Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carbide Cannons in the Netherlands

Hello all over the world,

31 Dec 2005 is it time for us great Carbide cannon fom 180 Liters.
The pipe is 155 cm and 40 cm round.
On our site there is two little films. One from 10 min and the same one
alone longer and is 20 min. Our site is changed to WWW.CARBIDKANON.COM
The other site is still working but not for long.

Have you a carbide cannon and yoy have a little Film from your cannon
or Photo's ?

Please send me your photo's and i place them on our site.

If you have a film, place this film on your own url (webspace) and send
me the link from your url and i make a link. Send me your name and the
location where you shooting your cannon.

Crew S.C.K. Jan...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

wrote:
Hello all over the world,

31 Dec 2005 is it time for us great Carbide cannon fom 180 Liters.
The pipe is 155 cm and 40 cm round.
On our site there is two little films. One from 10 min and the same one
alone longer and is 20 min. Our site is changed to
WWW.CARBIDKANON.COM
The other site is still working but not for long.

Have you a carbide cannon and yoy have a little Film from your cannon
or Photo's ?

Please send me your photo's and i place them on our site.

If you have a film, place this film on your own url (webspace) and send
me the link from your url and i make a link. Send me your name and the
location where you shooting your cannon.

Crew S.C.K. Jan...

This reminds me of my youth in Holland, where I grew up.

Boer Lozeman who had his farm near Putten, would do the following each
December 31 around midnight. He and his sons would take a regular old
Dutch steel "milk can" (the kind in which they would put the milk after
milking their cows). These cans were about 2 1/2 feet tall and about
14" in diameter, with a heavy steel, very tight fitting, lid.

They would place the can in the middle of a field without any cows in
the vicinity. Then they would fill the bottom of the can with a few
handfuls of carbide, then pour in water. They'd push the lid on. Then
they ran for cover. After about half a minute they would hear a very
loud bang accompanied with a bright flash, as the lid was blasted off
the can.

The following day, they would all go into the field to look for the lid.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Abrasha" wrote in message

This reminds me of my youth in Holland, where I grew up.

Boer Lozeman who had his farm near Putten, would do the following each
December 31 around midnight. He and his sons would take a regular old
Dutch steel "milk can" (the kind in which they would put the milk after
milking their cows). These cans were about 2 1/2 feet tall and about
14" in diameter, with a heavy steel, very tight fitting, lid.

They would place the can in the middle of a field without any cows in
the vicinity. Then they would fill the bottom of the can with a few
handfuls of carbide, then pour in water. They'd push the lid on. Then
they ran for cover. After about half a minute they would hear a very
loud bang accompanied with a bright flash, as the lid was blasted off
the can.

The following day, they would all go into the field to look for the lid.

Ah, a romantic life of simple pleasures. g Did they ever find the lid?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Ed Huntress wrote:

The following day, they would all go into the field to look for the lid.

Ah, a romantic life of simple pleasures. g Did they ever find the lid?

--
Ed Huntress

Yes they did. In fact, as the can in question was no longer suitable
for milk collection, they used the same can and lid every year for many
years.

I have very fond memories of "Boer Lozeman". During WWII he hid my
mother, then a young girl, from the Germans. My mother told me a number
of stories about that experience. My brother and I spent several
summers on his farm as young boys.

My wife and I visited him and his wife on one trip back home, some 15
years ago. Since none of his children were interested in farming, his
oldest son had become an international trucker, as he was just getting
much to old for the hard life of farming, he had sold the farm, lock,
stock and barrel, to some doctor from Amsterdam. The land, the
buildings, the furniture, all the fabulous old Dutch antiques,
everything. He bought himself a small modern brick house, rather ugly
if you ask me.

The sad part was, that the new house was about a stone's throw from the
old farm. You could see the old house from his new property. It was
probably just sad for me, with my romantic notions of farming. He was
probably just very happy to get rid of it all, and enjoy the last years
of his life with his wife, in peace and quiet, without having to get up
every morning at 3 AM to go out and milk those damned cows, and/or bring
in the harvest, etc.

Happy Holidays to all on the ng, and the best for 2006.

You too Gunner!

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Abrasha wrote:
... After about half a minute they would hear a very
loud bang accompanied with a bright flash, as the lid was blasted off
the can....

