Keith Young

Default Shaft Adapter for Beale Motor

Hi

Unfortunately mechanical skills are not my forte. I am mounting a buffer
atachment to my used motor.This comes with a shaft adapter which is almost
completely round with a slice cut out. Am I supposed to place the set screws
so that they contact and tighten thru the cutout to the motor shaft, or
tighten them on the adapter itself?
Its a dumb question? but having said that I am of the belief that there are
no stupid questions, maybe stupid answers.

Help
Keith
Newfoundland

Kudzu

In a perfect setup you would tighten the screw onto a flat cut on the
shaft. That way when the set screw marks the shaft you could still slide
on a pulley because the flat is below the shaft. (make sense). If you
mess up the shaft it it's very hard to add or remove a puller. Of course
most motor shafts don't have a flat on them.

So I would say, tighten it in the slot, thats a keyway slot BTW, that
way you don't mess up the shafts surface. If you ever want to put a
pulley on the motor you can file the keyway flat again. Make sense?

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Keith
You say you adapter is almost round with a slice cut out, right?
That would be for a key, and if your motor shaft also has a key way than
you could use a key to keep your adapter from turning, the set screws
would keep it from sliding off.
However there is not much torque normally when buffing or polishing so
just using the set screws should be ok, but if you ever have a problem
with the adapter slipping get a key in there that will stop it.

Did you mount your motor in a box already ??
Make sure you have enough ventilation in there.
I have a small motor buffer, I have it just sit on the bench, have look
if you will it's in one of my photo albums, I find that there is not
that much dust buildup and never bothered to enclose it.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum25.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Keith Young wrote:

Hi

Unfortunately mechanical skills are not my forte. I am mounting a buffer
atachment to my used motor.This comes with a shaft adapter which is almost
completely round with a slice cut out. Am I supposed to place the set screws
so that they contact and tighten thru the cutout to the motor shaft, or
tighten them on the adapter itself?
Its a dumb question? but having said that I am of the belief that there are
no stupid questions, maybe stupid answers.

Help
Keith
Newfoundland

Bruce Barnett

"Keith Young" writes:

Unfortunately mechanical skills are not my forte. I am mounting a buffer
atachment to my used motor.

If you are talking about a Beall buffing system, the adapter has a
taper to it, and is used for a Morse Taper (MT) device, like a lathe.
So the mandrel mounts on the adapter, which goes into the Lathe.

Otherwise, mount the buffer to the shaft of the motor, without using
the adapter.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Bruce

Bruce you are muddling things up a bit imo

The Beall system comes with 3 buffs with mandrels, 2 polishing bars and
a wax bar, and a quick change shaft adapter, it fits on a straight 1/2"
or 5/8" shaft.

A #2 Morse Taper with a straight end is available separately, the quick
change shaft adapter fits on the straight end of the MT mandrel and the
mandrel can be used in a lathe, the MT mandrel is drilled and tapped
for a draw bar to use in a lathe

Here's a link for a quick look for those interested

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,43040

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bruce Barnett wrote:
"Keith Young" writes:

Unfortunately mechanical skills are not my forte. I am mounting a buffer
atachment to my used motor.

If you are talking about a Beall buffing system, the adapter has a
taper to it, and is used for a Morse Taper (MT) device, like a lathe.
So the mandrel mounts on the adapter, which goes into the Lathe.

Otherwise, mount the buffer to the shaft of the motor, without using
the adapter.

Keith Young

NEWS!

The beale system I have is the model intended for a separate motor other
than lathe mounting. It comes with 3 buffers that screw indivually into an
adapter to fit a motor separate from the lathe. I tried to purchase the
lathe mounting system but was unable to get a unit with a #2 morse taper
only a #1. Strange or what!

Take Care
Keith
Newfoundland