Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Madness at the gun show

On 3/24/2013 10:40 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 10:22:09 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

snip

Question: In addition to the above, do you see anything wrong with the
DHS ordering a couple billion rounds of ammo, purchasing millions of
body bags and coffins, and ordering 2,700 light tanks for itself?

Here, wake up, and stop getting your "news" from "Modern Survival
Blog" and the gazillion paranoid nutcases who believe them:

http://www.defense.gov/contracts/con...ontractid=4701

Of course, there's no mention of ammunition, body bags, coffins or light
tanks at that site.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

snip

Question: In addition to the above, do you see anything wrong with the
DHS ordering a couple billion rounds of ammo, purchasing millions of
body bags and coffins, and ordering 2,700 light tanks for itself?

Here, wake up, and stop getting your "news" from "Modern Survival
Blog" and the gazillion paranoid nutcases who believe them:

http://www.defense.gov/contracts/con...ontractid=4701

Of course, there's no mention of ammunition, body bags, coffins or light
tanks at that site.

The "light tanks" are the trucks that are first mentioned. A little
surfing will show you that the "tanks" actually are armored personnel
carriers.

The contract is for refurbishing 2,717 truck chassis that have been
returned from Iraq. It's a recycling job and the contract is being let
out by the Marines. Some rightard bloggers went insane over this
(actually, they were already there) and imagined tanks rolling down
Main Street.

As for the ammunition, I addressed that in another post. If you run
the numbers, you'll see that the DHS is a bunch of real pikers. Tom
shoots many times more ammo than federal agents do. For example, the
annual allotment of .357 mag ammo assigned to each SSA agent, mostly
for target practice, is less than Tom shoots in three weeks.

'Don't know about body bags. Someone else will have to look into that
one. It's probably a product of the same deranged minds that gave us
"DHS tanks."

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Whoops, I forgot to divide by five, for the five-year contract.
Actually, it's 120 rounds/agent/year. That's less than Gunner shoots
to warm up his barrels.

The bulk of it is going to ICE and related agencies, for practice and
service.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:36:01 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 10:22:09 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 12:42:52 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 01:23:46 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
m...

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:14:43 -0400,
wrote:

snip
So you have an expensive hobby.. I can see it if you are a target
shooter - but it's not target shooters that are causing the run on
ammo. It's nut-cases figuring they need enough ammo to run a private
or civil war for 4 years again.

Oh....like the US government, who bought 1.6 Billion rounds of ammo?
Enough to fight a war in Iraq for the next 26 yrs.

Gunner

Interesting:
http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/0...-of-civilians/

Law enforcement training to kill civilians, DHS buying 1.6 Billion rounds,
DHS buying ~3,000 armored assault vehicles for use in the USA. Why would
anyone be suspicious?

RogerN

With nut-cases hording guns and ammo the government mabee has reason
to be conserned??

It's -not- nutcases, clare, it's us normal people...

(Irony meter just pinned and bent the needle...)

It's all about perspective. Jim Carrey does a nice job laying it out.
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/043...ith-jim-carrey
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

om...

wrote:

[...]

Ohmigod, that's good. What's just as funny is the comments. He really
plucked some gun nutz' strings. Strings are what they have where
normal people have a sense of humor.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:10:05 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

No air traffic controllers - aka - no radar in a region - so the
little spy planes have free run without oversight.

Guess I'll have to design a anti-aircraft with radar assist for
my homeland defense program. ;-)

PLEASE make sure to release the detailed working plans to the Internet
as soon as it's up and running. Remember what happened to Dr. Barkley
when he delayed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115857/

While you work on that, I'll perfect my rooftop-mounted vaporizing
laser which will keep everything larger than a robin out of my yard.
Especially: No zombies, no revenuers, and no more Jayzuss Freaks. I
came home to a bloomin' Watchtower the other day...I guess I just need
to remember to strip nekkid before answering the door to them, huh?
(That should be enough for them to tell others of their kind to give
my house a wide berth, eh?) giggle

--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It's a little bit funny. It was pretty heavy-handed; no subtlety at all.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sublety is not Carrey's style. You have to like that down-home,
heavy-handed style of humor -- delivered with a brick.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:nv1tk89fhm8cc5j9048ncoqlnb06374vnk@4ax. com...

wrote:

[...]

