Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Out of production small gears???

I've a couple old B&D belt sanders that are my favorites for balance,
weight, size, etc., etc., etc., ... At the moment there seem to be none
in production w/ 3x24 that have similar physical dimensions--I have a
Makita but it turns out to have 3" rollers on the 4" body so it's
excessively bulky and similar issues plague every other current model
I've been able to find.

Preamble out of the way, what's wrong w/ these is that the drive gear on
the end of the motor rotor and it's matching gear wear to the point they
slip and then it's done for. There are no spare parts available (these
went of of production in the late '70s/early '80s).

So question is, does anybody know of anywhere one might affordably be
able to have some replacement gears made?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

I doubt getting one made custom would be affordable for this purpose. Try to
find the equivalent gear in one of the several online catalogs. Here are a

http://www.pic-design.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
I've a couple old B&D belt sanders that are my favorites for balance,
weight, size, etc., etc., etc., ... At the moment there seem to be none
in production w/ 3x24 that have similar physical dimensions--I have a
Makita but it turns out to have 3" rollers on the 4" body so it's
excessively bulky and similar issues plague every other current model I've
been able to find.

Preamble out of the way, what's wrong w/ these is that the drive gear on
the end of the motor rotor and it's matching gear wear to the point they
slip and then it's done for. There are no spare parts available (these
went of of production in the late '70s/early '80s).

So question is, does anybody know of anywhere one might affordably be able
to have some replacement gears made?

--

Proly not easily.
If you could make the blank (bore, hub, etc), and bring that to a guy with

You could also try boston gear, rushgear, cupla others to see if you could
modify the arbor of a std gear or sumpn.

Old B&D tools are nice stuff. Some older Bosch stuff are classics, as well.
Can you find that tool on ebay et al, scavenge one for parts?

Mebbe ole Ig can find sumpn sumpn for you, and then charge you up the ass
for it.....
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I haven't seen any power tools where the geared end of an armature was
replaceable (where the motor axis was parallel to the output shaft).

Angle grinders and similar right-angle oriented motors often do have
replaceable armature gears.. circular saws and similar generally don't, IME.
If that wasn't what you were implying, I misinterpreted your description.

One source for old power tool parts was Sears.. the tool didn't need to be a
Sears/Craftsman brand tool, but since Sears wasn't a manufacturer, they
relied on major tool manufacturers to produce the Sears tools with the Sears
name on them.

So, if B&D (for example) made a model like yours for Sears, Sears may still
have the parts.. if you can do the required research to locate the correct
Sears/Craftsman model number.

The other gears in the drivetrain were probably very limited in production
and finding replacements would likely be a matter of luck and ingenuity as
far as finding something that can be adapted (something that fits but the
center hole size too big or small, adapting as required).
I've seen a variety of gears in power tools made from from plastic, zinc
diecast, phenolic, steel with polished center holes and hardened teeth, etc.
Fabricating combination gears consisting of 2 differently sized gears
siamesed together present a more complex problem.

--
WB

"dpb" wrote in message ...
I've a couple old B&D belt sanders that are my favorites for balance,
weight, size, etc., etc., etc., ... At the moment there seem to be none
in production w/ 3x24 that have similar physical dimensions--I have a
Makita but it turns out to have 3" rollers on the 4" body so it's
excessively bulky and similar issues plague every other current model I've
been able to find.

Preamble out of the way, what's wrong w/ these is that the drive gear on
the end of the motor rotor and it's matching gear wear to the point they
slip and then it's done for. There are no spare parts available (these
went of of production in the late '70s/early '80s).

So question is, does anybody know of anywhere one might affordably be able
to have some replacement gears made?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

I've used these guys in the past & been very happy with them.
http://www.wmberg.com/
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 14:08:08 -0600, dpb wrote:

I've a couple old B&D belt sanders that are my favorites for balance,
weight, size, etc., etc., etc., ... At the moment there seem to be none
in production w/ 3x24 that have similar physical dimensions--I have a
Makita but it turns out to have 3" rollers on the 4" body so it's
excessively bulky and similar issues plague every other current model
I've been able to find.

Preamble out of the way, what's wrong w/ these is that the drive gear on
the end of the motor rotor and it's matching gear wear to the point they
slip and then it's done for. There are no spare parts available (these
went of of production in the late '70s/early '80s).

