Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default liquid wrench be ok as a cutting or tapping fluid ?

Would liquid wrench be ok as a cutting or tapping fluid ? Any reason not to
use it ?
I will mostly be cutting/tapping aluminum.
Thanks !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 11, 6:32 pm, "pogo" wrote:
Would liquid wrench be ok as a cutting or tapping fluid ? Any reason not to
use it ?
I will mostly be cutting/tapping aluminum.
Thanks !

I don't see why not. I routinely use WD40 for working aluminum. Got
tierd of the smell of kerosine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pogo writes:

Would liquid wrench be ok as a cutting or tapping fluid ? Any reason
not to use it ?
I will mostly be cutting/tapping aluminum.

Liquid Wrench is nothing but kerosene in a high-priced can for suckers.

So, yes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
pogo writes:

Would liquid wrench be ok as a cutting or tapping fluid ? Any reason
not to use it ?
I will mostly be cutting/tapping aluminum.

Liquid Wrench is nothing but kerosene in a high-priced can for suckers.

So, yes.

Well, now that I know that I think I'll take my can back to Sears tomorrow.
:-)
Thanks for the info!
JCD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch writes:
pogo writes:

Would liquid wrench be ok as a cutting or tapping fluid ? Any reason
not to use it ?
I will mostly be cutting/tapping aluminum.

Liquid Wrench is nothing but kerosene in a high-priced can for suckers.

That's not what the MSDS says.

I'm not quite sure why you'd want to use a penetrant as a cutting
fluid, but it's not kerosene.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer writes:

Liquid Wrench is nothing but kerosene in a high-priced can for suckers.

That's not what the MSDS says.

Sure it does. If you know the nomenclature.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pogo wrote:

Would liquid wrench be ok as a cutting or tapping fluid ? Any reason not
to use it ?
I will mostly be cutting/tapping aluminum.

For aluminium, it is OK. Not for steel. So why not buy a real cutting fluid?
Oh! Spit is good for aluminium, can't be cheaper.

Nick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Depends on what you expect a tapping/cutting fluid to do. Most of
them simply carry away heat, either through flooding and convection,
or through evaporation (energy absorption due to change of state). A
few, like the old Rapid Tap that had 1,1,1-trichloroethane in it,
actually created a thin oxide layer on the tool as soon as the tool
got hot, and that oxide acted as the lubricant. The trick was to use
only a drop so that the tool would get warm enough. Too many folks
would flood it and the effect was lost.
Of course, like anything that works well, it was outlawed, in
this case because it affected the ozone layer. I don't know if the
"new" Rapid Tap (must be 17 or 18 years old now) does the same thing,
but it looks more like oil and doesn't work as well. I still have half
a can of the old stuff that I use only on the toughest cuts.
WD40 or kerosene or anything like that (I use Mouse Milk
sometimes) will evaporate quickly and cool the tool. Makes less mess
than having to flood it. The messiest stuff I ever used was a green
goop that resembled yogurt that worked ok but left scum and lumps all
over everything. Can't remember the name of it.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

You talking about Anchor Lube?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch writes:

Joe Pfeiffer writes:

Liquid Wrench is nothing but kerosene in a high-priced can for suckers.

That's not what the MSDS says.

Sure it does. If you know the nomenclature.

The bottom-end formulation of Liquid Wrench is mostly naphtha.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 12, 4:13 pm, "Rick" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

You talking about Anchor Lube?- Hide quoted text -

That was it.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
The messiest stuff I ever used was a green
goop that resembled yogurt that worked ok but left scum and lumps all
over everything. Can't remember the name of it.

Dan

Would that be Molly-D?

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer writes:

That's not what the MSDS says.

Sure it does. If you know the nomenclature.

The bottom-end formulation of Liquid Wrench is mostly naphtha.

Probably not what you mean by "naphtha", such as VM&P naphtha.

One MSDS gives, "PETROLEUM MID-DISTILLATE, ALIPHATIC PETROLEUM NAPHTHA".

Aka "kerosene".