Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1,1,1 trichloroethane tapping fluid

I found a small bottle of 1,1,1 TCE at the dump today ("Typewriter*
Cleaning Fluid"). I've heard that a previous version of Tap Magic used
it and that the TCE made it far superior to the current stuff. Not used
anymore 'cause of the EPA.

Anyhow, I thought that I'd mix up my own tapping fluid with it, but
can't find a formula. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

* - "typewriter"? What's a typewriter? G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 30, 3:02*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I found a small bottle of 1,1,1 TCE at the dump today ("Typewriter*
Cleaning Fluid"). *I've heard that a previous version of Tap Magic used
it and that the TCE made it far superior to the current stuff. *Not used
anymore 'cause of the EPA.

Anyhow, I thought that I'd mix up my own tapping fluid with it, but
can't find a formula. *Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

* - "typewriter"? *What's a typewriter? *G

What material are you tapping?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I found a small bottle of 1,1,1 TCE at the dump today ("Typewriter*
Cleaning Fluid"). I've heard that a previous version of Tap Magic used
it and that the TCE made it far superior to the current stuff. Not used
anymore 'cause of the EPA.

Anyhow, I thought that I'd mix up my own tapping fluid with it, but
can't find a formula. Suggestions?

It isn't critical. Mix with some oil, about 10% or 20% oil in the TCE,
using whatever oil would work with the metal in question.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-30, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I found a small bottle of 1,1,1 TCE at the dump today ("Typewriter*
Cleaning Fluid"). I've heard that a previous version of Tap Magic used
it and that the TCE made it far superior to the current stuff. Not used
anymore 'cause of the EPA.

Anyhow, I thought that I'd mix up my own tapping fluid with it, but
can't find a formula. Suggestions?

It isn't critical. Mix with some oil, about 10% or 20% oil in the TCE,
using whatever oil would work with the metal in question.

Although not as toxic as many similar compounds, inhaled or ingested
1,1,1-trichloroethane does act as a central nervous system depressant
and can cause effects similar to those of intoxication, including
dizziness, confusion, and in sufficiently high concentrations,
unconsciousness and death.[4] Fatal poisonings and illnesses linked to
intentional inhalation of trichloroethane have been
reported.[5][6][7][8] The removal of the chemical from correction
fluid commenced due to Proposition 65 declaring it hazardous and
toxic[9][10]

Prolonged skin contact with the liquid can result in the removal of
fats from the skin, resulting in chronic skin irritation. Studies on
laboratory animals have shown that 1,1,1-trichloroethane is not
retained in the body for long periods of time. However, chronic
exposure has been linked to abnormalities in the liver, kidneys, and
heart. Pregnant women should avoid exposure, as the compound has been
linked to birth defects in laboratory animals (see teratogenesis).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:34:22 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I found a small bottle of 1,1,1 TCE at the dump today ("Typewriter*
Cleaning Fluid"). I've heard that a previous version of Tap Magic used
it and that the TCE made it far superior to the current stuff. Not used
anymore 'cause of the EPA.

Anyhow, I thought that I'd mix up my own tapping fluid with it, but
can't find a formula. Suggestions?

It isn't critical. Mix with some oil, about 10% or 20% oil in the TCE,
using whatever oil would work with the metal in question.

Joe Gwinn

Don't use the trichlor on aluminum. You will get a nasty chemical
reaction.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:02:50 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I found a small bottle of 1,1,1 TCE at the dump today ("Typewriter*
Cleaning Fluid"). I've heard that a previous version of Tap Magic used
it and that the TCE made it far superior to the current stuff. Not used
anymore 'cause of the EPA.

Anyhow, I thought that I'd mix up my own tapping fluid with it, but
can't find a formula. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

* - "typewriter"? What's a typewriter? G

Hey Bob.

Worth thinking about why they "changed" the formula. I know that I
used to get a real sore throat if the "original" Tap Magic was used
for drilling or turning and it got hot enough to emit smoke. Not good
to breath. OK for tapping though.

I don't recall the "Tap Magic for Aluminum" giving me any throat
tickle either, but then I'm old and something is causing these memory
lapses !!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2013-03-30, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

[...]

Well, that's not the full story. Lots of things will intoxicate, and
yet are still on the market.

The problem was cumulative dose. This is why carbon tetrachloride was
also taken off the market. The problem was that rats got liver cancer
when they breathed the stuff for a year; not all solvents, even
chlorinated ones, have that property.

But very slowly - it take a *lot* of exposure to matter.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 30, 4:54*pm, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2013-03-30, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

[...]

It was nasty **** to breath in. I hated the smell but it cleaned
better than anything I've ever used.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-30, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2013-03-30, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

[...]

I feel that since regular cutting fluids work just as well, why bother
with that stuff?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-30, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2013-03-30, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

[...]

Actually, the stuff worked amazingly well--especially on chrome and nickel
alloys...

--you've never compared...probably in diapers, I'd imagine

Then again, both of my sons were born with webbed feet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 20:56:19 -0500, Ignoramus10320
wrote:

The problem was cumulative dose. This is why carbon tetrachloride was
also taken off the market. The problem was that rats got liver cancer
when they breathed the stuff for a year; not all solvents, even
chlorinated ones, have that property.

But very slowly - it take a *lot* of exposure to matter.

Joe Gwinn

I feel that since regular cutting fluids work just as well, why bother
with that stuff?

The problem is...they dont work "just as well". Some work "ok"..but
until you have used the Good Stuff...you havent a clue how well the
old stuff actually did work.

