Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ideas to cover an ugly beam?

I have a 4"x10"x14' ugly-as-heck beam in a room that I recently
remodeled. It is a knotty doug fir beam that has been stained dark
green. This is the ridge beam in a loft bedroom.

Any ideas on how to cover this up without spending a fortune? The rest
of the room is drywall and painted white, whith fir trim around the
windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 4"x10"x14' ugly-as-heck beam in a room that I recently
remodeled. It is a knotty doug fir beam that has been stained dark
green. This is the ridge beam in a loft bedroom.

Any ideas on how to cover this up without spending a fortune? The rest
of the room is drywall and painted white, whith fir trim around the
windows.

Drywall

I have a similar situation in my family room and it was covered with drywall
and painted the same as the ceiling. Blends in and does not look all that
bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

idea #1: Drywall over it with some 3/8" drywall. - it'll require taping
of four corners, which can be a pain.

idea #2: Buy some clear pine planks and cover with those, prime and
paint.

idea #3: buy some panelling or bead-board and cover with that.

idea #4: paint over it, though I'm not sure what was used as a stain so
paint may not work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article .com, louie
says...

idea #1: Drywall over it with some 3/8" drywall. - it'll require taping
of four corners, which can be a pain.

idea #2: Buy some clear pine planks and cover with those, prime and
paint.

idea #3: buy some panelling or bead-board and cover with that.

idea #4: paint over it, though I'm not sure what was used as a stain so
paint may not work.

Try #4 first, prime first. Paint color of the ceiling.

If you don't like the effect - go for #2. (although I'm not sure what ismeant
by "clear pine planks".

I actually had beams installed in my cathedral-ceiling'd addition. Now they're
covered with unfinished pine planks. I get compliments on it, although that
suprises me - to me they're just waiting there unfinished and awaiting the new
windows and trim, after which I will stain the trim and and the beams.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 4"x10"x14' ugly-as-heck beam in a room that I recently
remodeled. It is a knotty doug fir beam that has been stained dark
green. This is the ridge beam in a loft bedroom.

Any ideas on how to cover this up without spending a fortune? The rest
of the room is drywall and painted white, whith fir trim around the
windows.

Why not just prime it and paint?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 4"x10"x14' ugly-as-heck beam in a room that I recently
remodeled. It is a knotty doug fir beam that has been stained dark
green. This is the ridge beam in a loft bedroom.

Any ideas on how to cover this up without spending a fortune? The rest
of the room is drywall and painted white, whith fir trim around the
windows.

Had the same situation. Had it drywalled, bull nosed and textured. Made me
wonder why I ever looked at that nearly black beam up there for twenty
years.

Slick, quick, and inexpensive.

Steve