Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default For your viewing pleasure, scans of vintage machinery ads and engravings

Thought I'd share some scans with those not totally engrossed in
prepping for Armageddon...

Machinery ads were scanned from the October 1953 issue of Machine and
Tool Blue Book. The engravings are from a technical book I rescued from
a yard sale free pile. It had essentially fallen apart at the binding,
but I rescued the images scanned as I love those old engravings and line
art.

https://picasaweb.google.com/janders1957/VintageMachineryAdsEngavings?authuser=0&authkey=Gv 1sRgCJTw-IKe7OThvQE&feat=directlink

Enjoy!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 10:32:10 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Thought I'd share some scans with those not totally engrossed in
prepping for Armageddon...

Machinery ads were scanned from the October 1953 issue of Machine and
Tool Blue Book. The engravings are from a technical book I rescued from
a yard sale free pile. It had essentially fallen apart at the binding,
but I rescued the images scanned as I love those old engravings and line
art.

https://picasaweb.google.com/janders1957/VintageMachineryAdsEngavings?authuser=0&authkey=Gv 1sRgCJTw-IKe7OThvQE&feat=directlink

Enjoy!

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Too bad they weren't all use and repair manuals. That would be a
goldmine of info.

Thanks for sharing. They're fun.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thought I'd share some scans with those not totally engrossed in
prepping for Armageddon...

Machinery ads were scanned from the October 1953 issue of Machine
and
Tool Blue Book.

1953 is about the average vintage of the machine tools in my shop. The
newest is a 1965 South Bend. The lever-operated bench mills may be WW1
veterans and one Jacobs chuck is stamped 1902. Even my Eclipse Rocket
lawnmower is from the mid 1950's.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message ...
Thought I'd share some scans with those not totally engrossed in
prepping for Armageddon...

Machinery ads were scanned from the October 1953 issue of Machine and
Tool Blue Book. The engravings are from a technical book I rescued from
a yard sale free pile. It had essentially fallen apart at the binding,
but I rescued the images scanned as I love those old engravings and line
art.

https://picasaweb.google.com/janders1957/VintageMachineryAdsEngavings?authuser=0&authkey=Gv 1sRgCJTw-IKe7OThvQE&feat=directlink

Enjoy!

Jon

That Wade lathe was one of my very first machinery purchases; I made tons of money moonlighting with it in my garage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

?
??https://picasaweb.google.com/janders...at=directlink?
?
?Enjoy!

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Too bad they weren't all use and repair manuals. That would be a
goldmine of info.

Thanks for sharing. They're fun.

You got enough steam to run it? ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 13:00:00 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

What? That desk model wouldn't work? Darn...

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Support the 2nd Amendment
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-06, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

Isn't the planet itself the gyroscope?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8 Mar 2013 02:54:21 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-03-06, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

Isn't the planet itself the gyroscope?

Um, a 24 hour period is a mighty slow rate.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Support the 2nd Amendment
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-06, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

Isn't the planet itself the gyroscope?

Um, a 24 hour period is a mighty slow rate.

The larger the diameter, the slower the appropriate RPM.

Anybody feel like calculating the maximum safe speed for a wheel
made of granite with a diameter of 8000 miles. Don't bother with the
fact that it is a sphere, nor all the things of lower tensile strength.
Just assume say 1000 miles rim wide, and say 1000 miles deep, and ignore
the strength of the web to the hub. This should give an idea what the
maximum RPM before failure would be. Figure to operate it at about half
that.

Hmmm ... is there a collection of calculations for the belt
world which appeared in a few science fiction books? IIRC, that was
rather well calculated out. The diameter was a lot larger, but this
could give a starting point.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Hmmm ... is there a collection of calculations for the belt
world which appeared in a few science fiction books? IIRC, that was
rather well calculated out. The diameter was a lot larger, but this
could give a starting point.

The structural ring of Ringworld was made out of
scrith, not granite. If you're going to do
outrageous designs it helps if you can make up
your materials as you go along.

Ringworld Engineering...
http://larryniven.wikia.com/wiki/Ringworld#Scrith

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-06, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

Isn't the planet itself the gyroscope?

Um, a 24 hour period is a mighty slow rate.

The larger the diameter, the slower the appropriate RPM.

