Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby[_3_] James Waldby[_3_] is offline

Default Out of production small gears???

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 14:43:46 -0600, dpb wrote:
On 3/7/2013 2:05 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 13:15:19 -0600 dpb wrote:
snip
It's the 7450 3x24.

While it's plastic case, they were very rugged w/ the exception of the
rotor-end drive gear and the one counter gear that meshes w/ it. The
drive gear was/is so small it was inevitable unless it had been
fabricated from an extremely hard alloy. ...

Okay, just an off the wall idea... Hard to tell by looking at the parts
diagram but could you maybe replace the bad gears with a belt and
pulleys? Pulleys would be a lot easier to make/source.

The thought I had kinda' altho hadn't delved into how likely to find
right sizes would be was akin--but I thought if could find one toothed
belt to simply go around the existing drive teeth and the matching
counter gear would have the same gear ratios automagically...just not
care that these teeth don't mesh tightly enough any longer as long as
there's enough tooth to catch the belt, who cares?

A simple belt drive (straight, not crossed) would run the sandpaper the
opposite direction to the gear drive, unless the motor's reversible.

--
jiw