Ermel Ermel is offline
Junior Member

Location: New Jersey
Default Mounting a Drill Chuck on a motor......

I need to turn an AC 1/4 HP bench motor with 1/2" shaft into a stationary drill.
I'm asking because I am not familiar with motor shafts and unsure about drill chucks.
I assume I mount the 3/8" or 1/2" drill chuck on shaft with an adapter.
Now do I need a left hand or right hand thread on the adapter?
Also if motor shaft is 1/2" diameter and adapter is held on to shaft with set screws, and the other end of adapter is a threaded end, how should I purchase the drill chuck? what size and thread orientation? Do all shafts come with a flat area on them?

Also how would I vary the speed of the motor?

Thanks for your help in this.
Ermel