As Ed said above: a 4" roller and then add a nice sash paint brush on
the purchase price.

I've swore off Wagner "tools". Let myself buy another, then that
sumbeach broke.

Let us know if you buy the Wagner "bumble bee" , use it and the final
results you get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Saving money at HF is a good idea. If you wait long enough,
you can usually get a good price. I remembmer the sheet
metal shears I got, can't remember the numbers but the price
was good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in
:

I bought one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html
about a year ago. It works for short bursts of air tools,
with fairly long recovery times. It's great for inflating
sports balls or car tires. Not sure about the other
things.
I also use it to blow dust out of refrigeration
compressors.

An older post but FYI, that same compressor now has a $25
off coupon.
Worked today.

coupon code: 42547281 (-$25.00)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air compressor for tires

Good thought, to put the air chuck on when the tank is
higher than the tire pressure. The regulator and two gages,
not all that useful. Well, I did set it to 5 PSI one time,
when inflating basketballs. I'd never regulate to 35 PSI for
tires. Just give er a couple seconds. Then use a tire gage
to check the tire.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Vic Smith" wrote in
message ...

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html

coupon code: 42547281 (-$25.00)

I don't find it "good" for tires, just better than going to
the gas
station and popping in quarters.
Has to recharge twice to get a 15" car tire from 15 psi to
35.
To avoid wait time for tires don't wait until it shuts down
at 100
psi. It gets to 90 pretty fast then takes forever to reach
100.
Real handy for a brad gun and blowing out dust though.

--Vic

air compressor invader22 Home Repair 2 September 27th 08 02:27 PM
Air compressor stryped Metalworking 21 May 15th 08 07:21 PM
Where to buy Compressor Oil, 30W ND John JJ Home Repair 21 July 24th 07 12:31 PM
compressor help... Brian Woodworking 12 January 30th 06 09:20 PM
Air compressor/outside air [email protected] Woodworking 3 August 10th 05 06:11 PM