Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default ice cube madness

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:37:45 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Had a home for sale with a ice maker that sat vacant for several
months, a idiot home inspector wrote up mal formed ice cubes from
maker, because they had sublimiated away. true what was left of the
cubes looked wierd.

the deal fell thru buyer said your home has too many troubles.

Some refrigerators were made with a freon/thalidomide combination, and
that causes malformed ice cubes. Early imports from China.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:10:07 -0400, mm
wrote:

They make some ice-cube trays that are bottles with caps. I tried one
and it worked but the cubes were little balls, and too small.

And this is why some people take the ice cubes out of the trays and
put them in bags, so they don't disappear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:42:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

I used to always freeze fish in plastic grocery bags and they would go
bad pretty fast. A shame ending a fishes
life by keeping them and not even using them. The carton method isn't
very practical for me, Any ideas for
freezing fish to last at least a month?

Vacuum sealer

Cool, I will look into that. Very disappointing throwing fish or any
food for that matter away.

I know how you feel. I don't like to waste food or anything, but it's
worse to waste meat and fish. They died so we could eat them. We
should do so.

I had one roommate whose father, he told me, worked at a state mental
hospital. He would bring home a lot of spaghetti, butter, 64 oz. cans
of corn, and several other things, all labeled Not for Sale. I think
his father bartered them in return for working on private cars for the
kitchen staff.

It was bad enough that they, he and his girl friend, stole from the
mental hospital, but worse that they let the food rot sometimes. One
64 oz. can of vegetables had about 8 oz. eaten and nothing more and
after long enough, it rotted.

And it wasn't a prison, the residents weren't even criminals, and they
still stole from them.

I didn't want to fight with them when they were living htere, but
after they left, I wrote them a letter saying more or less what I have
here. I'm sure his parents took even more food for his house than
these two did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

They make some ice-cube trays that are bottles with caps. *I tried one
and it worked but the cubes were little balls, and too small.

And this is why some people take the ice cubes out of the trays and
put them in bags, so they don't disappear.

Actually, I took them out of the trays and put them in bags so I would
have more than 24 cubes available.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
PD wrote:

On Mar 18, 11:55*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*monkey wrote:
I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?

Other's have addressed your concern, but since you brought up ice cubes,
maybe I can hijack the thread for a moment and invite speculation on an
odd experience I had many years ago.

In a standard plastic ice cube tray in my freezer, one of the cubes grew
a vertical icicle. Probably 1/2" to 3/4" long, and perfectly icicle
shaped, i.e., a long, narrow, pointed shape, roughly symmetrical but
with typical irregularities.

I did keep it, but sublimation apparently ate it up after about a week.
Never seen it happen again, and never heard of it happening to anyone
else.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/s.../icespikes.htm

Thank you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

I used to always freeze fish in plastic grocery bags and they would go
bad pretty fast. A shame ending a fishes
life by keeping them and not even using them. The carton method isn't
very practical for me, Any ideas for
freezing fish to last at least a month?

Vacuum sealer

Cool, I will look into that. Very disappointing throwing fish or any
food for that matter away.

I know how you feel. I don't like to waste food or anything, but it's
worse to waste meat and fish. They died so we could eat them. We
should do so.

We have a downstairs fridge and I put stuff it in there to thaw it out
and occasionally, rarely but occasionally, I will have this feeling
and go oh, and go downstairs and it's either complete relief or strong
disappointment cause we often buy in bulk.

I would rather just burn the money spent for it rather than throw the
stuff away.

I had one roommate whose father, he told me, worked at a state mental
hospital. He would bring home a lot of spaghetti, butter, 64 oz. cans
of corn, and several other things, all labeled Not for Sale. I think
his father bartered them in return for working on private cars for the
kitchen staff.

It was bad enough that they, he and his girl friend, stole from the
mental hospital, but worse that they let the food rot sometimes. One
64 oz. can of vegetables had about 8 oz. eaten and nothing more and
after long enough, it rotted.

When I get large cans of vegetables that's what were gonna have as
aprt of a couple of dinners, nice big piles,
(I love those canned mixed vegetables) Then it's on for a big pot of
vegetable beef soup\stew.

If anything is left over it's to the freezer.

And it wasn't a prison, the residents weren't even criminals, and they
still stole from them.

