Charlie Bress

Default Gluing slippery plastic

I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.

I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop. I don't know what kind of
plastic foam it is made of, but it is one of the closed cell slippery
plastic foams. I have not been successful finding an adhesive that works. I
expect that joining the ends will require a fusing or welding operation.

I have at my disposal a small soldering iron, a large soldering iron, a
simple glue gun and a heat gun.

What has been the experience in using the available tools to secure the
ends?
Or do you have a better idea?

The only glue I tried was a contact cement that seemed to stick, but under
the tension of the hoop trying to open just stretched apart.

Charlie

Roger Taylor

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.

I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop. I don't know what kind of
plastic foam it is made of, but it is one of the closed cell slippery
plastic foams. I have not been successful finding an adhesive that works.
I expect that joining the ends will require a fusing or welding operation.

I have at my disposal a small soldering iron, a large soldering iron, a
simple glue gun and a heat gun.

What has been the experience in using the available tools to secure the
ends?
Or do you have a better idea?

The only glue I tried was a contact cement that seemed to stick, but under
the tension of the hoop trying to open just stretched apart.

Charlie

Slippery plastic is one of the most difficult things to bind to itself.
There may be some kinds of plastic cements found in hobby shops or
hardwares, but most glues will not hold, especially if the noodles are
torqued in use.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.

I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop. I don't know what kind of
plastic foam it is made of, but it is one of the closed cell slippery
plastic foams. I have not been successful finding an adhesive that works.
I expect that joining the ends will require a fusing or welding operation.

No adhesive os going to work. You have to weld it in place. This can be
done by heating the material to the softening point and then putting the two
together. The contact adhesive you used with have to be cut off to expose
a clean end. You may have some luck heating it with an iron they quickly
putting hte two ends together. Hold of a minute and done. Alternative it
so heat a metal plate between them and pull the heated plate out.

I have at my disposal a small soldering iron, a large soldering iron, a
simple glue gun and a heat gun.

Too small, maybe, but doubtful, no good. not hot enough. Household iron
with a Teflon coated sole plate may work.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Charlie Bress

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

[...]

Ed, I like the idea of a hot metal plate. What I didn't list before was a
propane torch as I have no idea of the flammability of this stuff.
A hot piece of scrap metal might be just the ticket to get the plastic soft
enough to weld..

Thanks
Charlie

Edwin Pawlowski

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
Ed, I like the idea of a hot metal plate. What I didn't list before was a
propane torch as I have no idea of the flammability of this stuff.
A hot piece of scrap metal might be just the ticket to get the plastic
soft enough to weld..

Thanks
Charlie

Torch is OK as long as the flame does not get too close and melt the
plastic. There won't be any explosions. It will be good to heat the metal
plate though. If you got just the right temperature you could hold the flat
ends on it until it starts to melt and quickly press them together.

Duane Bozarth

Charlie Bress wrote:

I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.

I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop. I don't know what kind of
plastic foam it is made of, but it is one of the closed cell slippery
plastic foams. I have not been successful finding an adhesive that works. I
expect that joining the ends will require a fusing or welding operation.

I have at my disposal a small soldering iron, a large soldering iron, a
simple glue gun and a heat gun.

What has been the experience in using the available tools to secure the
ends?
Or do you have a better idea?

The only glue I tried was a contact cement that seemed to stick, but under
the tension of the hoop trying to open just stretched apart.

Charlie

Any reason an Al pop rivet wouldn't suffice?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Any reason an Al pop rivet wouldn't suffice?

The material (polyethylene) is very flexible and the rivet would just expand
and pull out.

Goedjn

[pool noodle]
I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop. I don't know what kind
of plastic foam it is made of, but it is one of the closed cell slippery
plastic foams. I have not been successful finding an adhesive that
works. I expect that joining the ends will require a fusing or welding
operation.

What is the intended application?

Cut a deep 'V' in one end, and a matching wedge
in the other end, and then ream a hole in the
middle of each so you can insert a pipe-insulation
"dowel". Use a GOOD rubber cement all over
the dowel and the wedges. Then, if your application
permits, stitch through the whole thing with a
thick, soft cord, and whip the outside.

You can heat a nail to red-hot and draw it
across the seams to get a fairly strong weld,
but that will leave hard crunchy bits every
where that you melt the plastic.

G Henslee

Red Cloudİ wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:12:28 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.

I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop.

Charlie

You might have better luck if you find a section of flexible tubing
that fits tightly in the hollow center,
rusty redcloud

He'd have better luck if he had a real life.
Charlie Bress

"G Henslee" wrote in message

He'd have better luck if he had a real life.

Sounds like the Alabama Henslee.
Just adds noise.

Charlie Bress

The end of the story.

Lots of ideas here, but no real solution.

