Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default 9 tooth spline motor shaft

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 12:39:45 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 1/19/2013 10:12 PM, Gunner wrote:
Measure the diameter of the spline.
turn and thread a shaft to fit hole in wire brush.

drill ID of reverse end of threaded portion, and then bore to size of
diameter of above spline .000/+.003

Drill and tap for (2) setscrews over ID bore
Install on splined shaft. Use hammer if necessary to drive to full
depth.

Install (2) setscrews with Loctite (blue)

Turn on motor and use wire brush

I don't think so. The shaft only has 1/2" of stick-out (!) and a radial
load a few inches away is going to put terrific dislodging force on the
joint. A back-and-forth force 55 times a second.

If the outboard end was supported it would be OK.

Bob

How big in diameter is the motor body? If its 6" in diameter..that
leaves a full inch of brush stickout beyond the motor diameter.

Though after seeing Toms application..deburing flat stock..it would be
very easy to simply build it the way I suggested..but put a pillow
block bearing out on the end of the shaft and mount 2 of these units
on the top and bottom of a 1/2" thick aluminum plate and using a pair
of steel idlers..run that 5 strands of flat stock through a pair of
brushes and then off to a semi circle of take up spools.

Should take only 2-4 hours to build it. from start to finish.

Only issue I can see is powering up the take up spools if they are in
a semi circle. Humm..they could be vertically stacked and offset
using 4 idlers and a common pulley on each drum holder shaft and they
could all be spun at the same time and speed from a single 1/4 hp
motor. Perhaps chain would be better to drive all 5 take up drums.
Take 2 guys 4 hours to build it. 8 hours if they had an idea of what
they were going for.

It would be cool to keep the thing around after the job was done..it
would come in handy again.

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner