Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J.B.Slocomb J.B.Slocomb is offline

Default Mounting a Drill Chuck on a motor......

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 01:39:26 +0000, Ermel
wrote:

I need to turn an AC 1/4 HP bench motor with 1/2" shaft into a
stationary drill.
I'm asking because I am not familiar with motor shafts and unsure about
drill chucks.
I assume I mount the 3/8" or 1/2" drill chuck on shaft with an adapter.
Now do I need a left hand or right hand thread on the adapter?
Also if motor shaft is 1/2" diameter and adapter is held on to shaft
with set screws, and the other end of adapter is a threaded end, how
should I purchase the drill chuck? what size and thread orientation? Do
all shafts come with a flat area on them?

Also how would I vary the speed of the motor?

Thanks for your help in this.
Ermel

It sounds as though you are simply attaching a chuck to a motor shaft.
If that is the case you might consider whether the motor is equipped
with thrust bearings that will withstand end force on the shaft.
--
Cheers,

John B.