While it is easy enough to melt the plastic, the fact that it is made of
lots of little bubbles so that it will float and not absorb water makes it a
task not worth pursuing.
When the plastic melts there is extreme shrinkage as the bubbles (cells)
have very thin walls and thus there is not have very much actual material to
work with. Even a soldering iron just produced big gaps as the plastic
shrunk. Using the glue gun might have worked as the glue did melt to the
plastic and adhere, but the shrinkage was too great to try and fill with hot
glue.
Since this project is just to make a beach toy, will gracefully give up.
Thanks to all.
Even you g. henslee, whatever ( I mean wherever) you are.

Charlie

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.

I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop. I don't know what kind of
plastic foam it is made of, but it is one of the closed cell slippery
plastic foams. I have not been successful finding an adhesive that works.
I expect that joining the ends will require a fusing or welding operation.

I have at my disposal a small soldering iron, a large soldering iron, a
simple glue gun and a heat gun.

What has been the experience in using the available tools to secure the
ends?
Or do you have a better idea?

The only glue I tried was a contact cement that seemed to stick, but under
the tension of the hoop trying to open just stretched apart.

Charlie

G Henslee

Charlie Bress wrote:
The end of the story.

Lots of ideas here, but no real solution.

Since this project is just to make a beach toy, will gracefully give up.
Thanks to all.
Even you g. henslee, whatever ( I mean wherever) you are.

Charlie

Awe, just yanking your chain Charlie. But geez man, they probably have
what you want for $3.99 at Wallyworld!
DJ

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:35:47 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

The end of the story.

Lots of ideas here, but no real solution.

I have not tried it specifically on a water weinie, but I'd suggest 3M
Super 77 Spray Adhesive. I have yet to find a foam it will not glue.

From the can:

"Extremely versatile, securely bonds most lightweight materials
including metal foil, plastic films, polystyrene foam, flexible foam,
fiberglass insulation, felt, cork, cardboard, etc. Not recommended for
use on vinyl materials or automotive headliners."

snip

Charlie

DJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/5/2014 6:44 PM, Diamondfitz wrote:
replying to Charlie Bress, Diamondfitz wrote:
cbress wrote:

I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.
I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop. I don't know what
kind of plastic foam it is made of, but it is one of the closed cell
slippery plastic foams. I have not been successful finding an
adhesive that works.

expect that joining the ends will require a fusing or welding operation.
I have at my disposal a small soldering iron, a large soldering iron,
a simple glue gun and a heat gun.
What has been the experience in using the available tools to secure
the ends?
Or do you have a better idea?
The only glue I tried was a contact cement that seemed to stick, but
under the tension of the hoop trying to open just stretched apart.
Charlie

duct tape!

I'd try my hot melt glue gun.
Otherwise polyethylene is difficult or practically impossible to glue.
Fusion might work but it is foam and would shrivel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cbress wrote:

I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.
I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop.

I'd try my hot melt glue gun.
Otherwise polyethylene is difficult or practically impossible to glue.
Fusion might work but it is foam and would shrivel.

Put both ends on a hot iron. When they start to melt quickly put them
together. You only get a short time and one placement so practice a
time or two before heating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cbress wrote:

I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.
I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop. I don't know what
kind of plastic foam it is made of, but it is one of the closed
cell slippery plastic foams. I have not been successful finding an
adhesive that works. I expect that joining the ends will require a
fusing or welding operation. I have at my disposal a small soldering
iron, a large soldering iron, a simple glue gun and a heat gun.
What has been the experience in using the available tools to secure
the ends?
Or do you have a better idea?
The only glue I tried was a contact cement that seemed to stick, but
under the tension of the hoop trying to open just stretched apart.
Charlie

Press the ends together firmly, then slice through the joint with a hot
(unwanted)butter knife. Hold it together for a minute to cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Charlie Bress, Glueguy wrote:
http://www.henkeladhesivesna.com/hen..._ss_082212.pdf

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...tic-66371-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try using Barge contact cement.Its used in shoe sole repair because its waterproof after curing.Ive used it myself on EVA foam and it is excellent on it.Its not forgiving ,get it put together the first time.No do overs or adjustments.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...tic-66371-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 21:45:02 +0000, Ol Red posted for all of us to digest...

Try using Barge contact cement.It¤?s used in shoe sole repair because it¤?s waterproof after curing.I¤?ve used it myself on EVA foam and it is excellent on it.It¤?s not forgiving ,get it put together the first time.No do overs or adjustments.

Gorilla glue has been in the news lately. But it's 15 years since this was
posted so I hope the OP has a new set of gummies.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ol Red" wrote in message
roupdirect.com...
Try using Barge contact cement.Its used in shoe sole repair because its
waterproof after curing.Ive used it myself on EVA foam and it is
excellent on it.Its not forgiving ,get it put together the first time.No
do overs or adjustments.

Unlikely they havent tried something or binned it after 15 years.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...tic-66371-.htm

Living in an MDF universe Paul Hays Woodworking 19 April 11th 05 01:41 PM
Gluing Plastic Storage Containers Norminn Home Repair 36 December 17th 04 02:02 AM
Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join Darren UK diy 2 October 12th 04 10:49 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 22nd 04 12:58 AM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 06:34 AM