Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air tank cannons

I want to make a noisemaker air tank cannon by cutting off a tall O2 bottle.
I don't want to fire any bowling balls, just create a loud boom for New
Year, and 4th of July. Would it be better to use gunpowder or Acetylene/O2
mixture? I am considering of using an inflatable 99 cent ball to block the
barrel, just charge it, insert the ball, inflate, and fire. Leave it
hanging on a rack when not in use, and call it a bell, in case anyone should
investigate the sound of the report.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 09:49:59 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I want to make a noisemaker air tank cannon by cutting off a tall O2 bottle.
I don't want to fire any bowling balls, just create a loud boom for New
Year, and 4th of July. Would it be better to use gunpowder or Acetylene/O2
mixture? I am considering of using an inflatable 99 cent ball to block the
barrel, just charge it, insert the ball, inflate, and fire. Leave it
hanging on a rack when not in use, and call it a bell, in case anyone should
investigate the sound of the report.

Steve

Acet/O2. Its gonna be far cheaper to fire repeatedly.

And if its pointed upwards..really doesnt need the beach ball.

Black powder is about $20-25 a pound these days IRRC..which gives you
about a 16-32 shots per can.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:49:59 AM UTC-5, Steve B wrote:
I want to make a noisemaker air tank cannon by cutting off a tall O2 bottle.

I don't want to fire any bowling balls, just create a loud boom for New

Year, and 4th of July. Would it be better to use gunpowder or Acetylene/O2

mixture? I am considering of using an inflatable 99 cent ball to block the

barrel, just charge it, insert the ball, inflate, and fire. Leave it

hanging on a rack when not in use, and call it a bell, in case anyone should

investigate the sound of the report.

Steve

based on what a 30 gal trashbag full of acet and O2 sounds like, clear win for acet!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 5, 11:49*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I want to make a noisemaker air tank cannon by cutting off a tall O2 bottle.
I don't want to fire any bowling balls, just create a loud boom for New
Year, and 4th of July. *Would it be better to use gunpowder or Acetylene/O2
mixture? *I am considering of using an inflatable 99 cent ball to block the
barrel, just charge it, insert the ball, inflate, and fire. *Leave it
hanging on a rack when not in use, and call it a bell, in case anyone should
investigate the sound of the report.

Steve

Before you go to all that work, I would make one out of some 4 inch
plastic waste pipe about 3 or 4 feet long. Thread a hole for a
sparkplug and maybe use a microwave oven transformer for the high
voltage. Fill it with acetylene and oxyget and put plastic wrap over
the end and secure with large rubber band.
You can put the microwave transformer close to the cannon and use a
long extension cord so you are not close when you set it off.
Should not take very long to make it and you can see if it is
worthwhile to make something bigger. My guess is that it will be as
loud as you want.

My current cannon is two inch plastic pipe about a foot long. And it
is plenty loud for the grandchildren.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I want to make a noisemaker air tank cannon by cutting off a tall O2
bottle. I don't want to fire any bowling balls, just create a loud boom
for New Year, and 4th of July. Would it be better to use gunpowder or
Acetylene/O2 mixture? I am considering of using an inflatable 99 cent
ball to block the barrel, just charge it, insert the ball, inflate, and
fire. Leave it hanging on a rack when not in use, and call it a bell, in
case anyone should investigate the sound of the report.

Steve

Many larger metro areas have sound listening equipment that can triangulate
on a report to within a very small distance. In addition many metros have
adopted ordinances which include air guns, bows, and even slingshots in
their no discharge ordinances. Atleast one city I know even specifically
includes vinegar soda bombs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

My current cannon is two inch plastic pipe about a foot long. And it is
plenty loud for the grandchildren.

Light the torch, turn up oxygen till the flame extinguishes then fill an
open topped 55 gal drum with the mix.

Use remote ignition and wear earplugs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd suggest propane. One of those little benz-o-matic cans costs a
couple bucks and can be mounted right on your weapon.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message
I want to make a noisemaker air tank cannon by cutting off a tall O2
bottle. I don't want to fire any bowling balls, just create a loud boom
for New Year, and 4th of July. Would it be better to use gunpowder or
Acetylene/O2 mixture? I am considering of using an inflatable 99 cent
ball to block the barrel, just charge it, insert the ball, inflate, and
fire. Leave it hanging on a rack when not in use, and call it a bell, in
case anyone should investigate the sound of the report.

Steve

Many larger metro areas have sound listening equipment that can
triangulate on a report to within a very small distance. In addition many
metros have adopted ordinances which include air guns, bows, and even
slingshots in their no discharge ordinances. Atleast one city I know even
specifically includes vinegar soda bombs.

Where I live, they can't even locate illegal brush burners in the off
season.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I'd suggest propane. One of those little benz-o-matic cans costs a
couple bucks and can be mounted right on your weapon.

I want nothing on the device. It will hang there on a frame as a bell.
When in use, I will point it at a 45 degree angle towards town, and fire it,
then drop it back to being a bell. Don't want any evidence for when the
cops of FD come out looking. Want to put a piece of duct tape over the
input hole, use a piece of cannon rope fuse, and use an inflatable rubber
ball to seal it in, so I can fire it remotely from inside the house. I have
read that the report on these can go upwards of 150 db.

When I had my gopher cannon running, I got a couple of reports that rolled
like thunder around my canyon for several seconds.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote

And if its pointed upwards..really doesnt need the beach ball.

