Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Mounting a Drill Chuck on a motor......

On Apr 7, 7:39*pm, Ermel wrote:
I need to turn an AC 1/4 HP bench motor with 1/2" shaft into a
stationary drill.
I'm asking because I am not familiar with motor shafts and unsure about
drill chucks.
I assume I mount the 3/8" or 1/2" drill chuck on shaft with an adapter.
Now do I need a left hand or right hand thread on the adapter?
Also if motor shaft is 1/2" diameter and adapter is held on to shaft
with set screws, and the other end of adapter is a threaded end, how
should I purchase the drill chuck? what size and thread orientation? Do
all shafts come with a flat area on them?

Also how would I vary the speed of the motor?

Thanks for your help in this.
Ermel

--
Ermel

The ones I've seen, years back, were at Sears. The chuck itself was a
cheapy that threaded onto the shaft adapter. Would be a short
afternoon's work to make on a lathe, there are a bazillion different
drill chucks that thread onto drill motor shafts(local hardware),
wouldn't need a special Jacobs taper adapter. These chucks all have
left-hand threads, they're intended to have a screw retaining them on
the bottom inside of the chuck. That's usually left-handed, too.

Single-phase AC motor, forget speed control. If you're willing to set
up a jackshaft and belts, you'll have speed control. If you're going
that far, go get an el-cheapo multi-speed HF bench drill press, lose
the base and table and mod the rest into whatever powered drilling
gadget you like. Cheapest one was like $50(on sale and couponed),
you'll spend more than that in time and money looking to turn your
motor into something it isn't. The other poster had a point on
bearings, most regular GP motors aren't set up for axial loads like
drilling. If you're lucky, it'll have double-race ball bearings, if
not, sleeves. Also, 1/4 horse isn't a whole lot when it comes to
drilling.

Stan