Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 304 sheet hard on one side?

So I'm fabricating some stuff out of 40 mil 304 sheet ('cause that's what
I could get from McMaster -- I know now it was a Bad Choice for doing
lots of drilling and whatnot).

Thanks to some input here, I'm doing pretty good, but I noticed that the
sheet seems to be fairly well annealed on one side, but really hard on
the other. Trying to drill 1/16" holes in the stuff, it makes an
enormous difference (like, between success and failure with a side of
broken drill bit) whether I start drilling on the "good" side or the
"bad" side.

Is this common?

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 13:08:35 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

So I'm fabricating some stuff out of 40 mil 304 sheet ('cause that's what
I could get from McMaster -- I know now it was a Bad Choice for doing
lots of drilling and whatnot).

Thanks to some input here, I'm doing pretty good, but I noticed that the
sheet seems to be fairly well annealed on one side, but really hard on
the other. Trying to drill 1/16" holes in the stuff, it makes an
enormous difference (like, between success and failure with a side of
broken drill bit) whether I start drilling on the "good" side or the
"bad" side.

Is this common?

Yes unfortunately.

And always remember

"303, thats for me!"
304..shes a whore!"

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So I'm fabricating some stuff out of 40 mil 304 sheet ('cause that's
what I could get from McMaster -- I know now it was a Bad Choice for
doing lots of drilling and whatnot).

Thanks to some input here, I'm doing pretty good, but I noticed that the
sheet seems to be fairly well annealed on one side, but really hard on
the other. Trying to drill 1/16" holes in the stuff, it makes an
enormous difference (like, between success and failure with a side of
broken drill bit) whether I start drilling on the "good" side or the
"bad" side.

Is this common?

Yes unfortunately.

And always remember

"303, thats for me!"
304..shes a whore!"

Yes, I was thinking that when I was looking ALL OVER for 303 sheet about
that thick.

I have figured out the right feed rate to drill the stuff. It goes
through like I'm drilling really hard lead (if that makes sense), with a
"crack!" at the end when it breaks through the hardened material.

It does dull drill bits amazingly fast -- I didn't used to be able to
sharpen 1/16" drill bits by hand on a grinder, but I sure am now!

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I recently drilled some holes in 1/4" 304...using a fresh tip and my
plasma cutter. Saved a bunch of time G

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So I'm fabricating some stuff out of 40 mil 304 sheet ('cause that's what
I could get from McMaster -- I know now it was a Bad Choice for doing
lots of drilling and whatnot).

Thanks to some input here, I'm doing pretty good, but I noticed that the
sheet seems to be fairly well annealed on one side, but really hard on
the other. Trying to drill 1/16" holes in the stuff, it makes an
enormous difference (like, between success and failure with a side of
broken drill bit) whether I start drilling on the "good" side or the
"bad" side.

Is this common?

Yes unfortunately.

And always remember

"303, thats for me!"
304..shes a whore!"

Gunner

My version

303, she's so sweet
Take her home for mom to meet
304 she's a whore
don't want to see her no more

I hadn't notice this, harder on one side, I'll keep it in mind.

I won't even try 304 drilling unless its in my big drill press.
I push so hard, I've snapped small drills from the pressure
Then use oil and run slow.

One of the biggest tricks i learned is to friction saw the stuff, run
the bad blade somkin' fast and burn your way through. i bought
friction blades, old worn blades would work about as well. I'd even
put them in backwards.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If there's any play in your smaller drill press, it may not have
enough positive feed to reliably drill stainless. While you're taking
up slack and spring, the bit is work-hardening the material.

BTW, I've never heard of the two-side differential in hardness,
either, but my limited experience in drilling 300 Series stainless is
mostly with chucked pieces of barstock, not sheet.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think it has something to do with the rolling or drawing process
they used to make sheet metal.

I won't even try 304 drilling unless its in my big drill press.
I push so hard, I've snapped small drills from the pressure
Then use oil and run slow.

One of the biggest tricks i learned is to friction saw the stuff, run
the bad blade somkin' fast and burn your way through. i bought
friction blades, old worn blades would work about as well. I'd even
put them in backwards.

Karl

Thats why they make plasma cutters G

1. Lie