An example of how unstable acetylene is over a certain pressure? You
don't mention an igniter, so I'm assuming it was spontaneous. This is
giving me ideas. 8-)
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Abrasha wrote:

... After about half a minute they would hear a very loud bang
accompanied with a bright flash, as the lid was blasted off the can....

An example of how unstable acetylene is over a certain pressure? You
don't mention an igniter, so I'm assuming it was spontaneous.

That's how I remember it. In the online movies they seem to be using
what is a spark plug igniter. I remember the one from my childhood to
be just carbide and water.

I looked around a bit online, using Dutch search terms "karbiet" and
"melkbus". This seems to be a Dutch tradition to this day. I even
found photos of a couple of guys doing this with several milk cans
(melkbus in Dutch) simultaneously. The cans look exactly like the milk
can of my youth. http://tinyurl.com/ayln6

Go halfway down the page. In the top picture, you can actually see one
of the lids of the milk can fly off.

This is
giving me ideas. 8-)
Bob

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

The following day, they would all go into the field to look for the lid.

Ah, a romantic life of simple pleasures. g Did they ever find the lid?

--
Ed Huntress

Yes they did. In fact, as the can in question was no longer suitable
for milk collection, they used the same can and lid every year for many
years.

Not to diminish the interesting story you related after that paragraph, but
I'm struck by the idea of the traditional Dutch "Blowing Up of the
Milkcans," in which you blow the lid off of one of those suckers with a big
charge of carbide. I imagine the milk cans being passed down from generation
to generation...everyone gets out their ancestral wooden shoes to prevent
sparks...the charge is laid while cherub-faced, cherry-cheeked Dutch boys
run laughing, clop, clop, clop...the charge goes off; the light from the
explosion reveals plowed fields, distant, contented cows in their barns, a
"mooo-oo" is heard from the distance...and the lid comes down somewhere with
a "clang." The boys prick up their ears, trying to determine where the lid
has landed, so that, tomorrow morning, before the adults are out of bed, the
boys are out combing the fields, playfully tossing cow pies at each other
while trying to be the first to find the milk can lid...a challenge for the
prize, unspecified, unknown to outsiders, mysterious...but motivation for
generations of cherubic Dutch boys who aspire to nothing so much as being
the First to Find the Lid...

Carry on. And Merry Christmas.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Abrasha wrote:

... After about half a minute they would hear a very loud bang
accompanied with a bright flash, as the lid was blasted off the can....

An example of how unstable acetylene is over a certain pressure? You
don't mention an igniter, so I'm assuming it was spontaneous. This is
giving me ideas. 8-)
Bob

I don't see how a milk can lid could hold to even a couple of PSI.
But, the carbide reaction is exothermic, IIRC. So, the stuff just
keeps getting hotter until it reaches the temperature to ignite
the Acetylene.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--I'm thinking this would work as well with a hunk of dry ice
and water. If you do this with, say, a capped 2-liter soda bottle the
results can be interesting. More fun with liquid nitrogen tho, bwahaha.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Nihil curo de ista tua
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : stulta superstitione...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On 27 Dec 2005 17:43:01 GMT, steamer wrote:

--I'm thinking this would work as well with a hunk of dry ice
and water. If you do this with, say, a capped 2-liter soda bottle the
results can be interesting. More fun with liquid nitrogen tho, bwahaha.

My former brother-in-law (divorce, not death) did the carbide thing
with a cheap champagne bottle with the plastic cork, lit candle in
front. He said it was impressive. With what I know now, I'm
surprised it didn't go off before it blew the cork. On the other
hand, he may not have been able to tell. This was in the part of
Bellaire, Texas on the east side of 610 near the tracks.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Near the nursery ? :-) Google Earth tells all!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Pete Keillor wrote:
On 27 Dec 2005 17:43:01 GMT, steamer wrote:

--I'm thinking this would work as well with a hunk of dry ice
and water. If you do this with, say, a capped 2-liter soda bottle the
results can be interesting. More fun with liquid nitrogen tho, bwahaha.

My former brother-in-law (divorce, not death) did the carbide thing
with a cheap champagne bottle with the plastic cork, lit candle in
front. He said it was impressive. With what I know now, I'm
surprised it didn't go off before it blew the cork. On the other
hand, he may not have been able to tell. This was in the part of
Bellaire, Texas on the east side of 610 near the tracks.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

Darsey St.