Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default B&S Motor with bent shaft

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:24:47 -0500, "Don Young"

wrote:

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
.. .

A friend ran his (maybe 3.5 hp) Briggs/Stratton push mower over an
unmovable (sawed off) metal standard. CLUNK!

Didn't do much to the blade, but the shaft looks bent. Will turn OK
for 180 degrees, -very- tight for the other 180.

Can such a shaft be straightened? If so, how?

Thx,
Peetie

All manufacturers and most mechanics do not recommend it. However, it can

be
and is done. Some engine shops have a tool/fixture for doing it and

others
will not attempt it. I have straightened several, some while in the

engine
and some removed, and have never had any problems with them. There is a

risk
that the shaft might be already cracked or be cracked while straightening
and that is why it is not a recommended fix. A shaft bent severely enough

bind would not be a good candidate for straightening.

"It takes a special tool/fixture and there are (obviously) risks

involved"?

I had to ask: for all I knew, there might be a splined connector or

some-such
between crank and blade-shaft, which could be easily replaced. No such

luck,
evidently.

Thanks,
Peeite

I'm pretty sure the blade is connected more or less directly to the
crankshaft but I've not yet determined if the threaded fitting it attaches
to is removable. It looks like it should be. In any case you can often
find people giving away lawnmowers with those engines (or even better
engines) on Craig's List so as long as you can get one that doesn't have
another bent crankshaft you could probably make one good engine from the
two.