Charlie Bress

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
I have one of those plastic "noodles" that are used for beach or pool
floats.

I want to glue the ends together to make a hoop. I don't know what kind
of plastic foam it is made of, but it is one of the closed cell slippery
plastic foams. I have not been successful finding an adhesive that
works. I expect that joining the ends will require a fusing or welding
operation.

No adhesive os going to work. You have to weld it in place. This can be
done by heating the material to the softening point and then putting the
two together. The contact adhesive you used with have to be cut off to
expose a clean end. You may have some luck heating it with an iron they
quickly putting hte two ends together. Hold of a minute and done.
Alternative it so heat a metal plate between them and pull the heated
plate out.

I have at my disposal a small soldering iron, a large soldering iron, a
simple glue gun and a heat gun.

Too small, maybe, but doubtful, no good. not hot enough. Household iron
with a Teflon coated sole plate may work.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Ed, I like the idea of a hot metal plate. What I didn't list before was a
propane torch as I have no idea of the flammability of this stuff.
A hot piece of scrap metal might be just the ticket to get the plastic soft
enough to weld..

Thanks
Charlie