Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Looking for female Taper 40

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message ...
I need to build my own tool Pre setter. Can't afford the real thing.

Anyway, I need a ground female shape of taper 40. Anybody got an old
T40 spindle?

You only need about a 2in thick piece of steel, turn the taper on a lathe using your compound feed--leave a recessed area in the center ( to minimize the total amount of lapping needed ) and then then lap /test fit using an old toolholder. A narrow pair of lapped areas about 1/4 should suffice.

Alternately, use a cnc mill and a ball end mill....

Finally, bolt it onto an appx 4x8 flat plate such that that the taper shank extends through a hole in your setup bench.

You'll probably want to designate one of your toolholders as a "standard"....this is a perfect re-use for a damaged holder if you happen to have one kicking around...put it in the spindle and depth mike from it's flange to your spindle face...now, anytime you put this holder into your stand, double check to be sure you get the same reading on your height gage as you did to the spindle face...

Ideally, you would leave a little excess on your taper fixture and carefully face it off just after you finish lapping, testing with the the "standard" the goal being to get both the same which ultimately allow you to simply zero your height gage onto your fixture face.

Alternatively, can anybody grind a T40 ID?

Otherwise, I'm cutting one on my lathe and lapping in with old tool
holders, don't sound like fun.

Karl

P.S. I'm sorry about asking how to cut metal again. twice in one week.