Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 1,1,1 trichloroethane tapping fluid

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:05:47 -0700, wrote:

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:34:22 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I found a small bottle of 1,1,1 TCE at the dump today ("Typewriter*
Cleaning Fluid"). I've heard that a previous version of Tap Magic used
it and that the TCE made it far superior to the current stuff. Not used
anymore 'cause of the EPA.

Anyhow, I thought that I'd mix up my own tapping fluid with it, but
can't find a formula. Suggestions?

It isn't critical. Mix with some oil, about 10% or 20% oil in the TCE,
using whatever oil would work with the metal in question.

Joe Gwinn

Don't use the trichlor on aluminum. You will get a nasty chemical
reaction.
Eric

You mean, like bubbling black goo coming out of the hole and fumes
sinking around your feet?

Don't ask me how I know. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress