Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default ice cube madness

I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?

Sublimation. Evaporation from the dryer air around it. Happens to snow also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
PD PD is offline

On Mar 18, 4:20*am, wrote:
I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?

Same reason water evaporates in an environment that appears to stay
the same. Solids can evaporate into gas. Dry ice is famous for doing
that.

PD

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"PD" wrote in message
On Mar 18, 4:20 am, wrote:
I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?

Same reason water evaporates in an environment that appears to stay
the same. Solids can evaporate into gas. Dry ice is famous for doing
that.

PD

==============

"Famous" is right! I saw some dry ice on Letterman's show last year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

S. wrote on Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:12:23 -0500:

SB http://www.wonderquest.com/ice-sublime.htm

SB sublimation

SB wrote in message
SB
?? I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic
?? ice maker storage got high and a single ice cube
?? got placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there
?? for a while, but started getting smaller, now it is almost
?? nothing.
??
?? What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment
?? that appears to stay the same?

As many people have said the cause is sublimation. Have you ever
examined the ice-cube tray after a vacation? It will probably be
quite apparent that the cubes are smaller than when you went
away.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 18, 5:20*am, wrote:
I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that
appears to stay the same?

Ice Mites - Small, almost invisible creatures with constant teething
problems. By eating the stray ice cubes that end up outside of the
storage bin, they keep their gums numb. It's a survival instinct - if
they didn't numb their gums, there would be this constant moaning from
your freezer, resulting in detection and probable elimination.

In desparate cases, when the ice cubes are removed by the human on a
regular basis (resulting in few, if any, strays) the mites have been
known to use their ice grabbing tenticles to create a small hole in
freezer bags, allowing in just enough moisture for frost to form on
the stored object. This gives them another source of ice to numb their
gums.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Mar 18, 5:20 am, wrote:
[...]

===================

They don't want us to know about this mite issue.

They. You know who they are. Them. The same "they" who own the patent for an
engine that develops 400 horsepower and gets 85 mpg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 18, 5:47*am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

Sublimation. Evaporation from the dryer air around it. Happens to snow also.

The same process keeps your freezer "frost free".

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"James Silverton" wrote

As many people have said the cause is sublimation. Have you ever examined
the ice-cube tray after a vacation? It will probably be quite apparent
that the cubes are smaller than when you went away.

My inlaws didn't use ice cubes. Before going over there for whatever
occasion, I'd remind them to refill the trays. It would be very
disappointing to go for dinner and find tiny little dehydrated cubes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
PD PD is offline

On Mar 18, 9:49*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

In desparate cases, when the ice cubes are removed by the human on a
regular basis (resulting in few, if any, strays) the mites have been
known to use their ice grabbing tenticles to create a small hole in
freezer bags, allowing in just enough moisture for frost to form on
the stored object. This gives them another source of ice to numb their
gums.

On this note, it's been observed that if you want to freeze meat or
fish or shrimp and have it be just as good months later, a good
technique is to put the food in a ziplock bag and then fill the bag
full of water before zipping the bag shut. Freezer burn is due to
sublimation of the water in the food, and by the method just
described, the added water does the sublimating rather than the food.

I tried this trick with same-day shrimp acquired in South Carolina in
June, and I thawed the last 2-lb bag for dinner in January, and it
tasted just like the shrimp cooked the first day.

PD

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
PD PD is offline

On Mar 18, 11:55*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?

Other's have addressed your concern, but since you brought up ice cubes,
maybe I can hijack the thread for a moment and invite speculation on an
odd experience I had many years ago.

In a standard plastic ice cube tray in my freezer, one of the cubes grew
a vertical icicle. Probably 1/2" to 3/4" long, and perfectly icicle
shaped, i.e., a long, narrow, pointed shape, roughly symmetrical but
with typical irregularities.

I did keep it, but sublimation apparently ate it up after about a week.
Never seen it happen again, and never heard of it happening to anyone
else.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/s.../icespikes.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

***{The same question was raised last year at about this time. That
post, including my response, is copied below. --MJ}***

In article .com,
"Paul Cardinale" wrote:

On Mar 19, 4:11 pm, Dan wrote:
My brother was making ice cubes in my fridge for 1792 (Whiskey). One
cube grew an upward rod that ended in a point, about an inch high. My
brother likes to see things like this as signs that our dead dog is
sending a signal, but I told him it probably has something to do with
impurities in the water. Can someone explain this?