So question is, does anybody know of anywhere one might affordably be
able to have some replacement gears made?

So what do these gears look like? Got any pictures? Are they a right
angle gear set? We need more info.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 4, 1:08*pm, dpb wrote:
I've a couple old B&D belt sanders that are my favorites for balance,
weight, size, etc., etc., etc., ... *At the moment there seem to be none
in production w/ 3x24 that have similar physical dimensions--I have a
Makita but it turns out to have 3" rollers on the 4" body so it's
excessively bulky and similar issues plague every other current model
I've been able to find.

Preamble out of the way, what's wrong w/ these is that the drive gear on
the end of the motor rotor and it's matching gear wear to the point they
slip and then it's done for. *There are no spare parts available (these
went of of production in the late '70s/early '80s).

So question is, does anybody know of anywhere one might affordably be
able to have some replacement gears made?

--

What KIND of gear makes a difference. Spur gears are fairly easy to
gash out and get to work at home. Worm and mate, can be done, bevels,

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/4/2013 3:10 PM, Artemus wrote:
wrote in message
m...

wrote in message ...
[...]

OK, thanks for the links...I'll do some looking and see what can find.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/4/2013 3:36 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 14:08:08 -0600, wrote:

I've a couple old B&D belt sanders that are my favorites for balance,
weight, size, etc., etc., etc., ... At the moment there seem to be none
in production w/ 3x24 that have similar physical dimensions--I have a
Makita but it turns out to have 3" rollers on the 4" body so it's
excessively bulky and similar issues plague every other current model
I've been able to find.

Preamble out of the way, what's wrong w/ these is that the drive gear on
the end of the motor rotor and it's matching gear wear to the point they
slip and then it's done for. There are no spare parts available (these
went of of production in the late '70s/early '80s).

So question is, does anybody know of anywhere one might affordably be
able to have some replacement gears made?

So what do these gears look like? Got any pictures? Are they a right
angle gear set? We need more info.

I'll have to put that together...not right angle, though.

The killer is probably as somebody earlier noted that the end of the
armature shaft drive is, unfortunately, also worn badly--it had been
some time since I had looked at the puppy and was thinking it was the
driven gear that was the problem when I thought of asking about it 'cuz
I had just come in from (another) frustrating session w/ the clunky
Makita and was wishing had the old B&D -- or that somebody built a
current one that had the physical characteristics of it, but there just
is nothing on the market that does.

I laid the counter-gear down somewhere; it wasn't with the other pieces
so I'll have to scrounge around and get the set together before
reposting. Altho, as noted, the armature is probably not anything can
do anything about--it was always the weak point in the design as I now
am recalling and probably why B&D ceased production and why there's
nothing of the like design around--not much of any other way to fit it
all in there besides what they did...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
On 3/4/2013 3:36 PM, wrote:
[...]

That would actually be a good thing if the armature is wore as well.
Gives you a couple options. 1 try to find all the original style gears
to replace the old ones and weld up and machine the armature teeth to
match. OR find new gears that fit in place of the originals regardless
of the teeth, then weld up and machine the armature to fit those teeth.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 12:36:06 -0600
dpb wrote:

big snip
I laid the counter-gear down somewhere; it wasn't with the other pieces
so I'll have to scrounge around and get the set together before
reposting. Altho, as noted, the armature is probably not anything can
do anything about--it was always the weak point in the design as I now
am recalling and probably why B&D ceased production and why there's
nothing of the like design around--not much of any other way to fit it
all in there besides what they did...

This place seems to have a lot of B&D sander part schematics:

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/sander-...nufacturer=113

Maybe you can spot yours there...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/6/2013 1:55 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

This place seems to have a lot of B&D sander part schematics:

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/sander-...nufacturer=113

Maybe you can spot yours there...

Yeah, it's there (as at several other sites) but all the relevant parts
are "obsolete, no replacement" ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:37:01 -0600
dpb wrote:

On 3/6/2013 1:55 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

This place seems to have a lot of B&D sander part schematics:

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/sander-...nufacturer=113

Maybe you can spot yours there...

Yeah, it's there (as at several other sites) but all the relevant parts
are "obsolete, no replacement" ...

--

I suspected as much, considering I didn't have to try very hard to find
that info...

Just out of curiosity, which model do you have?

