Posted to alt.home.repair

Default B&S Motor with bent shaft

A friend ran his (maybe 3.5 hp) Briggs/Stratton push mower over an
unmovable (sawed off) metal standard. CLUNK!

Didn't do much to the blade, but the shaft looks bent. Will turn OK
for 180 degrees, -very- tight for the other 180.

Can such a shaft be straightened? If so, how?

Thx,
Peetie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
A friend ran his (maybe 3.5 hp) Briggs/Stratton push mower over an
unmovable (sawed off) metal standard. CLUNK!

Didn't do much to the blade, but the shaft looks bent. Will turn OK
for 180 degrees, -very- tight for the other 180.

Can such a shaft be straightened? If so, how?

Thx,
Peetie

You *did* remove the spark plug before testing, yes?

I'm just saying.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had to think about that for a few moments. I can think of
two reasons for removing the spark plug.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message

You *did* remove the spark plug before testing, yes?

I'm just saying.

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

A friend ran his (maybe 3.5 hp) Briggs/Stratton push mower over an
unmovable (sawed off) metal standard. CLUNK!

Didn't do much to the blade, but the shaft looks bent. Will turn OK
for 180 degrees, -very- tight for the other 180.

Can such a shaft be straightened? If so, how?

Thx,
Peetie

While nothing is impossible, strightening a crankshaft bent enough to
create that "tight" result will cost your friend a lot more than buying
and installing a new engine or just purchasing a new mower.

Replacing the crankshaft with a new part (and new gaskets, keys and
seals where required) is a possibility, but only if your friend knows
what he's doing, has all the proper tools at hand,and doesn't place a
dollar value on his time.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message

A friend ran his (maybe 3.5 hp) Briggs/Stratton push mower over an
unmovable (sawed off) metal standard. CLUNK!

Didn't do much to the blade, but the shaft looks bent. Will turn OK
for 180 degrees, -very- tight for the other 180.

Can such a shaft be straightened? If so, how?

Thx,
Peetie

All manufacturers and most mechanics do not recommend it. However, it can be
and is done. Some engine shops have a tool/fixture for doing it and others
will not attempt it. I have straightened several, some while in the engine
and some removed, and have never had any problems with them. There is a risk
that the shaft might be already cracked or be cracked while straightening
and that is why it is not a recommended fix. A shaft bent severely enough to
bind would not be a good candidate for straightening.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:24:47 -0500, "Don Young" wrote:

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
.. .

A friend ran his (maybe 3.5 hp) Briggs/Stratton push mower over an
unmovable (sawed off) metal standard. CLUNK!

Didn't do much to the blade, but the shaft looks bent. Will turn OK
for 180 degrees, -very- tight for the other 180.

Can such a shaft be straightened? If so, how?

Thx,
Peetie

All manufacturers and most mechanics do not recommend it. However, it can be
and is done. Some engine shops have a tool/fixture for doing it and others
will not attempt it. I have straightened several, some while in the engine
and some removed, and have never had any problems with them. There is a risk
that the shaft might be already cracked or be cracked while straightening
and that is why it is not a recommended fix. A shaft bent severely enough to
bind would not be a good candidate for straightening.

"It takes a special tool/fixture and there are (obviously) risks involved"?

I had to ask: for all I knew, there might be a splined connector or some-such
between crank and blade-shaft, which could be easily replaced. No such luck,
evidently.

Thanks,
Peeite
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:47:35 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

A friend ran his (maybe 3.5 hp) Briggs/Stratton push mower over an
unmovable (sawed off) metal standard. CLUNK!

Didn't do much to the blade, but the shaft looks bent. Will turn OK
for 180 degrees, -very- tight for the other 180.

Can such a shaft be straightened? If so, how?

Thx,
Peetie

While nothing is impossible, strightening a crankshaft bent enough to
create that "tight" result will cost your friend a lot more than buying
and installing a new engine or just purchasing a new mower.

Replacing the crankshaft with a new part (and new gaskets, keys and
seals where required) is a possibility, but only if your friend knows
what he's doing, has all the proper tools at hand,and doesn't place a
dollar value on his time.

Jeff

A big chunk of Sched 80 iron tipe the right size to fit over the
shaft, with the blade removed, can quite easily straighten a B&S
crankshaft. Taked a couple of tries, usually. A short chunk and a
light sledge hammer can do the same job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I can think of two reasons for removing the spark plug.

Me, too!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I had to think about that for a few moments. I can think of
two reasons for removing the spark plug.

The left hand and the right hand?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message

You *did* remove the spark plug before testing, yes?

I'm just saying.

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

[...]

I've heard that it can be done but this is the first time I've read about
it. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm pretty sure the blade is connected more or less directly to the
crankshaft but I've not yet determined if the threaded fitting it attaches
to is removable. It looks like it should be. In any case you can often
find people giving away lawnmowers with those engines (or even better
engines) on Craig's List so as long as you can get one that doesn't have
another bent crankshaft you could probably make one good engine from the
two.

Where to Get the Key for Keyway in Motor Shaft? Jay Chan Woodworking 12 November 16th 08 01:50 AM
electric motor shaft question. Dave Home Repair 6 June 23rd 07 04:37 PM
Motor shaft adapter Alex Metalworking 7 April 29th 06 10:51 PM
Cutting a shaft off a motor Rex B Metalworking 21 October 5th 05 05:55 PM
Shaft Adapter for Beale Motor Keith Young Woodturning 6 June 20th 05 09:01 AM