Dan

Yes. The explanation as to why your brother sees things that way is:
he is a woo-woo.

***{I've seen those spikes myself. They rise up out of the centers of
ice cubes. The likely reason is that the cube freezes from the outside
in. That means there is a reservoir of liquid in the center of the cube
as the outside freezes. Since water expands as it freezes, the liquid in
the center gets squeezed tighter and tighter, and eventually pushes out
through the point of least resistance. That point is usually at the top
of the cube in the center. Only in that way can the pressure be
relieved. Naturally, as water oozes out, it freezes around the edges of
the opening so formed. Result: a little volcano type of structure arises
there. That's how the spikes are formed. --MJ}***

If I seem to be ignoring you, consider the possibility
that you are in my killfile. --MJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"James Silverton" wrote in message
S. wrote on Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:20:09 -0500:

SBWhat's an 'ice cube tray' ? G

Huh! Are you implying that your fridge has a cube maker and people who
use trays are old-fashioned? I made a conscious decision to get what I
thought I needed.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Good for you. I can't imagine life without an ice maker, especially after
having kids that never filled the trays. I'm willing to pay for modern
conveniences.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?

It's slowly making its way to wherever it is orphan socks go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
PD PD is offline

On Mar 18, 6:21*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
wrote:
I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?

You've gotten some good answers. *I asked a while back why a glass filled
with ice and water added doesn't overflow when the ice melts if you don't
drink any of the water *I can't for the life of me remember the answer
and am too lazy to Google for it. *It just seemed a curious thing to me.

And the answer is that because ice is less dense than water, the
volume of the ice when it melts (into water) becomes exactly equal to
the volume under the waterline of the icecubes. This is in fact the
discovery that Archimedes made a few years back.

PD
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Had a home for sale with a ice maker that sat vacant for several
months, a idiot home inspector wrote up mal formed ice cubes from
maker, because they had sublimiated away. true what was left of the
cubes looked wierd.

the deal fell thru buyer said your home has too many troubles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I used to know a lot of facts about Archimedes but something seems to
have displaced that knowledge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

jmcquown wrote:

You've gotten some good answers. I asked a while back why a glass filled
with ice and water added doesn't overflow when the ice melts if you don't
drink any of the water I can't for the life of me remember the answer
and am too lazy to Google for it. It just seemed a curious thing to me.

There is a similar question about a boat full of iron ore sinking in a canal
lock. The water level does not change because floating objects displace water
equivalent to their weight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I used to know a lot of facts about Archimedes but something seems to
have displaced that knowledge.

Do you suppose it's due to too many baths?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Dave Smith writes:

jmcquown wrote:

You've gotten some good answers. I asked a while back why a glass filled
with ice and water added doesn't overflow when the ice melts if you don't
drink any of the water I can't for the life of me remember the answer
and am too lazy to Google for it. It just seemed a curious thing to me.

There is a similar question about a boat full of iron ore sinking in a canal
lock. The water level does not change because floating objects displace water
equivalent to their weight.

True, but beyond that, most things expand as they
melt.

Ice is one of the few solids that is less dense in
solid form than liquid form.

And that's a good thing, otherwise, lakes and oceans would
freeze from the bottom up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"jmcquown" wrote in message

You've gotten some good answers. I asked a while back why a glass filled
with ice and water added doesn't overflow when the ice melts if you don't
drink any of the water I can't for the life of me remember the answer
and am too lazy to Google for it. It just seemed a curious thing to me.

Jill

Most thing shrink when frozen. Water expands when it freezes and can exert a
lot of pressure. Thusly, when ice melts the volume decreases.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

James Silverton wrote:
S. wrote on Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:12:23 -0500:

SB http://www.wonderquest.com/ice-sublime.htm

SB sublimation

SB wrote in message
SB
?? I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic
?? ice maker storage got high and a single ice cube
?? got placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there
?? for a while, but started getting smaller, now it is almost
?? nothing.
??
?? What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment
?? that appears to stay the same?