If you are talking about the kitchen they stole from?

That creates hassles for the cooks and people who take inventory,
innocent employees being accused of theft and the bottom line.

Prison though, I don't see it matters, if they steal from the kitchen
they still steal from somebody.

I didn't want to fight with them when they were living htere, but
after they left, I wrote them a letter saying more or less what I have
here. I'm sure his parents took even more food for his house than
these two did.

Yea I have seen this stealing and waste also. I've seen managers take
large unopened items then heard "I need another one because I left the
other one open." I say if your gonna steal it at least have some
respect for it. And don't think pretending you are entitled makes that
so, steal it, don't allow your co-workers to see what you are doing,
unless they do it too. Me I really don't want to see it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:35:49 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

And it wasn't a prison, the residents weren't even criminals, and they
still stole from them.

If you are talking about the kitchen they stole from?

I don't think this kid or his father did the stealing itself, but the
food was marked "Dept. of Agriculture" maybe iirc and definitely
marked Not for Resale. The father ran the autoshop at the hospital,
and he knew who his customers were and where the food was coming from.
And I'm sure the son did too and 10 to 1 odds he told his girlfriend.
They got married a month after they moved out of my place. He didn't
answer the letter I wrote him. Embarrassed or angry, I'm sure. I'd
guess the odds were 50/50 he stopped taking the food. By now he would
have children in college. Maybe three generations are eating off that
food.

That creates hassles for the cooks and people who take inventory,
innocent employees being accused of theft and the bottom line.

Prison though, I don't see it matters, if they steal from the kitchen
they still steal from somebody.

As far as their stealing goes, you're right, it doesnt' matter, it's
stealing from the state of NY either way. But I tried to foresee the
kind of excuse someone in this situation would use, like, if this were
a prison, "They are criminals and they don't get adequately punished
anyhow, and we're just treating them the way they should be treated."
But even that, as phony as it it, doesn't apply here.

I didn't want to fight with them when they were living htere, but
after they left, I wrote them a letter saying more or less what I have
here. I'm sure his parents took even more food for his house than
these two did.

Yea I have seen this stealing and waste also. I've seen managers take
large unopened items then heard "I need another one because I left the
other one open."

Wow.

I say if your gonna steal it at least have some
respect for it. And don't think pretending you are entitled makes that
so, steal it, don't allow your co-workers to see what you are doing,
unless they do it too. Me I really don't want to see it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Dave Smith writes:

There is a similar question about a boat full of iron ore sinking
lock. in a canal The water level does not change because floating
objects displace water equivalent to their weight.

Nope. The water level drops.

In the boat, the iron ore displaces a volume of water equivalent to its
weight. Once the ore sinks, it displaces only its own volume of water. As
water is significantly less dense than iron ore, the water level goes down.

You're confusing this puzzle with the one about floating ice cubes. Even Mr.
Wizard got that one wrong

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In article , Dave Smith writes:
There is a similar question about a boat full of iron ore sinking in a canal
lock. The water level does not change because floating objects displace water
equivalent to their weight.

And sunk objects displace water equivalent to their volume.

A boat full of iron ore has a density greater than that of water, else
it would not sink. Accordingly, the volume it displaces when sunk
is less than the volume it displaces when floating.

The level in the canal goes down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

PD wrote:
You've gotten some good answers. I asked a while back why a glass
filled with ice and water added doesn't overflow when the ice melts
if you don't drink any of the water I can't for the life of me
remember the answer and am too lazy to Google for it. It just seemed
a curious thing to me.

And the answer is that because ice is less dense than water, the
volume of the ice when it melts (into water) becomes exactly equal to
the volume under the waterline of the icecubes. This is in fact the
discovery that Archimedes made a few years back.

Which is also why, if the entire Artic ice shelf melts, the ocean level will
rise exactly zero feet.

This is not true of the Antarctic ice fields - they've got southern ice.

If the Arctic ice melts, however, the salinity of the oceans will change and
all the fish will DIE. Bathers will no longer have to worry about sharks,
true, but Pirana will be able to live in the ocean...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
PD PD is offline

On Mar 19, 10:50*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
PD wrote:
[...]

