Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default For your viewing pleasure, scans of vintage machinery ads and engravings

On 2013-03-08, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 8 Mar 2013 02:54:21 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-03-06, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 3/6/2013 12:37 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Wow! I gotta get me wunna them steam gyroscopes!
Maybe it'll keep the planet from losing its tilt.

Going to need a friggin big gyroscope for that task...

Isn't the planet itself the gyroscope?

Um, a 24 hour period is a mighty slow rate.

The larger the diameter, the slower the appropriate RPM.

Anybody feel like calculating the maximum safe speed for a wheel
made of granite with a diameter of 8000 miles. Don't bother with the
fact that it is a sphere, nor all the things of lower tensile strength.
Just assume say 1000 miles rim wide, and say 1000 miles deep, and ignore
the strength of the web to the hub. This should give an idea what the
maximum RPM before failure would be. Figure to operate it at about half
that.

Hmmm ... is there a collection of calculations for the belt
world which appeared in a few science fiction books? IIRC, that was
rather well calculated out. The diameter was a lot larger, but this
could give a starting point.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564