Mebbe just some duct tape. Something that I can get it ready about ten
minutes ahead of time, then sit a delay fuse, come back in the house, then
have it go off with me indoors.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ball to seal it in, so I can fire it remotely from inside the house. I have
read that the report on these can go upwards of 150 db.

When I had my gopher cannon running, I got a couple of reports that rolled
like thunder around my canyon for several seconds.

Steve

50 years ago i stole a blasting cap, a 1/4 stick dinomite, and put it
in a gallon can of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and diesel. The blast
should've killed me.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guess you're not familiar with nitrate and diesel process, then?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

50 years ago i stole a blasting cap, a 1/4 stick dinomite, and put it
in a gallon can of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and diesel. The blast
should've killed me.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 14:16:11 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Guess you're not familiar with nitrate and diesel process, then?

I know they don't let teenage boys near this kinda stuff anymore.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/6/2013 1:32 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

50 years ago i stole a blasting cap, a 1/4 stick dinomite, and put it
in a gallon can of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and diesel. The blast
should've killed me.

Karl

There's always somebody more adventurous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=zzabmVIU6EQ#!

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

With good reason, I'm sure.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Guess you're not familiar with nitrate and diesel process, then?

I know they don't let teenage boys near this kinda stuff anymore.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Well, in that case how about vinegar soda bombs. Hard to nail the timing
exactly, but that's half the fun. All you need is baking soda, vinegar, and
two liter bottles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 09:49:59 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I want to make a noisemaker air tank cannon by cutting off a tall O2 bottle.
I don't want to fire any bowling balls, just create a loud boom for New
Year, and 4th of July. Would it be better to use gunpowder or Acetylene/O2
mixture? I am considering of using an inflatable 99 cent ball to block the
barrel, just charge it, insert the ball, inflate, and fire. Leave it
hanging on a rack when not in use, and call it a bell, in case anyone should
investigate the sound of the report.

Steve

Don't fire that sucker too close to the house! That volume of
Acetylene/O2 mix will create significant overpressure, could break
windows if too close.

Empirical data: ignition of a 30-quart kitchen garbage bag filled
with O2/ C2H2 mix didn't break any windows but it did knock garden
tools off the wall of a wooden yard barn that was maybe 50 feet away.
A tall O2 bottle will have aprroximately that volume of gas at
atmospheric pressure.

I would strongly suggest grounding everything while filling to
preclude static sparks, and then use electric (sparkplug or squib)
ignition.

A friend of mine actually did make a bell or gong out of a tall oxy
tank; cut the end off here at my house with my plasma cutter. When
struck with a bonger, it makes a very satisfying and
quite-long-lasting tone; it's a very high-Q resonator. Geez, if
twanged with a charge of O2/C2H2 the thing may ring for quite a while!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Guess you're not familiar with nitrate and diesel process, then?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .

50 years ago i stole a blasting cap, a 1/4 stick dinomite, and put it
in a gallon can of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and diesel. The blast
should've killed me.

Karl

A standard military cratering charge is (or at least once was) a
40-lb can of ammonium nitrate, which I'd guess would be about 5
gallons or so. C-4 it definitely is not, but it do make a boom!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote

Well, in that case how about vinegar soda bombs. Hard to nail the timing
exactly, but that's half the fun. All you need is baking soda, vinegar,
and two liter bottles.

When I was a kid, we used to take my friend's dad's bottle capper, and some
of his beer bottles, and put dry ice and water in them. We'd toss them out
in the field next to his house, a grassy area. Sometimes they would blow up
on their own after a time. Then we'd go out with our bb guns and pop the
rest. I'm sure glad we never had one go off in our hands. We were luckily
stupid.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote

50 years ago i stole a blasting cap, a 1/4 stick dinomite, and put it
in a gallon can of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and diesel. The blast
should've killed me.

Karl

We did a 55 gal barrel with just a couple of drops of gas, and some oxygen
piped in. We ran a wire from the car's spark. It blew out windows in the
neighborhood, and brought the cops and FD. Our hearing was gone for a
couple of days.

All we could say to the cops was whaaaat????

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 2/6/2013 1:32 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

50 years ago i stole a blasting cap, a 1/4 stick dinomite, and put it
in a gallon can of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and diesel. The blast
should've killed me.

Karl

There's always somebody more adventurous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=zzabmVIU6EQ#!

Kevin Gallimore

Thanks. That was funny.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote

[...]

It will be permanently mounted on an A frame, looking just like a southwest
decor bell. It will be aimed away from the house, and aimed at about a 45
degree angle upward. Will I still have concussion issues?

I saw one of these on youtube that was said to have a report in the 180 db
range.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A school friend and medium close one on one to one -
set off an 8x10x1 box using powered metal. It was in a 55 gallon
drum used for plant waste.

It was overseas on a small island, and he got house arrest for a week.
He loved it - best sound ever and time off for doing it.

He died some years later, being a hemophiliac, driving a midget race
car. He was limited all his life and when he reached out it was
on the edge of life.

We, the classmates of our small private school, continue to trade e-mail
and remember him from time to time.

Martin

"Karl Townsend" wrote

Cannons Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 23 August 21st 11 09:56 PM
Aiming cannons steamer Metalworking 11 April 1st 08 02:05 AM
31 Dec Carbide Cannons active in The Netherlands [email protected] Metalworking 1 December 29th 05 12:06 AM
Carbide Cannons in the Netherlands [email protected] Metalworking 12 December 28th 05 11:50 AM
Carbide Cannons in the Netherlands [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 23rd 05 02:16 PM