I have a Porter-Cable 352VS (I think) which I've been happy with. Built
like a tank, weighs something like 15 pounds. Bought it ~10 years ago
and so far it has taken all the abuse I could throw at it. It has a
bearing that likes to object, scream at times but so far I just ignore
it. Shouldn't be hard to fix if it really starts bothering me.
Everything else I looked at back then that cost less than say ~$160
didn't look like it would last long enough to wear out even one sanding
belt...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

On 3/6/2013 1:55 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

Yeah, it's there (as at several other sites) but all the relevant parts
are "obsolete, no replacement" ...

I suspected as much, considering I didn't have to try very hard to find
that info...

Just out of curiosity, which model do you have?

I have a Porter-Cable 352VS (I think) which I've been happy with. Built
like a tank, weighs something like 15 pounds. Bought it ~10 years ago
and so far it has taken all the abuse I could throw at it. It has a
bearing that likes to object, scream at times but so far I just ignore
it. Shouldn't be hard to fix if it really starts bothering me.
Everything else I looked at back then that cost less than say ~$160
didn't look like it would last long enough to wear out even one sanding
belt...

It's the 7450 3x24.

While it's plastic case, they were very rugged w/ the exception of the
rotor-end drive gear and the one counter gear that meshes w/ it. The
drive gear was/is so small it was inevitable unless it had been
fabricated from an extremely hard alloy. Even as was, I would get many
years from one before it failed and have rebuilt these each once or
maybe twice. I never thought ahead to order/stockpile a supply of parts
never dreaming they would quit producing a similar tool entirely even if
parts for these did become unobtainable...

The advantages of these that I like are multiple -- the most significant
of which are that first, they are quite light, and second, the placement
of the motor between the two rollers results in the weight being almost
all directly over the belt resulting in the best balanced belt sander
I've ever hefted (and that's been quite a number over 40+ years). That
balance means it is much easier to keep from either gouging or wearing
troughs into a workpiece, the bane of belt sanders in general.

In addition, the overall size is quite compact, especially the height
which allows it in places that many can't get to at all, what more be
able to control easily.

They may not be what you want if you're using one as a substitute for a
hand planer hogging off huge quantities of material but for prep work on
large panels and relatively rapid material removal but w/ some finesse
they couldn't be beat.

As noted earlier, I have a Makita (don't recall the model) that is also
a between rollers design and while it is compact in size, they built the
3" model by simply putting 3"-long rollers on a 4" sander body (and
didn't even move the mounting over on the shaft to center but the belt
runs at the near side in the same location as a 4") so the balance is
terrible. Plus, it has a very awkward switch, particularly since I'm
left-handed (it's virtually impossible to engage the trigger lock w/
left hand on handle) and there's something about the way the cord is
attached that makes it eternally always _exactly_ in the way and getting
under the belt when on the rearward stroke...

The P-C's in general are klunky w/ the top dust collection or side drive
and as yours exceedingly heavy. Most other have similar problems...

The one thing I've not tried is the 3-wheel little B&D 3x21 -- it looks
like might be reasonable from weight, balance, etc., but I've an
unlimited supply of 3x24 belts and it's 21... Just like I've years'
worth of 5-hole sanding discs and now they've gone to 8-hole pads (or
more) universally--getting hard to even find the replacement 5-hole ones
as parts...

Anyway, far more than you cared about, I'm sure...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 13:15:19 -0600
dpb wrote:

snip
It's the 7450 3x24.

While it's plastic case, they were very rugged w/ the exception of the
rotor-end drive gear and the one counter gear that meshes w/ it. The
drive gear was/is so small it was inevitable unless it had been
fabricated from an extremely hard alloy. Even as was, I would get many
years from one before it failed and have rebuilt these each once or
maybe twice. I never thought ahead to order/stockpile a supply of parts
never dreaming they would quit producing a similar tool entirely even if
parts for these did become unobtainable...

Okay, just an off the wall idea... Hard to tell by looking at the parts
diagram but could you maybe replace the bad gears with a belt and
pulleys? Pulleys would be a lot easier to make/source.

The advantages of these that I like are multiple -- the most significant
of which are that first, they are quite light, and second, the placement
of the motor between the two rollers results in the weight being almost
all directly over the belt resulting in the best balanced belt sander
I've ever hefted (and that's been quite a number over 40+ years). That
balance means it is much easier to keep from either gouging or wearing
troughs into a workpiece, the bane of belt sanders in general.

