Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Out of production small gears???

On 3/4/2013 3:10 PM, Artemus wrote:
wrote in message
m...

wrote in message ...
I've a couple old B&D belt sanders that are my favorites for balance, weight,
size, etc., etc., etc., ... At the moment there seem to be none in production w/
3x24 that have similar physical dimensions--I have a Makita but it turns out to
have 3" rollers on the 4" body so it's excessively bulky and similar issues plague
every other current model I've been able to find.

Preamble out of the way, what's wrong w/ these is that the drive gear on the end
of the motor rotor and it's matching gear wear to the point they slip and then
it's done for. There are no spare parts available (these went of of production in
the late '70s/early '80s).

So question is, does anybody know of anywhere one might affordably be able to have
some replacement gears made?

--

I doubt getting one made custom would be affordable for this purpose. Try to find
the equivalent gear in one of the several online catalogs. Here are a couple of the

http://www.pic-design.com/

I've used these guys in the past& been very happy with them.
http://www.wmberg.com/
Art

OK, thanks for the links...I'll do some looking and see what can find.