Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] michaelhenry@msn.com is offline

Default 1,1,1 trichloroethane tapping fluid

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:08:35 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:02:50 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I found a small bottle of 1,1,1 TCE at the dump today ("Typewriter*
Cleaning Fluid"). I've heard that a previous version of Tap Magic used
it and that the TCE made it far superior to the current stuff. Not used
anymore 'cause of the EPA.

Anyhow, I thought that I'd mix up my own tapping fluid with it, but
can't find a formula. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

* - "typewriter"? What's a typewriter? G

Hey Bob.

Worth thinking about why they "changed" the formula. I know that I
used to get a real sore throat if the "original" Tap Magic was used
for drilling or turning and it got hot enough to emit smoke. Not good
to breath. OK for tapping though.

I don't recall the "Tap Magic for Aluminum" giving me any throat
tickle either, but then I'm old and something is causing these memory
lapses !!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

The aluminum Tap Magic is a totally different animal, Brian. I still have
an old can, purchased before 1983.

I swear by both of those products. I'm not convinced there's ever been
anything better for tapping.

Harold

I picked up a 16-oz can of Tap-Magic Original with TCE many years ago
at one of Scott Logan's open houses but never used it. Is that stuff
much better than currently available cutting fluids?