Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Encoder - Requires New Cover - Ideas

I need to replace a cover that looks like this...

http://www.yumabassman.com/encoderco...er%20Cover.jpg

.... with a cover more like this ...

http://www.yumabassman.com/encodercover/New%20Cover.jpg

, because the new encoder takes up more room.

I could make it out of fiberglass (messy), cut it out of a solid block of
acetal or aluminum (expensive), or fold a hack job out of sheet (sharp edges
and not pretty), but I am hoping somebody will suggest a simpler more
elegant solution.

Here is the application:

http://www.yumabassman.com/encoderco...-47-39_861.jpg

I would like to funnel any coolant away from it, and protect it from being
bumped into there on the front of the machine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
d32 d32 is offline

On Monday, January 14, 2013 11:57:23 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I need to replace a cover that looks like this... http://www.yumabassman.com/encoderco...er%20Cover.jpg ... with a cover more like this ... http://www.yumabassman.com/encodercover/New%20Cover.jpg , because the new encoder takes up more room. I could make it out of fiberglass (messy), cut it out of a solid block of acetal or aluminum (expensive), or fold a hack job out of sheet (sharp edges and not pretty), but I am hoping somebody will suggest a simpler more elegant solution. Here is the application: http://www.yumabassman.com/encoderco...-47-39_861.jpg I would like to funnel any coolant away from it, and protect it from being bumped into there on the front of the machine.

Cut the orignal in half. Then attach a section of Al channel to the open half
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"d32" wrote in message
[...]

The original feels like fiberglass with a high percentage of resin to glass.

I am actually thinking about vacuum forming a cover at this point. Still
mulling it over.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/14/2013 14:57, Bob La Londe wrote:
I need to replace a cover that looks like this...

http://www.yumabassman.com/encoderco...er%20Cover.jpg

... with a cover more like this ...

http://www.yumabassman.com/encodercover/New%20Cover.jpg

, because the new encoder takes up more room.

I could make it out of fiberglass (messy), cut it out of a solid block
of acetal or aluminum (expensive), or fold a hack job out of sheet
(sharp edges and not pretty), but I am hoping somebody will suggest a
simpler more elegant solution.

Here is the application:

http://www.yumabassman.com/encoderco...-47-39_861.jpg

I would like to funnel any coolant away from it, and protect it from
being bumped into there on the front of the machine.

Depends on rigidity required. Go to the store and look at tupperware
style stuff. May find one that's hackable without being ugly.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:57:23 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I need to replace a cover that looks like this...

http://www.yumabassman.com/encoderco...er%20Cover.jpg

... with a cover more like this ...

http://www.yumabassman.com/encodercover/New%20Cover.jpg

, because the new encoder takes up more room.

I could make it out of fiberglass (messy), cut it out of a solid block
of acetal or aluminum (expensive), or fold a hack job out of sheet
(sharp edges and not pretty), but I am hoping somebody will suggest a
simpler more elegant solution.

Here is the application:

http://www.yumabassman.com/encoderco...-47-39_861.jpg

I would like to funnel any coolant away from it, and protect it from
being bumped into there on the front of the machine.

Given that your new cover is open to the bottom, why not just whack a
hole in the bottom of your old cover? If that's not enough, then pop
rivet some sheet aluminum to the old cover to extend it.

Or, do you want it to look purdy?

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I need to replace a cover that looks like this...

http://www.yumabassman.com/encoderco...er%20Cover.jpg

... with a cover more like this ...

http://www.yumabassman.com/encodercover/New%20Cover.jpg

, because the new encoder takes up more room.

I could make it out of fiberglass (messy), cut it out of a solid block of
acetal or aluminum (expensive), or fold a hack job out of sheet (sharp
edges and not pretty), but I am hoping somebody will suggest a simpler
more elegant solution.

Here is the application:

http://www.yumabassman.com/encoderco...-47-39_861.jpg

I would like to funnel any coolant away from it, and protect it from being
bumped into there on the front of the machine.

Tuna can and silicone calk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:12:57 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"d32" wrote in message
[...]

Scrounge a disposable "kidney bowl" from your local hospital.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada