Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default Carbide Cannons in the Netherlands

"Abrasha" wrote in message

This reminds me of my youth in Holland, where I grew up.

Boer Lozeman who had his farm near Putten, would do the following each
December 31 around midnight. He and his sons would take a regular old
Dutch steel "milk can" (the kind in which they would put the milk after
milking their cows). These cans were about 2 1/2 feet tall and about
14" in diameter, with a heavy steel, very tight fitting, lid.

They would place the can in the middle of a field without any cows in
the vicinity. Then they would fill the bottom of the can with a few
handfuls of carbide, then pour in water. They'd push the lid on. Then
they ran for cover. After about half a minute they would hear a very
loud bang accompanied with a bright flash, as the lid was blasted off
the can.

The following day, they would all go into the field to look for the lid.

Ah, a romantic life of simple pleasures. g Did they ever find the lid?

--
Ed Huntress