Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default 304 sheet hard on one side?

So I'm fabricating some stuff out of 40 mil 304 sheet ('cause that's what
I could get from McMaster -- I know now it was a Bad Choice for doing
lots of drilling and whatnot).

Thanks to some input here, I'm doing pretty good, but I noticed that the
sheet seems to be fairly well annealed on one side, but really hard on
the other. Trying to drill 1/16" holes in the stuff, it makes an
enormous difference (like, between success and failure with a side of
broken drill bit) whether I start drilling on the "good" side or the
"bad" side.

Is this common?

http://www.wescottdesign.com