Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default For your viewing pleasure, scans of vintage machinery ads andengravings

On 3/8/2013 10:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 9 Mar 2013 00:02:39 GMT, "DoN.

On 2013-03-08, Larry wrote:
On 8 Mar 2013 02:54:21 GMT, "DoN.

On 2013-03-06, Jon wrote:
On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

Isn't the planet itself the gyroscope?

Um, a 24 hour period is a mighty slow rate.

The larger the diameter, the slower the appropriate RPM.

True. What's our speed on Earth? Something like 1,200 MPH
rotationally? I don't know what it is in the solar system.
http://physics.tutorvista.com/motion...nal-speed.html
Oh, 1,673 MPH at the equator. And 108,000kph around the sun.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_orbit
And 220kps through the galaxy. We's _MOVIN_!
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...2064050AAWQ5az

Anybody feel like calculating the maximum safe speed for a wheel
made of granite with a diameter of 8000 miles. Don't bother with the
fact that it is a sphere, nor all the things of lower tensile strength.
Just assume say 1000 miles rim wide, and say 1000 miles deep, and ignore
the strength of the web to the hub. This should give an idea what the
maximum RPM before failure would be. Figure to operate it at about half
that.

No, much, much less. That speed would likely take a foot off your
tool in a split second...if you could handle the winds at the edge.
g You're worried about the stone, I'm worried about the edge of my
poor tool!

Hmmm ... is there a collection of calculations for the belt
world which appeared in a few science fiction books? IIRC, that was
rather well calculated out. The diameter was a lot larger, but this
could give a starting point.

GREAT series, excellent author. Larry Niven's _Ringworld_. I don't
recall the speeds or if he stated them.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.

It didn't spin very fast.
IIRC, Ringworld diameter was approximately the size of earth's orbit
(1 AU), and maintained close to 1 G on the surface.

Rate of spin was left as an exercise for the student...

Only enough