Gunner

What Gunner said. The addition of 1,1,1 Trichloroethane to cutting fluids
used for ferrous alloys had a tendency to improve surface finish like
nothing else. It was used in tapping fluids because of the lowered cutting
pressure required. A drop on a tap worked wonders. I still have a small
amount of the stuff and use it routinely when tapping steel or stainless.
Damned good stuff, Maynard, assuming you can overlook the health issues.
It was effective that it was added by the 5 gallon bucket to the turret
lathes where I was trained.

Damned good as a degreaser, too.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The aluminum Tap Magic is a totally different animal, Brian. I still have
an old can, purchased before 1983.

I swear by both of those products. I'm not convinced there's ever been
anything better for tapping.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Before there were two flavors of Tap Magic, there was only one. This was
in the late 50's. It worked really well on both ferrous & non-ferrous
stuff, and it smelled like cinnamon. We used to pick up partially used
cans at the Los Alamos surplus yard (35 cents a pound for anything the
lab didn't want anymore...). I thought it worked even better than the
newer stuff, so it must of had something REALLy nasty in it.

Frequently the cans only had a teaspoon or two left in them, so they
didn't last very long. One day we got a can of the new stuff & didn't
read the fine print before trying it on aluminum. It smoked, turned
purple, and made a mess out of the work and possibly the tap as well.

My very first tapping experiences were with the older stuff, and I still
occasionally think about that when I smell cinnamon. My best friend's
dad taught me the rudaments of machining in their basement, and we had a
lot of good times together.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What material are you tapping?

Steel - I know about not using it for aluminum. Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/30/2013 6:34 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:

It isn't critical. Mix with some oil, about 10% or 20% oil in the TCE,
using whatever oil would work with the metal in question.

Joe Gwinn

Thanks Joe.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/30/2013 6:40 PM, Ignoramus10320 wrote:

Although not as toxic as many similar compounds,[blah, blah, blah] ... G.

Yeah, I saw that. In the amounts I'd be using, at the frequency of my
use, it would have to be as dangerous as plutonium (+-) before I'd worry
about it.

Thanks anyhow,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/30/2013 8:03 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

It was nasty **** to breath in. I hated the smell but it cleaned
better than anything I've ever used.

I kinda' like the smell - it reminds me of my youth, when exposure to
those kinds of things was common and not worrisome.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/31/2013 5:05 AM, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

What Gunner said. The addition of 1,1,1 Trichloroethane to cutting
fluids used for ferrous alloys had a tendency to improve surface finish
like nothing else. It was used in tapping fluids because of the lowered
cutting pressure required. A drop on a tap worked wonders. ...

I had heard that & it was why I grabbed the "Typewriter Cleaning Fluid".
I'm looking forward to trying it.

Damned good as a degreaser, too.

Yeah, if only I had more than a few ounces of it. As tapping fluid, a
few drops at a time, I'm set. Not so much for cleaning.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/30/2013 7:05 PM, wrote:
Don't use the trichlor on aluminum. You will get a nasty chemical
reaction.

Yeah, I've heard about the purple smoke. _That_ would be really
alarming. "Holy ****! WTF is this?"

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/31/2013 8:29 AM, Doug White wrote:
... the Los Alamos surplus yard (35 cents a pound for anything the
lab didn't want anymore...)....

Damn - wouldn't I like to live near a place like that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 31, 7:54*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 3/30/2013 8:03 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

It was nasty **** to breath in. I hated the smell but it cleaned
better than anything I've ever used.

I kinda' like the smell - it reminds me of my youth, when exposure to
those kinds of things was common and not worrisome.

Bob

Breath it day in and day out I like I use to on hot summer days and
you might not like it so much.

One of the best things about it is that it leave no film when it
dries.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

On 3/31/2013 8:29 AM, Doug White wrote:
... the Los Alamos surplus yard (35 cents a pound for anything the
lab didn't want anymore...)....

Damn - wouldn't I like to live near a place like that.

Unfortunately, they shut it down years ago & now truck all of their junk to
consolidate it with other government surplus.

It was, in every sense of the word, a goldmine. When I was a kid, it was
just too good to pass up being a techno-geek/nerd. The supply of cheap
toys was endless.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

What Gunner said. The addition of 1,1,1 Trichloroethane to cutting fluids
used for ferrous alloys had a tendency to improve surface finish like
nothing else. It was used in tapping fluids because of the lowered cutting
pressure required. A drop on a tap worked wonders. I still have a small
amount of the stuff and use it routinely when tapping steel or stainless.
Damned good stuff, Maynard, assuming you can overlook the health issues.

It wasn't banned because of health issues. If anything, it was banned
for being too safe: so unreactive that it persisted until it got up
into the high atmosphere and released chlorine that damaged the ozone
layer.

(Am I the only one who picked up more than I'll ever need of the
stuff, in anticipation of the ban?)

--
Norman Yarvin http://yarchive.net/blog

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:08:35 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I picked up a 16-oz can of Tap-Magic Original with TCE many years ago
at one of Scott Logan's open houses but never used it. Is that stuff
much better than currently available cutting fluids?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

It's hard to beat.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If it contains 1,1,1 Trichloroethane, yes, it is. Nothing, to my
knowledge, comes close to performing as well as it does. A single drop on
a tap is all it takes.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, it will, won't it? I had a boss in a machine shop when i was an apprentice who loved to teach me the hard way. He had me drill out a bunch of holes in a block of aluminum to be tapped. He put a can of the old tap magic with the tricloroethane 1,1,1 near me and told me to go ahead and tap the holes. I grabbed the can and began to tap. Immediately upon dripping the fluid on my tap it began to smoke and sizzle. He came up and said with a grin, "You'll never make that mistake again, will you??" on the other side of the can I used, there was a can of alumtap, designed to be used on aluminum. Good lesson I learned that day... always read the precautions on the container. "NOT FOR USE ON ALUMINUM". Jeez, it took a long time to live that down.