True. What's our speed on Earth? Something like 1,200 MPH
rotationally? I don't know what it is in the solar system.
http://physics.tutorvista.com/motion...nal-speed.html
Oh, 1,673 MPH at the equator. And 108,000kph around the sun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_orbit
And 220kps through the galaxy. We's _MOVIN_!
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...2064050AAWQ5az

Anybody feel like calculating the maximum safe speed for a wheel
made of granite with a diameter of 8000 miles. Don't bother with the
fact that it is a sphere, nor all the things of lower tensile strength.
Just assume say 1000 miles rim wide, and say 1000 miles deep, and ignore
the strength of the web to the hub. This should give an idea what the
maximum RPM before failure would be. Figure to operate it at about half
that.

No, much, much less. That speed would likely take a foot off your
tool in a split second...if you could handle the winds at the edge.
g You're worried about the stone, I'm worried about the edge of my
poor tool!

Hmmm ... is there a collection of calculations for the belt
world which appeared in a few science fiction books? IIRC, that was
rather well calculated out. The diameter was a lot larger, but this
could give a starting point.

GREAT series, excellent author. Larry Niven's _Ringworld_. I don't
recall the speeds or if he stated them.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Support the 2nd Amendment
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/8/2013 10:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 9 Mar 2013 00:02:39 GMT, "DoN.

On 2013-03-08, Larry wrote:
On 8 Mar 2013 02:54:21 GMT, "DoN.
wrote:

On 2013-03-06, Jon wrote:
[...]

It didn't spin very fast.
IIRC, Ringworld diameter was approximately the size of earth's orbit
(1 AU), and maintained close to 1 G on the surface.

Rate of spin was left as an exercise for the student...

Only enough
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thought I'd share some scans with those not totally engrossed in
prepping for Armageddon...

Machinery ads were scanned from the October 1953 issue of Machine and
Tool Blue Book. The engravings are from a technical book I rescued from
a yard sale free pile. It had essentially fallen apart at the binding,
but I rescued the images scanned as I love those old engravings and line
art.

https://picasaweb.google.com/janders1957/VintageMachineryAdsEngavings?authuser=0&authkey=Gv 1sRgCJTw-IKe7OThvQE&feat=directlink

Enjoy!

Jon

Many many thanks Jon! Some marvelous ads and photos.

Im rather amused by how many of those machines that I currently or
previously owned..or have worked on.

Bookmarked!!

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-06, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

Isn't the planet itself the gyroscope?

Um, a 24 hour period is a mighty slow rate.

Its just a matter of scale. What...86,400 seconds is too slow for
you?

Thats 1 rpd....but its a bit more than 1000 mph. And it goes around
the sun at 67,000 mph

Course that too is only 1 rpy. Shrug

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/10/2013 1:35 AM, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 20:05:11 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 8 Mar 2013 02:54:21 GMT, "DoN.

On 2013-03-06, Jon wrote:
On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

Isn't the planet itself the gyroscope?

Um, a 24 hour period is a mighty slow rate.

Its just a matter of scale. What...86,400 seconds is too slow for
you?

Thats 1 rpd....but its a bit more than 1000 mph. And it goes around
the sun at 67,000 mph

Course that too is only 1 rpy. Shrug

Gunner

I guess you shot this off before you saw my post?

Surface speed for 1 g at 1AU is not 1 RPY.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-06, Jon wrote:
On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.
Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...
Isn't the planet itself the gyroscope?
Um, a 24 hour period is a mighty slow rate.

Its just a matter of scale. What...86,400 seconds is too slow for
you?
Thats 1 rpd....but its a bit more than 1000 mph. And it goes around
the sun at 67,000 mph

Course that too is only 1 rpy. Shrug

I guess you shot this off before you saw my post?

Surface speed for 1 g at 1AU is not 1 RPY.

Right, more like 40 RPY. If you put radius = 150000000 km (or about 93
M miles) at http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/newtonian/centrifugal
and angular speed = 0.000077 RPM (which is .11 rotations/day, or 40.5
per year) then centrifugal acceleration shows up as 0.9945 g's.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld#Plot_summary
Ringworld has "artificial gravity that is 99.2% as strong as Earth's
gravity through the action of centripetal force".

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/10/2013 1:35 AM, Gunner wrote:
On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 20:05:11 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 8 Mar 2013 02:54:21 GMT, "DoN.

On 2013-03-06, Jon wrote:
On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

Isn't the planet itself the gyroscope?

Um, a 24 hour period is a mighty slow rate.

Its just a matter of scale. What...86,400 seconds is too slow for
you?

Thats 1 rpd....but its a bit more than 1000 mph. And it goes around
the sun at 67,000 mph

Course that too is only 1 rpy. Shrug

Gunner

I guess you shot this off before you saw my post?

Of course.

Surface speed for 1 g at 1AU is not 1 RPY.

Of course its not.
And?

Gunner

1. Lie

[...]