The gun nutz absolutely hate it when you tell them that you know what
they're thinking and it ain't pretty. I love that they're running up
the cost of their paranoia while claiming that they're merely sensible
people. Considering the appalling stats about consumer debt, it would
be useful to poll feverish ammo buyers and ask them what they gave up
in order to fund their purchase. You know it's going to be things like
making more than the minimum payment on their credit card, health
insurance, kids' dental work, etc. Then ask them if they consider
themselves responsible, as if the results would be any less than 100%
yes. It's ****ing amazing, but I guess we should be getting used to
that. I couldn't believe it when a majority thought that Iraq was at
the root of 9-11, or had WMD, and that invading them made sense.
Couldn't the idiots learn something from their mistaken notions? Of
course not, because here we are again with yet another example of
national stupidity being played out by largely the same group of
mental midgets. No matter how many times they're proven helpless at
logic, they continue to believe they're intelligent and sensible.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've never liked Jim Carrey - too manic. Same with Robin Williams. I
don't like being hit over the head with a 2x4.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Except that none of you liberty-despising gun-grabbers is doing that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think you're attaching too much importance to logic and sense. It's
a cultural divide, one we've always had but which has grown hardened
and shrill in recent decades.

Bill Keller just wrote an editorial about it, "States Gone Wild":

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/op...pagewanted=all

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/0...lets-and-targe...

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/043...and-with-jim-c....

[...]

It's interesting to me that much of what KiddingNoOne wrote above can
also be applied to him as well.

An example of KiddingNoOne's similar faulty logic and bragging would
be his reasons and statements in regards to his purchase of the
grossly overweight Chevy Volt. When KiddingNoOne was questioned on his
faulty logic as well as his bragging he fell apart like a cheap suit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Of course there's lots going on. I think if I had to pin it down to
one root cause it would be the trend towards every man for himself.
But in order for someone to think that their personal right to "feel"
safe should take precedence over society's right to promote genuine
safety, the thinker has to be illogical. You can see it whenever the
gun nutz are faced with _any_ restrictions, no matter how reasonable.
They say there's "no such thing" (idiotic). They cry "second
amendment" (wrong and stupid) and "gun grabber" (paranoia). As Clare
explained, US restrictions will never be as tough as they are in
Canada already. And yet that hasn't resulted in wholesale "grabbing."
This is very simple stuff that even the dim witted ought to be able to
understand. But they prefer to put whatever whim is in their head (and
or off a crazy blog) over common sense and responsibility. Ironically,
they frequently claim to be patriots at the same time they're
advocating revolution. Which brings me back to the lack of reason.
They're afraid of losing their ability to fight a possible war with
their duly elected government, so they call for starting the war
instead. In the worst cases, we actually have people claiming they'd
rather have revolution than restrict felons' right to own firearms, or
have reduced magazine size or universal background checks. Those sorts
of positions aren't just illogical, they're insane no matter the
culture.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George Plimpton wrote:

With .22 ammo? They're going to run a civil war for for years using .22
ammo? You think?

I wouldn't want to stand in front of a .22 coming my way. They may be
small compared to others and not the highest velocity, but still very
deadly nonetheless.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/25/2013 12:34 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
George Plimpton wrote:

With .22 ammo? They're going to run a civil war for for years using .22
ammo? You think?

I wouldn't want to stand in front of a .22 coming my way. They may be
small compared to others and not the highest velocity, but still very
deadly nonetheless.

I wouldn't want to stand in front of a BB or a well-thrown baseball
coming my way, either, but I don't think anyone is contemplating waging
a civil war with them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/op...-gone-wild.htm...

[...]

I don't think this cuts to the core of the matter at all. I think it's
KiddingNoOne not dealing with reality as per usual.

The core problem is frustration on many Americans parts that their
government no longer cares about their needs or their rights on topics
like immigration, taxes, crime, jobs, etc.

The wants, needs and rights of the middle class has been decimated and
many Americans are very angry that they feel their government has sold
them out and that they have no voice.

With each passing year many Americans feel more and more hopelessness
that things aren't getting better and are getting worse... the last
thing many of them seem to feel they have is their right to gun
ownership and it's their last stand. It's unfortunate that many
Americans don't understand what the problems are and what they need to
do about it. Guns aren't the answer. Organized protesting against big
Wall St. banks and large multinational conglomerates that **** all
over middle class Americans is the answer. Before this can happen
Americans need to figure out who to effectively target to get the
changes they want.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

One of the reasons I find it interesting to engage in arguments here
is just a matter of exploring their whole mndset. You know that I grew
up in rural towns (in Md. and Pa., not in NJ) where there were two
seasons: hunting season and trout season. It was a rod or a gun, all
the time.

So I think I should be able to identify with their attitude. I
recognize what it is, but I don't identify with it. It was just taking
shape when I was last hunting and involved in serious target shooting.
This is something different. It's a cultural separation; each side
thinks it's part of a different country, almost.

It isn't gun owners versus non-owners. That FOX News poll conducted a
month or so ago makes that clear. The regulatory ideas I express here
are absolutely dead-center for typical gun owners in America. (They
don't believe it here of course; no matter. The numbers are there.
They just don't want to believe them.) It's easy to lose sight of that
when all the yelling is coming from the hard core.

