Al A.

Default Chuck mounting question

Hi All,
I am nearing completion of the restoration on my recently aquired 10"
Sheldon lathe. As such, i am looking around at my tooling and
accessories to see what i can transfer over to use on the Sheldon. The
lathe came with what looks to be a decent 3 jaw chuck. I also put my
hans on (from a different source) a nice old SB 4 jaw. The backplate
on the 4 jaw appears to have the same thread as the Sheldon spindle,
except that the portion of the backplate that threads onto the spindle
is not as deep. As a result, the spindle threads will hit the back of
the chuck before the boss on the back of the backplate seats onto the
spindle face. There is a photo that shows the chuck on the spindle as
far as it will go, he

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/PB060003.jpg

This shows the 2 different backplates, the 4 jaw is on the left:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v479/a...t=PB060008.jpg

Note the difference in the depth of both the threaded and the
unthreaded portion of the backplates.

My question is this: is there any reason that I could not just add a
"ring" of sufficent thickness to the 4 jaw plate (screwed or pinned in
place) that it would add enough depth to the boss to allow it to seat
properly? Or would I simply be better off getting or making a new
backplate? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts,
AL A.
Richard W.

"Al A." wrote in message
Hi All,

My question is this: is there any reason that I could not just add a
"ring" of sufficent thickness to the 4 jaw plate (screwed or pinned in
place) that it would add enough depth to the boss to allow it to seat
properly? Or would I simply be better off getting or making a new
backplate? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts,
AL A.

I would make a new back plate. Although I can't tell from the picture, but
it looks like the 4 jaw chuck is one piece. The 3 jaw does have a back plate
on it which I can see from the pictures.

Al A.

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 17:27:47 -0800, "Richard W."
wrote:

I would make a new back plate. Although I can't tell from the picture, but
it looks like the 4 jaw chuck is one piece. The 3 jaw does have a back plate
on it which I can see from the pictures.

Thanks for the reply, Richard. It is not clear in the picture, but
the threaded portion of the 4 jaw is actually a seperate piece. Not a
backplate, per se, but it can be removed and either a replacement
made, or a more typical backplate used in place if it.

-Al A.
Bugs

My wood lathe chuck came with a spacer ring to seat the chuck on the
spindle face. Works fine. Feel free to turn one for yourself.!
Bugs

Chuck remount question Rob McConachie Woodturning 17 June 13th 05 04:48 PM
Overhead TS blade guard mounting question Andrew Barss Woodworking 34 September 24th 04 03:49 PM
Chuck question Roger Hull Metalworking 6 January 16th 04 03:31 AM
Camloc D1-3 chuck question Alan Raisanen Metalworking 1 January 1st 04 04:16 AM
Backplate stuck on 8" 3 Jaw chuck??? Steve Metalworking 2 October 9th 03 08:23 AM