I've spent numerous hours hefting my monster, usually sideways to
remove paint from house siding. Took the bag off and added a ~12 inch
piece of clear plastic hose to the dust collection pipe. I'm working
outside and paint doesn't collect well anyway, especially when it is
held sideways. As long as it (dust) is going somewhere other than my
face I'm okay with it.

As far as gouging that seemed to have more to do with experience than
anything else. I use a 36 grit belt mostly and they can be unforgiving
if your mind wanders for a sec. Kinda developed a feel for it though,
like riding a bicycle. Takes a bit of learning and then your good to go.

In addition, the overall size is quite compact, especially the height
which allows it in places that many can't get to at all, what more be
able to control easily.

I won't argue size/height that's for sure. Looks like one of the
"B&D Dragster" models might work for you other than the 8x21 belt and
cheaply made. Could be useful though if you only used it when you
needed to get into tight spots...

snip

The P-C's in general are klunky w/ the top dust collection or side drive
and as yours exceedingly heavy. Most other have similar problems...

I just accept the weight, figured I could have an extra beer or two
afterwards ;-) It isn't a problem at all horizontally, really kicks
butt! Showed it to a friend that does similar work/projects and He said
"That's not a sander, that's a grinder."

Anyway, far more than you cared about, I'm sure...

Well, I better understand your situation now

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

snip
It's the 7450 3x24.

While it's plastic case, they were very rugged w/ the exception of the
rotor-end drive gear and the one counter gear that meshes w/ it. The
drive gear was/is so small it was inevitable unless it had been
fabricated from an extremely hard alloy. ...

Okay, just an off the wall idea... Hard to tell by looking at the parts
diagram but could you maybe replace the bad gears with a belt and
pulleys? Pulleys would be a lot easier to make/source.

The thought I had kinda' altho hadn't delved into how likely to find
right sizes would be was akin--but I thought if could find one toothed
belt to simply go around the existing drive teeth and the matching
counter gear would have the same gear ratios automagically...just not
care that these teeth don't mesh tightly enough any longer as long as
there's enough tooth to catch the belt, who cares?

I've spent numerous hours hefting my monster, usually sideways to
remove paint from house siding. Took the bag off and added a ~12 inch
piece of clear plastic hose to the dust collection pipe. I'm working
outside and paint doesn't collect well anyway, especially when it is
held sideways. As long as it (dust) is going somewhere other than my
face I'm okay with it.

As far as gouging that seemed to have more to do with experience than
anything else. I use a 36 grit belt mostly and they can be unforgiving
if your mind wanders for a sec. Kinda developed a feel for it though,
like riding a bicycle. Takes a bit of learning and then your good to go.

Indeed don't disagree--it's just less effort if the sucker is balanced
to start with. I'm mostly furniture and architectural woodwork, not the
rough stuff so the weight/size is a disadvantage generally. If I'm
taking of large amounts there's a sharp hand plane for that...

We did use about a dozen of the little PC 5" orbitals into the ground
prepping the barn for paint--it is 3" cove T&G so couldn't get anything
larger in there...that was a lot of effort on a 38x66x15 to bottom
eaves, 42' to ridge line from ground for the end walls...

In addition, the overall size is quite compact, especially the height
which allows it in places that many can't get to at all, what more be
able to control easily.

I won't argue size/height that's for sure. Looks like one of the
"B&D Dragster" models might work for you other than the 8x21 belt and
cheaply made. Could be useful though if you only used it when you
needed to get into tight spots...

I've thought about it several times but recently I've just foregone
sanding almost entirely (on new work anyway) just plane and scraper...I
was cleaning up some old washstands from the farm house basement when
was wishing had the B&D again while cussin' the Makita...

snip

The P-C's in general are klunky w/ the top dust collection or side drive
and as yours exceedingly heavy. Most other have similar problems...

I just accept the weight, figured I could have an extra beer or two
afterwards ;-) It isn't a problem at all horizontally, really kicks
butt! Showed it to a friend that does similar work/projects and He said
"That's not a sander, that's a grinder."

Indeed, and for a given class of problems, they're fine--that's just
generally not my usage.

Anyway, far more than you cared about, I'm sure...

