Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More metalworking content

Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 18, 6:55*pm, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)

Thanks for posting metalworking content. I looked at both pictures.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Nice to see real metalworking.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

Nice work! But I'll bet that Steve downsizes those images.
They are way oversized. 2560x1920 is massive overkill.

And both are all lower case names except for the extension,
FWIW. If you're going to put one of them at the beginning of a
sentence, put it in double quotes to resist the temptation to
capitalize it.

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

That's O.K. It is nice work anyway. CNC machine did it?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker wrote:

Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

* * * * Nice to see real metalworking.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

* * * * Nice work! *But I'll bet that Steve downsizes those images.
They are way oversized. *2560x1920 is massive overkill.

* * * * And both are all lower case names except for the extension,
FWIW. *If you're going to put one of them at the beginning of a
sentence, put it in double quotes to resist the temptation to
capitalize it.

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

* * * * That's O.K. *It is nice work anyway. *CNC machine did it?

* * * * Enjoy,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

--
* * * * * * * * * Remove oil spill source from e-mail
*Email: * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

I liked the large pictures. Why do they need to be made smaller? Are
you still using dial up?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Nice to see real metalworking.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

Nice work! But I'll bet that Steve downsizes those images.
They are way oversized. 2560x1920 is massive overkill.

Yeah, they came from work's camera, many more MP than mine. My camera
images are usually about 750K in size. Also explains the upper case file
extension, my camera is lower case. I didn't check anything before
uploading.

And both are all lower case names except for the extension,
FWIW. If you're going to put one of them at the beginning of a
sentence, put it in double quotes to resist the temptation to
capitalize it.

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

That's O.K. It is nice work anyway. CNC machine did it?

No, metal chisel, stones, and sandpaper. VBG

Spoiler alert
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

Seriously, yes, a Mazak Nexus vertical.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Jan 2013 04:19:02 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

mwdropbox.com.

Nice big pile of chips at the end of the cycle eh?

VBG

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

mwdropbox.com.

Nice big pile of chips at the end of the cycle eh?

VBG

Gunner

1. Lie

That's all you have to say about the parts? Not, how did you hold it?
What problems do you encounter machining a part like that, etc? Think
you could make that part Gummer? What would you machine first? What do
you think would be problem areas? No... **** all that: you want to
make some dumb ass comment on chips. You are incapable of learning
precision machining. Go drink some more Mountain Dew and keep
poisoning yourself, dickhead.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Nice to see real metalworking.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

Nice work! But I'll bet that Steve downsizes those images.
They are way oversized. 2560x1920 is massive overkill.

And both are all lower case names except for the extension,
FWIW. If you're going to put one of them at the beginning of a
sentence, put it in double quotes to resist the temptation to
capitalize it.

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

That's O.K. It is nice work anyway. CNC machine did it?

Don, how are the repairs to your shop coming along?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 19, 8:57*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"

On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

* * * * Nice to see real metalworking.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

* * * * Nice work! *But I'll bet that Steve downsizes those images.
They are way oversized. *2560x1920 is massive overkill.

* * * * And both are all lower case names except for the extension,
FWIW. *If you're going to put one of them at the beginning of a
sentence, put it in double quotes to resist the temptation to
capitalize it.

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

* * * * That's O.K. *It is nice work anyway. *CNC machine did it?

* *Don, how are the repairs to your shop coming along?

Anyone ever notice that when it comes to metalworking that Terrell
always changes the subject. You got anything to say about the parts
and the skill that it takes to make these parts, ****tard?

You had no idea what the parts even were for. I didn't either but
unlike Terrell, I'm honest enough to admit it. I have no idea what
lots of parts that I program and/or machine are for. Sometimes you
learn not to ask. Depends on who you are doing work for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Nice to see real metalworking.

[ ... ]

Don, how are the repairs to your shop coming along?

Well ... the cleaning and checking of the machines is complete.
Most of the machines came out fine -- after de-surface-rusting and
re-lubing. The drill press pops the GFI as soon as it starts to rotate.
Likely water in the small VFD mounted on it, as the motor is well
sealed. I can't dig into that to fix it until the*walls are
re-insulated and re-drywalled. (Adding outlets while I am about it. :-)

Lots of tool holders (30-taper and 40-taper as well as
Aloris style) need de-rusting -- or replacement. All the end mill sets
(normal, two angles of dovetail, and Woodruff key cutters) will need to
be replaced, as well as drill bits -- but waiting about ordering these
until I have a place to put them.

Currently waiting through paperwork to get the check from the
insurance company turned into cash to pay people. Had to get it signed
by the credit union, and the mortgage company wants to hold onto it and
handle disbursements themselves.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-20, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
?
? "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
??
?? On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker ? wrote:
[...]

At least you are making some progress. Keep us informed, and let us
know if you need to replace the computer you used for CNC. I'm sure
something can be found, unless you want to spring for a new, industrial
grade motheboard with EISA slots.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-20, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
?
? "DoN. Nichols" wrote:
??
?? On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker ? wrote:
?? ? Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.
??
?? Nice to see real metalworking.

