Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Looking for female Taper 40

On 17 Feb 2013 03:31:17 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-02-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need to build my own tool Pre setter. Can't afford the real thing.

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an old
T40 spindle?

Which 40 taper? If it is the NTMB 40, you can gauge off the
back of the flange, so just machine something with enough bore to accept
the taper, and a pair of projecting lugs to orient it (probably not
necessary for measuring -- but nice for wrenching on the collet noses).

This was my first method. Used it for a year now. I'm finding +/- .003
this way. i can do better

You could for a one-time job like this, make a mount for your
toolpost to mount an air driven hand grinder and use that as the
toolpost grinder. It will use a lot more electricity running the air
compressor, but it will probably still cost less. You'll need a diamond
for truing the stone in the grinder before you do the work.

I'm not doing this to my beloved 10EE.