But they are influential, and they've become the voice of gun owners
for those who are on the other side of the cultural divide. Many are
single-issue, so it lends political weight to their positions that is
out of proportion to their numbers. It's a real battle.

Their arguments and self-justifications are extreme nonsense, IMO.
They're so ideological that there is little chance for reason or facts
to get involved. Their minds are already made up, and that's the end
of it. To a lesser extent, that's also true of the anti-gun
extremists.

In the end, I don't think you should get wound up about logic or
facts. That isn't the battleground. It's pure tribalism, and there are
better ways to analyze it than trying to determine how crazy they are.
The tribalism has been described in such studies as Bill Bishop's _The
Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America is Tearing Us
Apart_. There are some other good studies that address it. Without
having access to the original data, or enough interest to pursue it
systematically, I can only consider this all on a second-hand basis.

But that's what it is, IMO. It's the old rural/urban divide, which has
become more complex. Guns are a central issue. Tribal myth-making is
at the heart of it, with guns as talismans and tribal identifiers, and
you can kiss reason goodbye.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 24, 3:46*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:01:57 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 12:41:25 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:59:34 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:14:43 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 18:59:11 -0600, "Pete C."

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:21:28 -0700 (PDT), clark
wrote:

20,000 people looking for ammo.

Midway has had 1,000,000 unique customers this year.

There is no where on the internet that is not out of stock for pistol bullets.

Magazines are sold out.

Ruger, the biggest gun manufacturer, is not taking any more orders.

Today I saw bricks of Rem Thunderbolt 22 ammo sell for $75 each.
And people were buying them.
* There's a sucker born every minute.

What sane person thinks they need more than 100 rounds of ammunition
on hand????

All of them. Anyone who actually goes to the range with any regularity
knows that 100 rds is nothing.
*So you have an expensive hobby.. * I can see it if you are a target
shooter - but it's not target shooters that are causing the run on
ammo. It's nut-cases figuring they need enough ammo to run a private
or civil war for 4 years again.

Oh....like the US government, who bought 1.6 Billion rounds of ammo?
Enough to fight a war in Iraq for the next 26 yrs.

Gunner
Bet it wasn't .22

Nope..its .40 S&W and 5.56

Gunner

Don't tell this to Gunner, because it would really disturb his story
line, and put an end to a lot of cracker-barrel entertainment. But
here's where all that ammo is going:

First, it's a five-year buy. So divide these figures by five for the
annual rate. It's almost enough for Gunner's range practice. g:

750 million rounds to the DHS Training Centers, where tens of
thousands of police officers from various states and 70,000 agents
from 90 federal agencies use DHS range facilities.

The rest goes to ICE (20,500 employees; includes four law-enforcement
agencies and many other agencies, from TSA to the Federal Protective
Service):

450 million rounds of .40-caliber duty ammunition

200 million rounds of rifle ammunition

176,000 rounds of hollow-point .357 service ammo for 295 SSA agents.

All in all, it sounds like a hot weekend of Gunner training
gang-bangers in the desert. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

LOL...good one Ed.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 06:59:34 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 12:39:57 -0400,
wrote:

What sane person thinks they need more than 100 rounds of ammunition
on hand????

What compulsive control freak brands you insane for demanding your
constitutionally-guaranteed civil rights?

Clare is Canadian. He doesnt have any guarenteed civil rights.

Sadly.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

One would think that the gun loons could do the math...apparently not.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

logic, they continue to believe they're intelligent and sensible.- Hide quoted text -

Very well said.

They will be the same ones who claim they can't afford health
insurance...but will spend their money on BS.

Gummer is their Usenet poster boy.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

don't like being hit over the head with a 2x4.- Hide quoted text -

Humor comes in all forms.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not when you're humor impaired and feel the need to use tons of
aliases like Plimpton does to support his arguments.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

changes they want.- Hide quoted text -

Well said.

Very well said.

TMT

Please... I'm not use to getting any support for my "radical" points
of view in Usenet. I've learned to go it alone.

Is there some reason you do what Larry Jackass and Tom Gardner
recommend... kill file me. That makes everything all better. ;)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Should be: Is there some reason you can't do what....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well said and well written.

Wish I could write that well.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The civil war has never really ended in the USA -= there has just been
a long uneasy truce.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What sane person thinks they need more than 100 rounds of ammunition
on hand????

What compulsive control freak brands you insane for demanding your
constitutionally-guaranteed civil rights?

Clare is Canadian. He doesnt have any guarenteed civil rights.

Sadly.

Gunner

Think again Gunner. The charter of rights and freedoms guarantees us
at least as many rights and freedoms as your much-ammended
constitution.. Some DIFFERENT ones, but no less.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 06:59:34 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in
messagenews:90fvk81ec32u3ah941n78qa404t1hcnalq@4 ax.com...
wrote:

What sane person thinks they need more than 100 rounds of ammunition
on hand????

