Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using oil emulsion cutting fluid for hand tapping - update

I finally got around to trying Rustlick WS-5050 emulsion for hand
tapping in 1018 steel. It works quite well, and yielded nice smooth
threads.

I wonder if the concentrate works better than the emulsion. The
concentrate is $20/gal, which is a big improvement over $10 for 4 oz.

The test was cutting the 5/8-18 threads in the T-Nut for the Dickson
toolpost on the Clausing 5914. The tap is spiral-pointed (ie, a gun
tap) and was made by Greenfield.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I finally got around to trying Rustlick WS-5050 emulsion for hand
tapping in 1018 steel. It works quite well, and yielded nice smooth
threads.

I wonder if the concentrate works better than the emulsion. The
concentrate is $20/gal, which is a big improvement over $10 for 4 oz.

The test was cutting the 5/8-18 threads in the T-Nut for the Dickson
toolpost on the Clausing 5914. The tap is spiral-pointed (ie, a gun
tap) and was made by Greenfield.

Joe Gwinn

Joe

Coincidentally I cut that exact same thread for a t-nut for my Clausing
5904 yesterday. Steel unknown but probably 1018. I used Tap Magic new
formula (no where near as good as the old stuff), and got a decent
thread. The t-nut is for a homemade tool post (basic idea was from an
article in a recent Machinist's Workshop) I modified it to accept BXA
or 200 series tool blocks. The Phase II block I usually use sometimes
interferes with the workpiece and or tailstock center, and besides, it
was a somewhat challenging project. I'm single point threading the bolt
but ran out of time to finish it yesterday.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Paul wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I finally got around to trying Rustlick WS-5050 emulsion for hand
tapping in 1018 steel. It works quite well, and yielded nice smooth
threads.

I wonder if the concentrate works better than the emulsion. The
concentrate is $20/gal, which is a big improvement over $10 for 4 oz.

The test was cutting the 5/8-18 threads in the T-Nut for the Dickson
toolpost on the Clausing 5914. The tap is spiral-pointed (ie, a gun
tap) and was made by Greenfield.

Joe Gwinn

Joe

Coincidentally I cut that exact same thread for a t-nut for my Clausing
5904 yesterday. Steel unknown but probably 1018. I used Tap Magic new
formula (no where near as good as the old stuff), and got a decent
thread.

I have Tap Magic and it does work, but it's annoyingly sticky and
expensive too boot. When I switched from toilet water coolant for
drilling to WS-5050 oil emulsion, I noticed that I didn't seem to need
the Tap Magic/

The t-nut is for a homemade tool post (basic idea was from an
article in a recent Machinist's Workshop) I modified it to accept BXA
or 200 series tool blocks. The Phase II block I usually use sometimes
interferes with the workpiece and or tailstock center, and besides, it
was a somewhat challenging project. I'm single point threading the bolt
but ran out of time to finish it yesterday.

Well, I wimped out and bought a 2' length of threaded rod.

As for the T-Nut, I added a 1/4-20 setscrew resting in a filed flat in
the side of the rod to ensure that the rod does not turn while the clamp
nut is being tightened. The danger is that if the rod turns, one can
deform or even tear the T-slot out.

Joe Gwinn