Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 9 tooth spline motor shaft

Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an
arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an
arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

All that surplus center stuff is like these motors, useless when not
applied to some special purpose for which it was originally designed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an
arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

All that surplus center stuff is like these motors, useless when not
applied to some special purpose for which it was originally designed.

Make yourself some internally splined couplers....piece of cake...

Or have someone that knows how...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19/01/2013 1:44 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an
arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

Spline keys?

http://www.rshydraulics.com/Store/Hy...pline_Keys.php

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use
for a wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2"
dia. nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to
mount an arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/spl...ecatalog/N-i9g
http://agandfarmsupply.com/shop/cate...aram=cid%3D%26

I machined a broach to fit a pulley to an ANSI-splined hydraulic pump
shaft. While it worked, the required effort was only justifiable as
toolmaking practice. The difficult part was grinding a lathe bit
cutter to the 30 degree involute(?) groove shape.
http://www.steelmans.com/spline-broaches.htm

Afterwards I found this tilting vise that made angular fly cutter
grinding much easier.
http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=univise
It shifts the problem from grinding the cutter to measuring it.

I think it could help grind lathe bits to Law-approximation gear
cutters using conical stones to achieve the correct diameter easily,
with automatic relief below the edge.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/18/2013 11:44 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia. nine-tooth splined
shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

Looks nice, but, "Intermittant duty" ??

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/19/2013 9:31 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 01/18/2013 11:44 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined
shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

Looks nice, but, "Intermittant duty" ??

Damn! I didn't notice that, thanks. That's a deal killer. I need to
get two brushing stations operational in less than a week. Without an
off-shelf solution and the intermittent DS, I'll just buy from Grainger.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 1/19/2013 9:31 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 01/18/2013 11:44 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined
shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

Looks nice, but, "Intermittant duty" ??

Damn! I didn't notice that, thanks. That's a deal killer. I need to
get two brushing stations operational in less than a week. Without an
off-shelf solution and the intermittent DS, I'll just buy from Grainger.

What do you need, a 1 HP 3450 RPM motor?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 00:44:05 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an
arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

Measure the diameter of the spline.
turn and thread a shaft to fit hole in wire brush.

drill ID of reverse end of threaded portion, and then bore to size of
diameter of above spline .000/+.003

Drill and tap for (2) setscrews over ID bore
Install on splined shaft. Use hammer if necessary to drive to full
depth.

Install (2) setscrews with Loctite (blue)

Turn on motor and use wire brush

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 23:56:01 -0600, Ignoramus27037

On 2013-01-19, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an
arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

All that surplus center stuff is like these motors, useless when not
applied to some special purpose for which it was originally designed.

1hp, 3450 rpm, would be a very good application for an 8" wire brush.

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:06:39 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 1/19/2013 9:31 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 01/18/2013 11:44 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined
shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

Looks nice, but, "Intermittant duty" ??

Damn! I didn't notice that, thanks. That's a deal killer. I need to
get two brushing stations operational in less than a week. Without an
off-shelf solution and the intermittent DS, I'll just buy from Grainger.

Intermittant duty = less than "under load"

I dont think Tom would be using the full 1hp at full load on a wire
brush..do you ?

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner fired this volley in
:

Use hammer if necessary to drive to full
depth.

????
Um... considering this is a motor shaft, wouldn't pressing it on be a
better idea?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an
arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

All that surplus center stuff is like these motors, useless when not
applied to some special purpose for which it was originally designed.

1hp, 3450 rpm, would be a very good application for an 8" wire brush.

Yes, great motor, intermittent duty with essentially no shaft.

Hint, a wirebrush is subject to side loads and needs to sit on a long
arbor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an
arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

1) Bore to just larger than the diameter at the root of the spline.

2) Use the lathe as a shaper and index off the bull gear (or a real
index head an real shaper if available) and cut a matching spline.

3) slit down the middle of the thin area of each spline.

4) Clamp around this to grip the motor's shaft as well as possible.
(probably add bearing-mount LocTite for extra grip.)

Or (depends on length of arbor -- for a long one)

1&2) As above.

3) Mount the wire brush between two sealed bearings, and mount
bearings to the face of the motor.

Probably other options as well. Just what came to mind on
reading your question.

