Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for female Taper 40

I need to build my own tool Pre setter. Can't afford the real thing.

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an old
T40 spindle?

Alternatively, can anybody grind a T40 ID?

Otherwise, I'm cutting one on my lathe and lapping in with old tool
holders, don't sound like fun.

Karl

P.S. I'm sorry about asking how to cut metal again. twice in one week.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I need to build my own tool Pre setter. Can't afford the real thing.

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an old
T40 spindle?

Alternatively, can anybody grind a T40 ID?

Otherwise, I'm cutting one on my lathe and lapping in with old tool
holders, don't sound like fun.

Karl

P.S. I'm sorry about asking how to cut metal again. twice in one week.

Did you miss your 'Metal Working Anonymous" meeting again?

"Hello, my name is Karl and I'm addicted to making swarf." ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 07:17:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

I need to build my own tool Pre setter. Can't afford the real thing.

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an old
T40 spindle?

Alternatively, can anybody grind a T40 ID?

Otherwise, I'm cutting one on my lathe and lapping in with old tool
holders, don't sound like fun.

Karl

P.S. I'm sorry about asking how to cut metal again. twice in one week.

Did you miss your 'Metal Working Anonymous" meeting again?

"Hello, my name is Karl and I'm addicted to making swarf." ;-)

Na, its just my little dig on how little is dedicated to metalworking
here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:06:13 AM UTC-5, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to build my own tool Pre setter. Can't afford the real thing.

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an old

T40 spindle?

Alternatively, can anybody grind a T40 ID?

Otherwise, I'm cutting one on my lathe and lapping in with old tool

holders, don't sound like fun.

Karl

P.S. I'm sorry about asking how to cut metal again. twice in one week.

Hello,

A simple CAT 40 Vise might suffice?

There are several brands and types for holding CAT taper tooling when off the machine.

They are used to tighten tools in CAT 40 holders. I have a cast iron one that I mounted on a bench near the mill.

CAT 40 tapers drop into it so you can, say, unscrew or tighten an ER collet nut. One I've got came with a tooling package of CAT 40 EM holders. Look around at the CAT 40 storage-cart type accessories too.

Good luck
--
PaulS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message ...
I need to build my own tool Pre setter. Can't afford the real thing.

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an old
T40 spindle?

You only need about a 2in thick piece of steel, turn the taper on a lathe using your compound feed--leave a recessed area in the center ( to minimize the total amount of lapping needed ) and then then lap /test fit using an old toolholder. A narrow pair of lapped areas about 1/4 should suffice.

Alternately, use a cnc mill and a ball end mill....

Finally, bolt it onto an appx 4x8 flat plate such that that the taper shank extends through a hole in your setup bench.

You'll probably want to designate one of your toolholders as a "standard"....this is a perfect re-use for a damaged holder if you happen to have one kicking around...put it in the spindle and depth mike from it's flange to your spindle face...now, anytime you put this holder into your stand, double check to be sure you get the same reading on your height gage as you did to the spindle face...

Ideally, you would leave a little excess on your taper fixture and carefully face it off just after you finish lapping, testing with the the "standard" the goal being to get both the same which ultimately allow you to simply zero your height gage onto your fixture face.

Alternatively, can anybody grind a T40 ID?

Otherwise, I'm cutting one on my lathe and lapping in with old tool
holders, don't sound like fun.

Karl

P.S. I'm sorry about asking how to cut metal again. twice in one week.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-02-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to build my own tool Pre setter. Can't afford the real thing.

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an old
T40 spindle?

Which 40 taper? If it is the NTMB 40, you can gauge off the
back of the flange, so just machine something with enough bore to accept
the taper, and a pair of projecting lugs to orient it (probably not
necessary for measuring -- but nice for wrenching on the collet noses).

Make it of hex stock, so you can grip it in a milling vise for
the wrenching.

If it is a CAT-40 or one of the other automated tool changer
styles, it may not have as precise a surface location on the back of
that grooved flange, so you may need the taper to be right.

Alternatively, can anybody grind a T40 ID?

You have a lathe -- right?

Is it big enough to have the compound travel long enough to cut
the taper in one pass?

If so -- get (borrow?) a toolpost grinder, turn the taper close
and then mount the toolpost grinder (and carefully protect all of the
lathe's precision surfaces), and finish grind it with that.

Otherwise, I'm cutting one on my lathe and lapping in with old tool
holders, don't sound like fun.

Rough cut on your lathe, and use a toolpost grinder as above.

You could for a one-time job like this, make a mount for your
toolpost to mount an air driven hand grinder and use that as the
toolpost grinder. It will use a lot more electricity running the air
compressor, but it will probably still cost less. You'll need a diamond
for truing the stone in the grinder before you do the work.

Karl

P.S. I'm sorry about asking how to cut metal again. twice in one week.

I think that I'll forgive you. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A simple CAT 40 Vise might suffice?

There are several brands and types for holding CAT taper tooling when off the machine.

They are used to tighten tools in CAT 40 holders. I have a cast iron one that I mounted on a bench near the mill.