[ ... ]

? Don, how are the repairs to your shop coming along?

Well ... the cleaning and checking of the machines is complete.

[ ... ]

Currently waiting through paperwork to get the check from the
insurance company turned into cash to pay people. Had to get it signed
by the credit union, and the mortgage company wants to hold onto it and
handle disbursements themselves.

At least you are making some progress. Keep us informed, and let us
know if you need to replace the computer you used for CNC. I'm sure
something can be found, unless you want to spring for a new, industrial
grade motheboard with EISA slots.

Well ... actually, *that* computer survived, though it looks a
bit ugly on the surface which was uppermost. Soot stains in the paint :-)
It is an HP box with a SATA drive, and no custom boards in it yet. It
is loaded with LinuxCNC and has a 19" touchscreen monitor hung on it.
2GB RAM, 2.4 GHz CPU. Linux claims to find 2 CPUs, so it must be a dual
core. :-) Linux says (in dmesg) among lots of other things:

HP Compaq Laptop series board detected. Selecting BIOS-method for reboots.

even though it is a nice tower case.

What *did* die was an IBM ThinkCenter (nice small desktop box)
which had Solaris 10 OS installed, and was used to interface to the Emco
Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe to upload/download programs. The latest
version of the software was on the disk and nowhere else, and luckily
enough, the drive survived, and in another box I was able to extract the
source for future use. I would like to find another of the same
footprint as the ThinkCenter (which came from "PC Warehouse" -- one of
the branches of PC-Retro which was closest to me. I should be able to
find another at one of their other branches which are still open.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21 Jan 2013 03:31:36 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

rusty endmills and tool holders...will still work just fine after you
hit em with the fine wire wheel. Unless they were stored in a bucket
of salt water for a couple months.

Half the tooling I have at home, came home rusty. Shrug

But Ill not tell that to your insurance company.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422.../ShopDec282012

Added some photos

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-01-19, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Nice to see real metalworking.

[ ... ]

Don, how are the repairs to your shop coming along?

[ ... ]

Lots of tool holders (30-taper and 40-taper as well as
Aloris style) need de-rusting -- or replacement. All the end mill sets
(normal, two angles of dovetail, and Woodruff key cutters) will need to
be replaced, as well as drill bits -- but waiting about ordering these
until I have a place to put them.

[ ... ]

rusty endmills and tool holders...will still work just fine after you
hit em with the fine wire wheel. Unless they were stored in a bucket
of salt water for a couple months.

No salt water. I'll see how they clean up -- though I don't
expect anything reasonable in surface finish from the end mills. New
would be better for those -- or at least for the finish pass. :-)

Half the tooling I have at home, came home rusty. Shrug

:-)

But Ill not tell that to your insurance company.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422.../ShopDec282012

Added some photos

Too late tonight to wade though it all.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19/01/2013 10:55 AM, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/solid1.JPG
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/solid2.JPG

Nice work - mind if I ask what they are?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dennis" wrote in message
. au...
On 19/01/2013 10:55 AM, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/solid1.JPG
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/solid2.JPG

Nice work - mind if I ask what they are?

Im guessing a planetary gear housingm with an outer clutch band.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/19/2013 01:21, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Dennis" wrote in message
. au...
On 19/01/2013 10:55 AM, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/solid1.JPG
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/solid2.JPG

Nice work - mind if I ask what they are?

Im guessing a planetary gear housingm with an outer clutch band.

Damn, Sam, That's what it am. G It's a subcontracted government job,
they didn't want to build a deep draw die for just 2 pieces.

I don't know who originally said it, but
"you are that......damn......good!"

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 1/19/2013 01:21, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Dennis" wrote in message
. au...
On 19/01/2013 10:55 AM, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and
it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/solid1.JPG
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/solid2.JPG

Nice work - mind if I ask what they are?

Im guessing a planetary gear housingm with an outer clutch band.

Damn, Sam, That's what it am. G It's a subcontracted government job,
they didn't want to build a deep draw die for just 2 pieces.

I don't know who originally said it, but
"you are that......damn......good!"

Thanks, I had a pretty strong hunch, because of the notch area...

--that is a relatively large, thin-walled piece, the material alone
representing a significant cost--it takes many years of skill and
accumulated specialty knowledge to sucessfully manufacture items of this
nature out of raw stock..

Nice work...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/19/2013 01:06, Dennis wrote:
On 19/01/2013 10:55 AM, Steve Walker wrote:
Just uploaded some pix to mwdropbox.com.

Solid1 and solid2 (JPG format).

If I was rich, I'd be doing this for recreation, it's my craft, and it's
metalworking, but for now, I work to get paid.

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/solid1.JPG
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/solid2.JPG

Nice work - mind if I ask what they are?

See PrecisionMachinist's response below.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)