Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gluing hard foam plastic to sheet alunimium

We have made a aluminum box to fit inside a Van and want to cover it
in that white sheet plastic foam. I think the two materials are some
what smooth or greasy to the touch. Is there a good recommendation on
attaching the two materials together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I assume you are talking about Styrofoam. The high density foams
have a better R factor, they are either pink or blue, polyiso is
even better. There is a special version of liquid nails made for
foam. I have also had good results with 3M spray adhesive.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
We have made a aluminum box to fit inside a Van and want to
cover it
in that white sheet plastic foam. I think the two materials are
some
what smooth or greasy to the touch. Is there a good
recommendation on
attaching the two materials together.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 1, 1:23*pm, wrote:
We have made a aluminum box to fit inside a Van and want to cover it
in that white sheet plastic foam. *I think the two materials are some
what smooth or greasy to the touch. *Is there a good recommendation on
attaching the two materials together.

Smooth and greasy might be polyethylene foam, so you may not have much
luck with adhesives. Best approach may be to round up a variety of
materials and simply try out small samples of each. There many
sealants and adhesives in the building materials at your local borg,
so give it a try and good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
We have made a aluminum box to fit inside a Van and want to cover it
in that white sheet plastic foam. I think the two materials are some
what smooth or greasy to the touch. Is there a good recommendation on
attaching the two materials together.

Need to know what type of plastic. Polyethylene does not stick to anything.
Polystyrene will dissolve with some solvent based adhesives. Consider
mechanical fasteners like a big washer and a bolt through the aluminum.