This was my first trial. I'm getting +/- .003 this way. I need more
accuracy.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, PM. Good ideas here.

karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 17 Feb 2013 03:31:17 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-02-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to build my own tool Pre setter. Can't afford the real thing.

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an old
T40 spindle?

Which 40 taper? If it is the NTMB 40, you can gauge off the
back of the flange, so just machine something with enough bore to accept
the taper, and a pair of projecting lugs to orient it (probably not
necessary for measuring -- but nice for wrenching on the collet noses).

This was my first method. Used it for a year now. I'm finding +/- .003
this way. i can do better

You could for a one-time job like this, make a mount for your
toolpost to mount an air driven hand grinder and use that as the
toolpost grinder. It will use a lot more electricity running the air
compressor, but it will probably still cost less. You'll need a diamond
for truing the stone in the grinder before you do the work.

I'm not doing this to my beloved 10EE.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an
old
T40 spindle?

I turned some tapered grinding wheel holders by setting the compound
to the same angle as the original with a dial indicator. In the
process I found that I had to clean up the worn dovetails.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

A simple CAT 40 Vise might suffice?

There are several brands and types for holding CAT taper tooling when off
the machine.

They are used to tighten tools in CAT 40 holders. I have a cast iron one
that I mounted on a bench near the mill.

This was my first trial. I'm getting +/- .003 this way. I need more
accuracy.

Karl

Karl, I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERICKSON-30-...em53f4 42b15f

Which gets me pretty close...

But when I need to be closer, I touch the spindle NOSE to a 3in block that's
sitting on the workpiece or in the vise jaws and then after subtracting 3in,
the resultant z axis negative reading becomes my Z axis fixture
offset--then, touch the block once again, with the tool installed and enter
the difference as (positive value) tool length offset.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 20:34:51 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .

A simple CAT 40 Vise might suffice?

There are several brands and types for holding CAT taper tooling when off
the machine.

They are used to tighten tools in CAT 40 holders. I have a cast iron one
that I mounted on a bench near the mill.

This was my first trial. I'm getting +/- .003 this way. I need more
accuracy.

Karl

Karl, I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERICKSON-30-...em53f4 42b15f

Which gets me pretty close...

But when I need to be closer, I touch the spindle NOSE to a 3in block that's
sitting on the workpiece or in the vise jaws and then after subtracting 3in,
the resultant z axis negative reading becomes my Z axis fixture
offset--then, touch the block once again, with the tool installed and enter
the difference as (positive value) tool length offset.

The eBay item is what I'm doing. I'll watch eBay for one. Had NO IDEA
they could go that cheap.

My current unit does +/- 0.003". Doesn't meet my needs. How accurate
is yours?

My son has a multi thousand dollar presetter on his 1/2 million dollar
CNC machine. He says normally a couple tenths accuracy, but he'll do a
touch off check before building dies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:06:13 -0600, the renowned Karl Townsend
wrote:

I need to build my own tool Pre setter. Can't afford the real thing.

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an old
T40 spindle?

Alternatively, can anybody grind a T40 ID?

Otherwise, I'm cutting one on my lathe and lapping in with old tool
holders, don't sound like fun.

Karl

P.S. I'm sorry about asking how to cut metal again. twice in one week.

are these any help?

http://www.accusizetools.ca/upfile/06.pdf

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Accurate enough for my needs...would be better if it had a digital readout
instead of a mike head.

But like I say, I can always do a test cut or use the machine irself. if
need be.

My son has a multi thousand dollar presetter on his 1/2 million dollar
CNC machine. He says normally a couple tenths accuracy, but he'll do a
touch off check before building dies.

I use a tombstone that's set dead center on one of the pallets.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. ..

A simple CAT 40 Vise might suffice?

There are several brands and types for holding CAT taper tooling when off
the machine.

They are used to tighten tools in CAT 40 holders. I have a cast iron one
that I mounted on a bench near the mill.

This was my first trial. I'm getting +/- .003 this way. I need more
accuracy.

Karl

Karl, I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERICKSON-30-...em53f4 42b15f

That tool is very common here on the Left Coast in machine shops that
dont have "on machine presetters"

Which gets me pretty close...

But when I need to be closer, I touch the spindle NOSE to a 3in block that's
sitting on the workpiece or in the vise jaws and then after subtracting 3in,
the resultant z axis negative reading becomes my Z axis fixture
offset--then, touch the block once again, with the tool installed and enter
the difference as (positive value) tool length offset.

The eBay item is what I'm doing. I'll watch eBay for one. Had NO IDEA
they could go that cheap.

My current unit does +/- 0.003". Doesn't meet my needs. How accurate
is yours?

My son has a multi thousand dollar presetter on his 1/2 million dollar
CNC machine. He says normally a couple tenths accuracy, but he'll do a
touch off check before building dies.

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

are these any help?

http://www.accusizetools.ca/upfile/06.pdf

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

This will be my plan "B". I'd like to be able to set up a tool while
the machine is cutting with another tool. This would be better than
having to test cut every tool.

Someplace (CNCzone?) I seen plans for a homebuilt tool presetter that
mounts on the table. i may look into that also.

Karl