Junior Member

Location: New Jersey
Default Mounting a Drill Chuck on a motor......

I need to turn an AC 1/4 HP bench motor with 1/2" shaft into a stationary drill.
I'm asking because I am not familiar with motor shafts and unsure about drill chucks.
I assume I mount the 3/8" or 1/2" drill chuck on shaft with an adapter.
Now do I need a left hand or right hand thread on the adapter?
Also if motor shaft is 1/2" diameter and adapter is held on to shaft with set screws, and the other end of adapter is a threaded end, how should I purchase the drill chuck? what size and thread orientation? Do all shafts come with a flat area on them?

Also how would I vary the speed of the motor?

Thanks for your help in this.
Ermel
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

On Sunday, April 7, 2013 9:39:26 PM UTC-4, Ermel wrote:
I need to turn an AC 1/4 HP bench motor with 1/2" shaft into a

stationary drill.

I'm asking because I am not familiar with motor shafts and unsure about

drill chucks.

I assume I mount the 3/8" or 1/2" drill chuck on shaft with an adapter.

Now do I need a left hand or right hand thread on the adapter?

Also if motor shaft is 1/2" diameter and adapter is held on to shaft

with set screws, and the other end of adapter is a threaded end, how

should I purchase the drill chuck? what size and thread orientation? Do

all shafts come with a flat area on them?

Also how would I vary the speed of the motor?

Thanks for your help in this.

Ermel

Here ya go...

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffin...-2-throat.html

G'luck

--

PaulS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-08, Ermel wrote:

I need to turn an AC 1/4 HP bench motor with 1/2" shaft into a
stationary drill.

Hmm ... rather small motor for the task -- especially since it
is an AC motor.

I'm asking because I am not familiar with motor shafts and unsure about
drill chucks.
I assume I mount the 3/8" or 1/2" drill chuck on shaft with an adapter.

Or -- machine threads of the right size directly on the shaft,
using a lathe and turning between centers. (I don't think that a
hand-held die and die stock could be started straight enough to avoid
problems there.)

Or -- machine a Jacobs taper on the end of the shaft and mount
the drill chuck with that. Probably better centering, and less flex
compared to the other ways. And -- it has the additional benefit that
it works equally well in both directions. Generally better chucks come
with Jacobs taper mounting instead of threaded mounting.

How small will the smallest drill bit used be? How large will
the largest be? Imperfect centering can result in a lot of broken small
bits. And large bits -- especially drilling in steel -- need a lot of
torque.

Now do I need a left hand or right hand thread on the adapter?

Do you expect to drive left-hand drill bit? They are uncommon,
and more expensive, and seldom needed for most tasks. So you would want
a right-hand thread.

Also if motor shaft is 1/2" diameter and adapter is held on to shaft
with set screws, and the other end of adapter is a threaded end, how
should I purchase the drill chuck? what size and thread orientation? Do
all shafts come with a flat area on them?

No -- some come with a keyway instead.

Someone else has already posted a pointer to a kit for the
purpose.

Also how would I vary the speed of the motor?

Proably -- with great difficulty -- assuming that it is a single
phase motor. Single phase motors are optimized for a single speed and a
single power line frequency. Any attempts to vary the speed will mostly
result in very low starting torque.

A three phase motor can be varied using a VFD (Variable
Frequency Drive), but a 1/4 HP motor would be unlikely to have sufficient
torque at low speeds. (And three-phase motors as small as 1/4 HP are
hard to find.)

This is the sort of thing that a DC or a Universal motor (such
as found in hand-held electric drills) is particularly good at.

Do you really want to run this mounted to the bench? If so --
consider mounting the motor *under* the bench, and the shaft with the
chuck above it in pillow blocks -- and use a pair of step pulleys
between the two with the belt passing through the bench. This would
give you a few speeds -- not as nice as continuously variable, but
kinder to the motor.

Thanks for your help in this.

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-08, Ermel wrote:

I need to turn an AC 1/4 HP bench motor with 1/2" shaft into a
stationary drill.

Hmm ... rather small motor for the task -- especially since it
is an AC motor.

I'm asking because I am not familiar with motor shafts and unsure about
drill chucks.
I assume I mount the 3/8" or 1/2" drill chuck on shaft with an adapter.

Or -- machine threads of the right size directly on the shaft,
using a lathe and turning between centers. (I don't think that a
hand-held die and die stock could be started straight enough to avoid
problems there.)