What *compulsive control freak brands you insane for demanding your
constitutionally-guaranteed civil rights?

Clare is Canadian. He doesnt have any guarenteed civil rights.

Sadly.

Gunner

* Think again Gunner. The charter of rights and freedoms guarantees us
at least as many rights and freedoms as your much-ammended
constitution.. Some DIFFERENT ones, but no less.

"Think again Gunner."

Not a strength of his.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:42:19 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:37:41 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Unfortunately...American politics isnt quite that easy. The Democratic
National Committee controls the Democrats..and the Marxists that
control the DNC and their myrid Useful Idiots are very hard to deal
with. Which is why the Great Cull or the Second American Revolution is
in the wings. When those people are simply murdered outright...it
will help level the playing field considerably.

I sure hope homeland security and the other law enforcement agencies
read these newsgroups -- there is a lot of grounds for charges of
treason on these groups every single day.

Oh, HORSE****, clare! You're getting as bad as Huntress. Nobody is
threatening anyone, gov't or otherwise, or arrests would already have
been made and bodies sequestered. Give it a rest.

We sense things coming down the pike and are getting ready to hole-up
SECURELY while it goes on around us. It's prepping, not treason.

We got saddled with the "charter of rights and freedoms" by our old
friend " Peter Waterhole" a few decades ago, which has made things a
little harder as now every Tom Dick and Harry has his "rights"
guaranteed, without having his "responsibilities" also laid out by
law.

That sounds too much like our own (speaking-weasel-led) gov't at work.

--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Unfortunately...American politics isnt quite that easy. The Democratic
National Committee controls the Democrats..and the Marxists that
control the DNC and their myrid Useful Idiots are very hard to deal
with. Which is why the Great Cull or the Second American Revolution is
in the wings. When those people are simply murdered outright...it
will help level the playing field considerably.

I sure hope homeland security and the other law enforcement agencies
read these newsgroups -- there is a lot of grounds for charges of
treason on these groups every single day.

Oh, HORSE****, clare! You're getting as bad as Huntress. Nobody is
threatening anyone, gov't or otherwise, or arrests would already have
been made and bodies sequestered. Give it a rest.

[Larry sez, acknowledging his veiled threat -- and knowing that a
veiled threat is a real threat, behind a veil...]

"Anyway, the only threat was a veiled "We're out here, Mr. & Mrs.
Politician, and we're getting awfully antsy with your actions of late.
Please stay in line and heed our wishes, Mr. Public Servant, or we'll
have to steer you with a firmer hand." What was Gunner's quote
regarding public outcry? "From the soapbox, to the ballot box, to the
cartridge box." This guy was a visual cue, a precursor, for that
statement's logical outcome...since they haven't taken the first two
cues to heed. shrug"

The "statement's logical outcome" is an elected official with a bullet
in him. No amount of bobbing and weaving gets you around that.

We sense things coming down the pike and are getting ready to hole-up
SECURELY while it goes on around us. It's prepping, not treason.

We got saddled with the "charter of rights and freedoms" by our old
friend " Peter Waterhole" a few decades ago, which has made things a
little harder as now every Tom Dick and Harry has his "rights"
guaranteed, without having his "responsibilities" also laid out by
law.

That sounds too much like our own (speaking-weasel-led) gov't at work.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Carrey fans:

"http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/03/25/hee-haw-jim-carrey-mocks-gun-lovers-charlton-heston-in-spoof.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

If you don't understand how easily it is for the Feds to monitor any
group..especially Usenet where the gun loons love to hang out..you
really are an idiot.

People like Gummer have a large digital file..and the locals are
likely advised to monitor him on a regular basis.

FWIW...guns shows are heavily monitored by the Feds.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If I were on the jury, I would convict.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

There is no doubt Larry Jackass is a complete idiot. Probably a
ticking time bomb as well.

Read this:

http://tinyurl.com/clmdqyo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Which civil war are you chatting about? The one between the
colonials and the Brits? Or the one in 1861? If thats the one you
are referring to..cites?

snip

But that's what it is, IMO. It's the old rural/urban divide, which has
become more complex. Guns are a central issue. Tribal myth-making is
at the heart of it, with Liberalism/socialism as talismans and tribal identifiers, and
you can kiss the Constitution goodbye.

Fixed that for you.

Gunner

Wilkinsons madness. The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 33 April 1st 10 10:21 PM
ice cube madness [email protected] Electronics Repair 63 April 6th 08 08:34 PM
ice cube madness [email protected] Home Repair 56 April 6th 08 08:34 PM
Mailbox madness HeyBub Home Repair 1 November 2nd 06 01:01 AM
Shop Cranes: I'll show you mine if you show me yours... Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 4 March 3rd 05 12:08 AM