Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More metalworking content

On 27 Jan 2013 02:37:06 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-01-26, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 26 Jan 2013 04:17:12 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Hmmm ... I picked up a "universal" power lump from MicroCenter,
which included the right voltage, and a listing for the maker of the
NetBook -- but it had a series of interchangeable barrel connectors with
a 3-pin input. Apparently a resistor in the connector programs which
output voltage you will get -- but there is no matching connector for
the cable (otherwise I would build my own adaptor using the original
cable and my own resistor to program it). I guess that I could find a
female barrel connector and use that to make the adaptor needed.

I recently found out the hard way that RatSnack carried both the M
(5.5x2.1mm) and N (5.5x2.5)size jacks and plugs. I had the wrong size
(M) in my kit when I built my 5ah LED flashlight. The charger was N.
sigh

Your 2.5mm is the ID, while mine has to be 2.5mm OD. The

Roger, over. That makes a difference. g

"universal" supply did have some of the larger sizes, but nothing down
as small as 2.5 mm OD.

Now I see why someone said it seemed to be a lot of current for that
size.

--
Poverty is easy. It's Charity and Chastity that are hard.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 24 Jan 2013 01:15:37 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

Right now -- my preferred lab power supply for that (a Power
Designs one for 0-36V at 0-5A) is keeping my EEPC Netbook running to run
my weather station web page. (It is loaded with linux, not the original
Windows. :-) The original power supply failed not too long ago, and
finding a replacement (19VDC @ 2.2A with a 2.5mm barrel connector) seems
to be a bit tricky. :-)

No Walmarts in your neck of the woods?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aluratek-U...aptop/14264447

Here is another choice...

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=625

etc etc

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Right now -- my preferred lab power supply for that (a Power
Designs one for 0-36V at 0-5A) is keeping my EEPC Netbook running to run
my weather station web page. (It is loaded with linux, not the original
Windows. :-) The original power supply failed not too long ago, and
finding a replacement (19VDC @ 2.2A with a 2.5mm barrel connector) seems
to be a bit tricky. :-)

No Walmarts in your neck of the woods?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aluratek-U...aptop/14264447

That one looks very much like the "Universal" one which I got,
which does not have the right conector. And they don't list either the
output connectors or the output voltages available (and the current.)
The smallest connector looks as though it *might* be a 2.5mm one, but it
could be 3mm or so instead. No listing means no trial.

It looks as though there is a solution -- I've just accepted an
offer via e-mail.

Here is another choice...

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=625

Again -- not enough detailed information. The one with the
right wattage and voltage and for Asus looks to have a fatter connector
based on the photo.

Thanks anyway,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well..you could...could call the phoks at geeks.com, or simply go down
to Wally World and try your plug.

Is your plug bad, or is your powersupply bad? If its simply the power
supply...make an adapter or cut the ******* off and put on the old
one.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Well..you could...could call the phoks at geeks.com, or simply go down
to Wally World and try your plug.

None of my sources sell that 2.5 mm O.D. size. I bought several sets
from different places to use to test things that I receive with no wall
wart and the smallest in any of them is 3.7 mm O.D.