They sell adapters for this, and chucks that thread on them.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 01:39:26 +0000, Ermel
wrote:

I need to turn an AC 1/4 HP bench motor with 1/2" shaft into a
stationary drill.
I'm asking because I am not familiar with motor shafts and unsure about
drill chucks.
I assume I mount the 3/8" or 1/2" drill chuck on shaft with an adapter.
Now do I need a left hand or right hand thread on the adapter?
Also if motor shaft is 1/2" diameter and adapter is held on to shaft
with set screws, and the other end of adapter is a threaded end, how
should I purchase the drill chuck? what size and thread orientation? Do
all shafts come with a flat area on them?

Also how would I vary the speed of the motor?

Thanks for your help in this.
Ermel

It sounds as though you are simply attaching a chuck to a motor shaft.
If that is the case you might consider whether the motor is equipped
with thrust bearings that will withstand end force on the shaft.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 7, 7:39*pm, Ermel wrote:
I need to turn an AC 1/4 HP bench motor with 1/2" shaft into a
stationary drill.
I'm asking because I am not familiar with motor shafts and unsure about
drill chucks.
I assume I mount the 3/8" or 1/2" drill chuck on shaft with an adapter.
Now do I need a left hand or right hand thread on the adapter?
Also if motor shaft is 1/2" diameter and adapter is held on to shaft
with set screws, and the other end of adapter is a threaded end, how
should I purchase the drill chuck? what size and thread orientation? Do
all shafts come with a flat area on them?

Also how would I vary the speed of the motor?

Thanks for your help in this.
Ermel

--
Ermel

The ones I've seen, years back, were at Sears. The chuck itself was a
cheapy that threaded onto the shaft adapter. Would be a short
afternoon's work to make on a lathe, there are a bazillion different
drill chucks that thread onto drill motor shafts(local hardware),
wouldn't need a special Jacobs taper adapter. These chucks all have
left-hand threads, they're intended to have a screw retaining them on
the bottom inside of the chuck. That's usually left-handed, too.

Single-phase AC motor, forget speed control. If you're willing to set
up a jackshaft and belts, you'll have speed control. If you're going
that far, go get an el-cheapo multi-speed HF bench drill press, lose
the base and table and mod the rest into whatever powered drilling
gadget you like. Cheapest one was like $50(on sale and couponed),
you'll spend more than that in time and money looking to turn your
motor into something it isn't. The other poster had a point on
bearings, most regular GP motors aren't set up for axial loads like
drilling. If you're lucky, it'll have double-race ball bearings, if
not, sleeves. Also, 1/4 horse isn't a whole lot when it comes to
drilling.

Stan
Junior Member

Location: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
On Sunday, April 7, 2013 9:39:26 PM UTC-4, Ermel wrote:
I need to turn an AC 1/4 HP bench motor with 1/2" shaft into a

stationary drill.

I'm asking because I am not familiar with motor shafts and unsure about

drill chucks.

I assume I mount the 3/8" or 1/2" drill chuck on shaft with an adapter.

Now do I need a left hand or right hand thread on the adapter?

Also if motor shaft is 1/2" diameter and adapter is held on to shaft

with set screws, and the other end of adapter is a threaded end, how

should I purchase the drill chuck? what size and thread orientation? Do

all shafts come with a flat area on them?

Also how would I vary the speed of the motor?

Thanks for your help in this.

Ermel

Here ya go...

Chuck Adapter 1/2" Throat - Buffing Adapters - Buffing/Polishing - Caswell Inc

G'luck

--

PaulS
Thanks, Paul that may work indeed.
Junior Member

Location: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoN. Nichols[_2_] View Post
On 2013-04-08, Ermel wrote:

> [...]

phase motor. Single phase motors are optimized for a single speed and a
single power line frequency. Any attempts to vary the speed will mostly
result in very low starting torque.

A three phase motor can be varied using a VFD (Variable
Frequency Drive), but a 1/4 HP motor would be unlikely to have sufficient
torque at low speeds. (And three-phase motors as small as 1/4 HP are
hard to find.)

This is the sort of thing that a DC or a Universal motor (such
as found in hand-held electric drills) is particularly good at.

Do you really want to run this mounted to the bench? If so --
consider mounting the motor *under* the bench, and the shaft with the
chuck above it in pillow blocks -- and use a pair of step pulleys
between the two with the belt passing through the bench. This would
give you a few speeds -- not as nice as continuously variable, but

(too) near Washington D.C. |
DoN Nichols' Home page
Thanks, DoN
My main purpose for this setup is to spin saxophone rods to straighten them, typically they are thin about 1/16". I do not own a lathe. Do you think it will work?
Maybe I need a 3/8" drill chuck, since I only need it to spin thin saxophone rods!
It would have to fit the 1/2" motor shaft!

Last edited by Ermel : April 12th 13 at 12:35 AM
Junior Member

Location: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermel View Post