As many people have said the cause is sublimation. Have you ever
examined the ice-cube tray after a vacation? It will probably be
quite apparent that the cubes are smaller than when you went
away.

Yea that's true

Guess I haven't used ice trays for a while, I was thinking of making
some juice or maybe root beer cubes when it gets warmer though.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

Sublimation. Evaporation from the dryer air around it. Happens to snow also.

The same process keeps your freezer "frost free".

Some of the apartments I lived in was opposite the case, you had to
defrost about every three months

Reminds me spring time is a good time to pull out and defurr the the
fridge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

PD wrote:
On Mar 18, 9:49�am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

In desparate cases, when the ice cubes are removed by the human on a
regular basis (resulting in few, if any, strays) the mites have been
known to use their ice grabbing tenticles to create a small hole in
freezer bags, allowing in just enough moisture for frost to form on
the stored object. This gives them another source of ice to numb their
gums.

On this note, it's been observed that if you want to freeze meat or
fish or shrimp and have it be just as good months later, a good
technique is to put the food in a ziplock bag and then fill the bag
full of water before zipping the bag shut. Freezer burn is due to
sublimation of the water in the food, and by the method just
described, the added water does the sublimating rather than the food.

That's a good thing to think about.

I tried this trick with same-day shrimp acquired in South Carolina in
June, and I thawed the last 2-lb bag for dinner in January, and it
tasted just like the shrimp cooked the first day.

PD

We get roadside roasted green chile every fall and there ends up
being lots of great liquid. Twist the top making
an ice seal by having wet hands when you twist it closed and a year
later it still will have that great fresh roasted green chile flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 18, 9:36*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

You've gotten some good answers. *I asked a while back why a glass filled
with ice and water added doesn't overflow when the ice melts if you don't
drink any of the water *I can't for the life of me remember the answer
and am too lazy to Google for it. *It just seemed a curious thing to me.

Jill

Most thing shrink when frozen. Water expands when it freezes and can exert a
lot of pressure. *Thusly, when ice melts the volume decreases.

Most thing shrink when frozen

Which is why I avoid nude beaches when the water's cold.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Good to hear it's not biological, yikes

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 18, 8:15*pm, Puester wrote:
- DerbyDad03 wrote:
-
- - I used to know a lot of facts about Archimedes but something
seems to have displaced that knowledge.

- Do you suppose it's due to too many baths?
-
- gloria p

Or from getting crowned...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-03-18, PD wrote:

described, the added water does the sublimating rather than the food.

I tried this trick with same-day shrimp acquired in South Carolina in
June, and I thawed the last 2-lb bag for dinner in January, and it
tasted just like the shrimp cooked the first day.

I agree. Used to be able to buy 4lb of shrimp in blocks of ice. It would
keep almost forever and taste nearly fresh upon melting. These newer
packaging methods using flash freezing are already somewhat mummified right
out of the market. Nowhere near the moisture and freshness. This also
works for fish you catch yourself. Put in topless milk cartons full of
water and freeze. The meat retains it's firmness and moisture. I never
tried this with other than fish or seafood. I'm not sure it would work too
well with herd animal flesh. Maybe.

nb

I used to always freeze fish in plastic grocery bags and they would go
bad pretty fast. A shame ending a fishes
life by keeping them and not even using them. The carton method isn't
very practical for me, Any ideas for
freezing fish to last at least a month?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

I used to always freeze fish in plastic grocery bags and they would go
bad pretty fast. A shame ending a fishes
life by keeping them and not even using them. The carton method isn't
very practical for me, Any ideas for
freezing fish to last at least a month?

Vacuum sealer

Cool, I will look into that. Very disappointing throwing fish or any
food for that matter away.

ice cube madness [email protected] Electronics Repair 63 April 6th 08 08:34 PM
Roland Cube distortion N Cook Electronics Repair 2 December 11th 07 06:50 PM
CUBE IN A CUBE J T Woodworking 0 August 30th 07 04:36 AM
ice macker crushed the cube and dot fall cube Arde Home Repair 1 January 3rd 07 06:36 AM
nintendo game cube rftrap Electronics Repair 3 February 7th 04 04:17 PM