Well, I better understand your situation now

Ayup....thanks for trying the link, anyways--ya' just never know when it
may be something the other guy hasn't seen before and is just the ticket.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 14:43:46 -0600, dpb wrote:
[...]

A simple belt drive (straight, not crossed) would run the sandpaper the
opposite direction to the gear drive, unless the motor's reversible.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby fired this volley in news:khc4rs$alg$1
@dont-email.me:

A simple belt drive (straight, not crossed) would run the sandpaper the
opposite direction to the gear drive, unless the motor's reversible.

I didn't see the beginning of this, so I don't know which sander you're
talking about.

Most belt sanders have universal motors, and technically they're
reversible, although sometimes the brush holders are mounted to favor one
or the other direction.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/8/2013 1:43 AM, James Waldby wrote:

A simple belt drive (straight, not crossed) would run the sandpaper the
opposite direction to the gear drive, unless the motor's reversible.

Not to mention that it can't work as I said anyway (slap forehead moment
occurred not long after posting) since the meshing gears are in same
place of where a belt would be trying to run...

I should just toss the both of 'em out but it's painful decision when
all that's wrong is so simple.

I found the other parts and checked...both the rotor shaft gear and the
mating counter gear are worn very badly and the wear on the counter gear
has had bad effects on its neighbor as well--more than I had remembered.

I'll measure and look thru the catalogs kind folks posted links to and
see if there's anything can find that would fit but would still leave me
w/ the rotor--I suppose if could find it could turn it back to clean
shaft and mount one on it but I'm thinking this is a lost cause.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

You could search for "pinion shaft". I seem to have my cookie privacy
set too high to show you an example.
http://www.wmberg.com/products/Pinion-Shafts.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 14:43:46 -0600
dpb wrote:

snip
The thought I had kinda' altho hadn't delved into how likely to find
right sizes would be was akin--but I thought if could find one toothed
belt to simply go around the existing drive teeth and the matching
counter gear would have the same gear ratios automagically...just not
care that these teeth don't mesh tightly enough any longer as long as
there's enough tooth to catch the belt, who cares?

As mentioned by James, I hadn't thought about the motor needing to be
reversed, obvious once pointed out, duh! I was thinking of just
slipping a small pulley on the motor shaft and then seeing how much
room was left. Then figure out how big a pulley could fit in place of
the other, larger gear. It would speed the sanding belt up some
(changed ratio) but I don't think it would be a problem. A lot of work,
but I've spent my share of time fixing stuff I really liked because the
replacement for it wasn't worthy...
snip

If I'm taking off large amounts there's a sharp hand plane for that...

After trying different sharp items for stripping old paint I gave it
up. Paint is really abrasive, kinda like scraping fine sandpaper.
That's why I finally went with the belt sander and really coarse belt.

We did use about a dozen of the little PC 5" orbitals into the ground
prepping the barn for paint--it is 3" cove T&G so couldn't get anything
larger in there...that was a lot of effort on a 38x66x15 to bottom
eaves, 42' to ridge line from ground for the end walls...

Ugh! I tried using a 4.5 inch right angle grinder with a variable speed
router box and type 29 flap wheel. No good, gets hot too fast (the flap
wheel) and then the old paint sticks/bonds to it and the flap wheel is
shot...

I ran the variable speed on my belt sander around midway. Would have
ran it even slower but you lose cooling air (for the motor) when
you slow it down too. Should make my own mechanical speed reduction I
guess ;-)

Well it sounds like you have storage room, so I wouldn't throw them out
just yet. Keep thinking it over, search the web every so often for
parts, watch Craig's list... you never know what might pop up.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/8/2013 8:38 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

You could search for "pinion shaft". I seem to have my cookie privacy
set too high to show you an example.
http://www.wmberg.com/products/Pinion-Shafts.aspx

Yeah altho don't know how I'd manage to graft one of 'em onto the
armature shaft in place of the bad one...

Got me wonderin' if there's a generic supply of armatures out there
somewhere--a couple of spare parts manufacturers showed in a (very)
quick DAGS--mayhaps some more digging on that end might find something
of same/similar-enough dimensions, who knows???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*wrote:

[...]

There's a B&D belt sander presently on eBay. It's a U-144 model. I
think that it is the same model as the 7450, but with the earlier
designation. I believe that B&D changed their model number system in
the 70s.