This is also true. Unfortunately, if the Arctic ice fields melt, then
so do the Antarctic ice fields, though there may be some short-term
(~10 year) anisotropy. And there is far more ice in the Antarctic than
in the Arctic -- about 8 times as much.

PD
Posted to sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-03-18, Brawny wrote:

The same process keeps your freezer "frost free".

Not really.

Your freezer remains frost free due to a mechanical process. The defrost
timer completely cuts off the refrigeration unit at regular intervals and
then a fan comes on and blows above-freezing-air from the refrigerator
compartment across the freezer coil vanes which melts the accumulated frost.
This happens for about a 15-30 min period every 12-24 hrs (depending on
make/model). Defroster timer failure is the most common cause of
refrigerator malfunctions. It's an easy fix. Just replace the timer, which
is usually a plug-in module for easy swap out.

nb

At least in my refrigerator there's also a heating element the winds
through the freezer coil.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Nope. The water level drops.

In the boat, the iron ore displaces a volume of water equivalent to its
weight. Once the ore sinks, it displaces only its own volume of water. As
water is significantly less dense than iron ore, the water level goes
down.

You're confusing this puzzle with the one about floating ice cubes. Even
Mr.
Wizard got that one wrong

But if the ore is more dense, it would not float in the first place by
itself. That is only a portion of the puzzle. The boat also had air
pockets, lighter material in the hull, etc. If all of it sinks and air
pockets remain, the level goes up.

If you took iron ore by itself, it would sink right away and raise the
level, but it never did float in the first place so it just moved water. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-03-18, PD wrote:

described, the added water does the sublimating rather than the food.

I tried this trick with same-day shrimp acquired in South Carolina in
June, and I thawed the last 2-lb bag for dinner in January, and it
tasted just like the shrimp cooked the first day.

I agree. Used to be able to buy 4lb of shrimp in blocks of ice. It would
keep almost forever and taste nearly fresh upon melting. These newer
packaging methods using flash freezing are already somewhat mummified right
out of the market. Nowhere near the moisture and freshness. This also
works for fish you catch yourself. Put in topless milk cartons full of
water and freeze. The meat retains it's firmness and moisture. I never
tried this with other than fish or seafood. I'm not sure it would work too
well with herd animal flesh. Maybe.

nb

I used to always freeze fish in plastic grocery bags and they would go
bad pretty fast. A shame ending a fishes
life by keeping them and not even using them. The carton method isn't
very practical for me, Any ideas for
freezing fish to last at least a month?

Do what I mentioned earlier. I served salmon that had been iced this way a year
earlier to a very avid fisherman once. He complimented me on how fresh it
tasted.

The thicker layer of ice, the longer it lasts, so multiple coats help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Nope. The water level drops.

In the boat, the iron ore displaces a volume of water equivalent to its
weight. Once the ore sinks, it displaces only its own volume of water. As
water is significantly less dense than iron ore, the water level goes down.

You're confusing this puzzle with the one about floating ice cubes. Even Mr.
Wizard got that one wrong

But if the ore is more dense, it would not float in the first place by itself.
That is only a portion of the puzzle. The boat also had air pockets, lighter
material in the hull, etc. If all of it sinks and air pockets remain, the
level goes up.

Bzzzz! Sorry, you lose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

PD wrote:

And the answer is that because ice is less dense than water, the
volume of the ice when it melts (into water) becomes exactly equal to
the volume under the waterline of the icecubes. This is in fact the
discovery that Archimedes made a few years back.

PD

Displacement, but not with ice. He used water displacement to prove
that a piece of gold wasn't pure, by comparing its displacement to a
piece of pure gold of the same weight. The only other way would have
been to melt it down to measure the volume.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM
Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Actually, I took them out of the trays and put them in bags so I would
have more than 24 cubes available.

Not a good idea. Ice cubes only mate in the wild. If they don't
mate, they don't make more cubes. ;-)

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

ice cube madness [email protected] Electronics Repair 63 April 6th 08 09:34 PM
Roland Cube distortion N Cook Electronics Repair 2 December 11th 07 07:50 PM
CUBE IN A CUBE J T Woodworking 0 August 30th 07 05:36 AM
ice macker crushed the cube and dot fall cube Arde Home Repair 1 January 3rd 07 07:36 AM
nintendo game cube rftrap Electronics Repair 3 February 7th 04 05:17 PM