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 21:28:48 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner fired this volley in
:

Use hammer if necessary to drive to full
depth.

????
Um... considering this is a motor shaft, wouldn't pressing it on be a
better idea?

LLoyd

Probably..but Im sure using something smaller than a 16lb sledge will
get the job done fairly safely.

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/19/2013 1:03 AM, Dennis wrote:
On 19/01/2013 1:44 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Surplus Center has these wonderful motors that I would like to use for a
wire-brushing operation. (imagine that) They have a 1/2" dia.
nine-tooth splined shaft 1/2" long. Have any ideas how to mount an
arbor on that shaft?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

Spline keys?

http://www.rshydraulics.com/Store/Hy...pline_Keys.php

Thanks! I can adapt something a lot easier with these. But sadly, it
was pointed out that these motors won't work for my application.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/19/2013 10:16 PM, Gunner wrote:
[...]

WELLLLLL, I might. I'll just buy Grainger after I call the local
rewinder...just in case he has 2 of something laying around. I have to
clean rust from 4,500 lbs of flat wire for a NY company that was flooded
by Sandy. The wire is on 200 lb spools. I'll run the wire from spool
to spool and wire brush the top and bottom in between. We are good as
handling flat wire and have the tricks to spooling and unspooling. I'll
try 5 wires at a time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/19/2013 10:12 PM, Gunner wrote:
Measure the diameter of the spline.
turn and thread a shaft to fit hole in wire brush.

drill ID of reverse end of threaded portion, and then bore to size of
diameter of above spline .000/+.003

Drill and tap for (2) setscrews over ID bore
Install on splined shaft. Use hammer if necessary to drive to full
depth.

Install (2) setscrews with Loctite (blue)

Turn on motor and use wire brush

I don't think so. The shaft only has 1/2" of stick-out (!) and a radial
load a few inches away is going to put terrific dislodging force on the
joint. A back-and-forth force 55 times a second.

If the outboard end was supported it would be OK.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 12:39:45 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 1/19/2013 10:12 PM, Gunner wrote:
Measure the diameter of the spline.
turn and thread a shaft to fit hole in wire brush.

drill ID of reverse end of threaded portion, and then bore to size of
diameter of above spline .000/+.003

Drill and tap for (2) setscrews over ID bore
Install on splined shaft. Use hammer if necessary to drive to full
depth.

Install (2) setscrews with Loctite (blue)

Turn on motor and use wire brush

I don't think so. The shaft only has 1/2" of stick-out (!) and a radial
load a few inches away is going to put terrific dislodging force on the
joint. A back-and-forth force 55 times a second.

If the outboard end was supported it would be OK.

Bob

How big in diameter is the motor body? If its 6" in diameter..that
leaves a full inch of brush stickout beyond the motor diameter.

Though after seeing Toms application..deburing flat stock..it would be
very easy to simply build it the way I suggested..but put a pillow
block bearing out on the end of the shaft and mount 2 of these units
on the top and bottom of a 1/2" thick aluminum plate and using a pair
of steel idlers..run that 5 strands of flat stock through a pair of
brushes and then off to a semi circle of take up spools.

Should take only 2-4 hours to build it. from start to finish.

Only issue I can see is powering up the take up spools if they are in
a semi circle. Humm..they could be vertically stacked and offset
using 4 idlers and a common pulley on each drum holder shaft and they
could all be spun at the same time and speed from a single 1/4 hp
motor. Perhaps chain would be better to drive all 5 take up drums.
Take 2 guys 4 hours to build it. 8 hours if they had an idea of what
they were going for.

It would be cool to keep the thing around after the job was done..it
would come in handy again.

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Tom Gardner , dippsmick wrote:
i get the tooth spline motor online. with the set of Gear Hobs they
provide the fine stuff in good price. i get my delivery in 2 - 4 working
days.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ft-565538-.htm

17 spline shaft [email protected] Metalworking 6 August 12th 11 11:21 PM
B&S Motor with bent shaft Peetie Wheatstraw Home Repair 11 June 15th 09 06:11 PM
Motor shaft adapter Alex Metalworking 7 April 29th 06 10:51 PM
Cutting a shaft off a motor Rex B Metalworking 21 October 5th 05 05:55 PM
making a spline shaft and golf cart motors Jon Elson Metalworking 3 August 12th 04 01:22 PM