Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air compressor

-------------------------------------

HI I have a craftsman 5hp 25 gallon compressor that will not keep running
for more than 30 sec and takes hours to fill any thoughts??

Posted to alt.home.repair

"invader22" wrote in message

-------------------------------------

HI I have a craftsman 5hp 25 gallon compressor that will not keep running
for more than 30 sec and takes hours to fill any thoughts??

Your compressor fills thoughts? That would take some time

It may be cutting out on overload protection. Low on oil, bad motor
bearings bad high pressure limit switch can all do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Compressors have back check valves that allow the compressing
pistons to push air to the tank, but prevent tank air from pushing
back on the pistons. I suspect you have a bad check valve. They
are usually on the tank where the line enters from the top of the
compressor head.

One simple check: remove the line from the compressor head, turn
on the system, plug the outlet of the head with your thumb. If
the compressor makes enough pressure to push your thumb off with
no strange noises it would indicate the rest of the system to be
alright and a check valve problem. Replace it rather than try to
clean or service it. Usual cost about 10 to 20 dollars. If you
are not making good air, the reeds may need to be replaced.
Another fairly simple project with low cost.

I assume this is/was a well functioning unit. We acquired one
that was really stumping us. Turns out someone had changed leads
in the motor that were not correct for either 110 or 220 wiring.
It would run, but couldn't get over 25 pounds. Corrected the
wiring and it was fine. It was amazing that the motor had not
been destroyed and that anyone would mess inside the motor without
knowing what they were doing.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"invader22" wrote in message

-------------------------------------

HI I have a craftsman 5hp 25 gallon compressor that will not
keep running
for more than 30 sec and takes hours to fill any thoughts??

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Which compressor? Todd Rich Metalworking 31 October 7th 07 04:59 AM
What oil do I put in a compressor? [email protected] Metalworking 15 February 7th 06 12:07 AM
compressor help... Brian Woodworking 12 January 30th 06 09:20 PM
Air compressor help!! [email protected] Woodworking 8 December 3rd 05 07:40 PM
Air Compressor Bernd Metalworking 3 April 7th 05 09:35 PM